Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I could not have guessed when I started this thread on grease cookie and wad that it would go in this direction. This site is amazing sometimes. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
derby, that's why this forum doesn't see much use. To many trolls and no moderators. Any usable information gets lost behind the postings of "exspurts" like the swampas and the labrick from pennstate.
Hard to have a conversation that means much in this sort of conditions.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
and too many wannabees.but can't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hubert
and too many wannabees.but can't.

Who else besides you and Swampy? You two seem to be the only ones that fit that discription around here.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ranch13
derby, that's why this forum doesn't see much use. To many trolls and no moderators. Any usable information gets lost behind the postings of "exspurts" like the swampas and the labrick from pennstate.
Hard to have a conversation that means much in this sort of conditions.

Ya, I'm finding that out.

It seems like just about any thread on any one of the forums turns into a pizzing contest after the first page and any useful information is lost.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
DD, That's pretty much the specialty of 24hr. Keeps potatoes on dinner plates for the site owner I guess.

the Shiloh forum is certainly the best place to go for actual information, though, like all the internet, everything has to be verified personally.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes it's all my fault. I asked a simple question and get jumped on with both feet. I will keep my dumb questions to myself from now on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it's all my fault. I asked a simple question and get jumped on with both feet.

Not to pour gas on the fire, but the only "mistake" you made Hubert was letting the cat out of the bag that you've "been shooting BP for 40 years" and had never heard of a grease cookie. I have been shooting BP for only about 22 years in MLs and 15 years in BPCR type firearms. Found out early on that most who use grease cookies either have been using bullets with inadequate grease groove capacity, an ineffective lubricant or are trying to drive the bullet too fast (i.e. - too much powder). Some rifles are just finicky and need a lot of trial and error experimentation to get something it likes. I, personally, have never used grease cookies but I had a number of "mentors" who had done a lot of/all the experimenting prior to passing on their knowledge my way. None of us (yes, I include myself) know all the answers, but a bunch of us (others more than me) know a lot of them or will let others know where to go to get an answer. So keep asking the questions . . . assuming you are open to answers that don't fit your preconceived notions. Also know that even the "right" answer may not be the exact solution to your specific situation.

Most of the info I have seen given on this forum have been good, honest, thoughtful insights to a varying sport.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I started shooting BP in 1971 when I came back from Nam. and no I never heard of a grease cookie. maby I never read the same books as you all did. If I have read about them then it has slipped my mind. I shot compition in a rod and gun club for 6 years and if someone in the club was using them they would of shared the info with others.I don't now what youmean by I let the cat out of the bag? do you mean that I am lying about what I don't know but would have if I had of been doing the things I say I was? you can rest assured that there are a lot of things I don't know, for instance I worked horses all my life but know very little about the art of riding them. I don't lie or make stuff up to try to impress anyone.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know if anyone ever gave you a straight answer to what a grease cookie is, so I will.

It's bullet lube. Usually sandwiched between the base of the bullet and the powder with a wad on either end. The wad can be a normal fiber wad or wax paper, or a poly wad, or whatever you like. The lube portion of the cookie can be anywhere from 0.1" thick to 3/8" thick.

If you shoot grease groove bullets with grooves large enough, the cookie is usually not necessary. If you shoot a paper-patched bullet, the cookie can be essential for some applications.

The lube itself can be any of a variety of concoctions, featuring eyes of newts, etc. Or it might be as simple as plain beeswax or even paraffin, as seen in some military rounds.

The cookie can have four different applications. It can lube the bullet (but of course since it is BEHIND the bullet, it really can't lube the first one, only the subsequent bullets.

It can help seal the bore until the bullet obdurates and seals the bore to prevent gas cutting.

It can lay down a thin layer of lube on the walls of the bore making it more difficult for the fouling to stick to the steel and thus easier for the subsequent shot to navigate the barrel w/o damage.

It can also be a means of occupying case space in the event you want to shoot a big long cartridge like a .45-3.25" w/o paying the penalty of a huge recoil.

Perhaps a 5th purpose of the grease cookie is to serve as dead goat stand in that everyone can kick and fight over. But I don't think that is really a traditional use of the grease cookie.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it's all my fault. I asked a simple question and get jumped on with both feet. I will keep my dumb questions to myself from now on.

Asking the question wasn't the problem in my opinion it was the grin emoticon after the question that was the problem. Many, including myself, thought you were joking. Then you keep the joke going and more emoticons. If you ask a serious question skip the emoticon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez . . . a guy tries to stand up for you and get you off the hook and you jump him. YOU admitted to not knowing what a grease cookie was and then put a smiley face at the end. Where did I even IMPLY that you had lied??? NEVER MIND. Keep digging . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was trying to smile away my embarresment of not knowing something. crazy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.