-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last month I saw an early C-series Belgian Browning HP for sale.
It was a 1969 or 70. Like this one it was in stellar shape and comes
with the black Browning pouch. Only issue, the guy selling it is asking $1150 shocked
After reading this I may get it any way. First I need to call him back
and see if it is still for sale.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ya'll are reminding me I need to send mine to Cylinder & Slide for some fixing up smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
As to future value, best left as original.

For a C-series I agree with you for gun show or LGS types of sales, but internet sales hold or increase the value if a 'known' gunsmith does the work (keep the invoice, etc.). Ditto for a sale to a knowledgeable shooter.

I'd leave a T-series alone, but because of that I wouldn't buy a T-series unless I really stole it.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice HP, Mackay! You'll rack up epic style points with that!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i wish i could figure out what is wrong with my photobucket site, and i would upload some pictures. Few years ago i ran accross a Austrian P35 made for the Austrian police force circa 1948-1949. Has the austrian crown markings on it. These were imported for a little while

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mackay,

Sorry I�m so late to the dance. That�s a nice C-Series Hi Power indeed, I�d guesstimate the value at right around $1,000.00, perhaps a little more if you find someone who truly appreciates such a fine classic pistol. I believe the red paint on the grips was to protect against �salt wood� that Browning was cursed with at the time. Many Hi Power & Safari series rifles were adversely affected with wood that was �salt cured� which left the wood impregnated with salt. Browning bought a LOT of that wood and it turns out almost all of it was bad. I believe they heat dried the wood and made pistol grips out of what was salvageable and painted the inside of the grips as an additional barrier to corrosion from salt cured wood. Honestly I�ve never seen rust under red grips that was any worse than rust under any other wood grip. Wood grips will retain moisture, simple as that. It seems that the red paint solution was an effective one; I wouldn�t change those grips.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hey There Kevin!

I was wondering when our resident Hi Power expert was going to make an appearance. smile I do recall reading about Browning's issues with salt in the wood of rifle stocks. I never considered that there might have been fallout into the handgun line/grips.

That is an interesting observation and makes complete sense. Fortunately there is not a lick of rust on this example. I am guessing if it has not shown up in the last 4 decades, I am reasonably safe.

Doing a little research led me to Stephan Camp's website "Hi Powers and Handguns". Needless to say, perusing that site led me down more than a few rabbit trails about Hi Powers.

Thanks for your observations on the HP Kevin.

MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stephen Camp passed away about a year ago. He was a true gentleman in every sense.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
JOG,

I was not aware of that. That is unfortunate. There are very few gunwriter types that I care for reading their material. I have enjoyed reading a number of his articles while educating myself a little bit further on Hi Powers.

Now I will make a point to read more of his material.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Hey There Kevin!

I was wondering when our resident Hi Power expert was going to make an appearance. smile I do recall reading about Browning's issues with salt in the wood of rifle stocks. I never considered that there might have been fallout into the handgun line/grips.

That is an interesting observation and makes complete sense. Fortunately there is not a lick of rust on this example. I am guessing if it has not shown up in the last 4 decades, I am reasonably safe.

Doing a little research led me to Stephan Camp's website "Hi Powers and Handguns". Needless to say, perusing that site led me down more than a few rabbit trails about Hi Powers.

Thanks for your observations on the HP Kevin.

MS

Stephen and I go back to the early �90�s with one of the first shooting forums, the Prodigy Shooting Sports Bulletin Board. Then we met up again several years back Stephen and I were both member of a Hi Power�s forum that was pretty good. Unfortunately that site was taken down by a very malicious attack and they lacked the funds to get it back running quickly, so most of the forum members sort of dispersed. After that incident, Stephen decided to create Hi Power�s and Handguns which is a great site with some great information; Stephen was a very sharp individual, we�ll always miss him.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.