Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gents,

I usually prefer bolt actions, but would like a semi-auto rifle in .22lr or .17 HM2. What is a quality semi auto, new or old? T/C made one a few years ago that looks nice (threaded receiver, nice trigger, steel receiver, etc.).

I've had a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 but didn't care for either. The 60 didn't seem as reliable as the 10/22, and forgive me but I don't like the Ruger! I don't like the painted alloy receiver, crappy trigger, barrel attachment method, etc. I don't criticize others for liking the 10/22, but it feels more like a toy instead of well made firearm (I do like Rugers in general though).

And, I'd rather not buy a 10/22 and replace everything but the receiver! Probably easier to start with a different receiver to begin with. I know the 10/22 can be a sweet shooter, but would like something with a little bit better fit, finish, and design if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/30/12.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A Remington Model 552 might suit your fancy.

http://www.remington.com/product-fa...s/autoloading-model-552-speedmaster.aspx

They have been made for 50 years or so and are still in production. Another older rifle you might like would be a Springfield/Stevens Model 87A or 187.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spr...mp;ved=0CHMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=585

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 05/30/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Great suggestion. I like tube feeds and the fact that it handles S, L, and LR.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a T/C and it was a great gun, just don't waste your money on the 10 round clip.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 552 for several years. I liked my 572, 39, and old 510 better so sold it when I was thinning the herd. Accurate and fed well. No problems, just had to keep it clean like any other firearm.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't shot one yet but the new CZ 512 seems interesting, and if it is as good as their bolt guns it should be a sweet shooting rifle.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Browning makes a nice take-down auto-loader.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Gents,

I usually prefer bolt actions, but would like a semi-auto rifle in .22lr or .17 HM2. What is a quality semi auto, new or old? T/C made one a few years ago that looks nice (threaded receiver, nice trigger, steel receiver, etc.).

I've had a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 but didn't care for either. The 60 didn't seem as reliable as the 10/22, and forgive me but I don't like the Ruger! I don't like the painted alloy receiver, crappy trigger, barrel attachment method, etc. I don't criticize others for liking the 10/22, but it feels more like a toy instead of well made firearm (I do like Rugers in general though).

And, I'd rather not buy a 10/22 and replace everything but the receiver! Probably easier to start with a different receiver to begin with. I know the 10/22 can be a sweet shooter, but would like something with a little bit better fit, finish, and design if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jason

I replaced EVERYTHING but the receiver on my 10/22 over a several year period.There is a reason the 10/22 has spawned an entire aftermarket industry.Wound up with a really sweet shooting reliable rifle.

Finally decided to start from scratch with a MOA
SS receiver and apply all I've learned as far as parts,modifications,etc through trial and error.The main lesson I learned is,the most expensive is not necessarily the best.

Enlisted Men are Stupid, but Extremely Sly and Cunning, and bear Considerable Watching.

US Army Officers Manual of 1894
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 but didn't care for either.

I also played with both and both guns got sold off since they didnt hold my interest but now a friend recently purchased Rugers new take down stainless 10\22 and it seems fit and finish is made to a higher standard that my old 10\22, I am close to grabbing one on my next trip to the dealer!

Ted
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Get a Kidd Supergrade. You won't have a cheap painted finish on the receiver, a poor trigger, or a mediocre barrel and you won't need to buy anything but a scope.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Remington 552 and Browning are good suggestions. If you can find one (try gunbroker) Weatherby used to sell what looked to me to be a high quality semiauto and if you want to spend some real money a Winchester 63.

The New 552s are nice rifles but have a raised comb which makes their open sights pretty much useless. IMO they're a scope only rifle. The new ones are also around $500 or more. Remington's been making these since the mid 1950s and you can find good used ones for about half that without the raised comb.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/31/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've ran 60s and 10/22s, but never really had stellar accuracy. I had one 60 that shot fairly decent with CCI green tag, enough to win one match I shot it in(factory, sub $200 class).

My Remington Speedmaster is very accurate with CCI mini mag HPs. Sub 1/2" at 50, plenty good enough for me. OTOH, my Rem Pumpmaster is not nearly as accurate as my SM.

One thing to be wary of on the SM is to be sure to thouroughly clean the chamber after shooting shorter loads. The fouling will accumilate and can cause LRs to stick just short and the rifle WILL fire and blow the case out. I've had it happen twice and it can be a PITA to get the case out of the chamber when the head completely seperates. Not to mention it's a bit rough on the ears.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nylon 66

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at the prices on "gunbroker" and based on what's there the Weatherby, Browning or Win. Model 63 are all, to me anyway, real money, $650 and up. 552s are about what I said.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/31/12.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Great suggestion. I like tube feeds and the fact that it handles S, L, and LR.

I'll vote for the 552 also.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned/shot all of the rifles mentioned.

The Marlin rifles (Model 60 and variants) are, by far, the best value for the money as far as accuracy. Almost all Marlin rifles will shoot great.....but this is ofset by the fact that they are generally fairly plain and ugly. They also require more frequent cleaning than the other rifles mentioned. Neglect a Marlin Model 60 and it WILL fail to feed and fire. Clean it regularly and it will outperform rifles costing twice as much.

The Weatherby rifles do look great and perform adiquitely. You will pay a premium price for the Weatherby name and "looks", but generally not get an equal return in accuracy or reliability.

The Remington 552 rifles are decent looking and very reliable. They require a normal amount or maintainance, but not eccessively. They do have the added benifit of working with any ammo they are fed (.22 LR, .22 Long, .22 Short) which can be an advantage to some. They are not as "pretty" as the Weatherby rifles, nor as "ugly" as the Marlins...but generally they "work" every time.

There is one Winchester rifle I really like. It is not the normally suggested Model 63.....which is a great, but awkward design. No, it is the short-lived Model 490 which was a Model 100 look-a-like. This has been a reliable and accurate rifle, but does require occational cleaning to remain functional.

Now we come to the best of the lot. This is the Ruger 10/22. It might not be the "pretty" candidate (although in the "Deluxe" version that has cut checkering....it ain't bad) and there are some that are better. I'd like it a lot better if everything was steel instead of cast alluminium....but it ain't bad. Considering the accuracy (which is most often outstanding), looks and value-for-the-dollar, the Ruger is head-and-shoulders above anything on the market.

Unless you are going to regularly shoot .22 Shorts (damn seldom today) or want to impress your friend with a "name" (Weatherby) the way to go for most is the Ruger 10/22. I p-refer the "Deluxe" with cut checkering, but the "Standard" version is just as good.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If money isn't an issue, hands-down, go with a Volquartsen. They are extremely well made and scary accurate!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a T/C R-55 Benchrest model that is very nice but it is mainly a range rifle and has been discontinued. I'm thinking hard about the CZ 512 mentioned earlier. More of a field piece and would fit right in with my 2 CZ 452 bolt actions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The T/C 's mentioned are great rifles. My Silver Lynx is the most accurate .22 I have.

[Linked Image]

The Sporter in 17mII is an absolute laser, and mucho funno in a skwirkle patch....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Personally, I like the walnut stocked Classic's better. Longer, lighter barrel and a not-so-chunky stock

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well,
I have a few rimfires, but the only semi that I have left is a 15yr old 10/22. After I bought it I was at Shilen on a Sunday when they were testing 10/22 barrels in the shop. I was lucky to get the best test barrel. They said they couldn't sell a test barrel to the general public and offered it to me at a very very good price. I was also able to buy one of the few Jewell 10/22 triggers. I changed out the stock and did some shimming of the trigger housing, changed the extractor and firing pin. It shoots very well. Don't use it much any more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 83 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.