Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I finally got around to taking some photos of my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal rifle . I spent the last few days shooting this rifle . I changes out the nipple to the Red Hot Knight and changed the sights to the Lyman Fiber Optic replacements they offer. I like the original sight and they worked great in good light but for early morning and late evening the Fiber Optics help out ageing eyes in the Deer Woods. I have settled on the Hornady .530 Round Ball and the Pillow Tick .18 patch and the CCI # 11 Magnum Cap with 90 gr's of American Pioneer FFFG powder. I will use this for my Muzzle Loading Hunting this year and let my Inlines take a break. I love shooting the Hawkins Style Rifles and the American Pioneer sure does clean up very easy and without all the stink of Blackpowder. It feel kind of good to go back to Muzzle Loading Hunting the way it was intended to be when they started the separate Muzzle Loading Deer Season. This rifle is shooting ragged holes at 25 yards and keeping the group in a two inch circle at 50 yards, which is the best i can do with open sights.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I love the classic lines on the Lymans, and sounds like you've found a load that works. I have a TC Hawken that I hope to break this year and shoot finally.

Nice looking stock. Don't see many of these in left hand either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO the Great Plains Rifles are the best reproduction rifles on the market right now.

Mine is a 50 cal and I use the Lyman peep sight for hunting.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I had the Lyman Peep on my other LGP but being LH it kind of got in my way cocking the hammer and i can shoot the open sights just as well so choose to go this route on this one. I have the Lyman Peep and may change later down the road. What powder are you using in your 50?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweet. I love the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and have loved it ever since first seeing one probably thirty years ago. Beautiful rifle that won't break the bank.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am shooting Goex 3-f, 40 grains for target / match shooting and 80 grains for hunting. My rifle shoots best with 495 round ball, an 18 thick denim patch, and moose milk lube.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The GPR is a great gun. I've had 3 of them, and will probably buy another one before i'm done.

You might want to experiment with other powders though. APP powder is not very consistent, and sucks up moisture like a sponge.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm shooting a dry patch with the American Pioneer 3F and the clean up is just a couple of damp patches. You should give the American Pioneer a try unless you just like cleaning up the Black Powder mess

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've tried all BP powders and subs. I consider APP the worse of the bunch.

They all clean up with water, but I don't choose a powder for how it cleans up.

Your choice though. Have fun with the gun.

btw Just cleaning the barrel with patches won't get the breech channel clean. At some point that will affect ignition.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 06/01/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have tried them all and you give up nothing with the AP 3F except a mess to clean up. I always take the nipple out and clean separate. I have been using and hunting with muzzle loaders since the early 70's and have never had a misfire in the woods while hunting. If you use AP in the side lock then 3F is the only one to use. I use AP in my Omega and Black Horn 209 in my Encore and Pyrodex P in my Whites. I used to use Black Powder when i first started, then Pyrodex and then Triple7 , now AP and Blackhorn for me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
APP isn't messy to clean up, you can spit down the bore and it will remove the APP fouling.

Goex IMO was the messiest to clean that i've shot so far.

For my sidelocks, i much prefer pyrodex RS.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to use RS in my last LGP rifle but after trying AP 3F i will never go back. AP 2F is to En-consistence with patch round ball since it needs a really tight fitting slug to get proper ignition . # 11 Magnum Cap does a great job with the AP 3F . I prefer shooting them more than cleaning. I love to be able to sit down and shoot 50 shots without have to clean other than a damp patch down the barrel between shots. If a man is happier shooting the dirty stuff then more power to him.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Really, you don't give up anything?

Goex............1255fps
Swiss............1638
Schuetzen.....1347
Triple 7.........1518
Pyrodex RS...1292
Pioneer.........1045

http://www.chuckhawks.com/american_pioneer_powder.htm

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/215...ge=2&sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 06/01/12.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Deer won't be able to tell the difference in a couple hundred feet per second, plus the higher vel doesn't always shoot the best. I will chronograph my 90 gr of AP 3F and see what speed it is giving because 3F using gives higher vel than the 2F . When i used T7 i always got the best groups with around 80 gr with patch round ball and since i never shoot past 100 yards with the patch round ball i never checked the speed. I killed this deer with patch round ball and 80 gr of T7 54 CAL Hawkins. I have already read both reports you posted the link to.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not so much the velocity, but the inconsistent velocity. That's what makes the accuracy so bad compared to other powders. That will affect your hunting.

I know it cleans up easily. I used it for a little while shooting CAS, but after missing a few targets I gave up on it.

Just trying to help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My muzzle loading club requires real black powder and patched round ball for all matches. As long as I can get it, I will stick with black powder. Cleaning a rifle isn't a chore to me.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not questioning you choice of powder . I'm just saying I have got really consistent performance in my ML'S from the AP and not saying your experience was totally different . Believe me if it didn't work for me i would be using something else. Me personally , i have never liked Black Powder and it would be my last choice of propellant in my ML'S and PDS I hate cleaning up from Black Powder .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A lot of guys feel that way. That's why the subs are popular.

Anyway, you have a good gun now. Go out and slay something with it.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice rifle Bea Congrats, you gonna bring it on the hog hunt next year?

I have a boat load of .570 round balls for my T/C 58 cal, have never shot them, would a 58 be ok on deer and pigs using a round ball? they are made by Hornady, the rifle came with 8 fifty count boxes.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never hunted pigs, but a .58 PRB will knock any deer DRT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.