Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/2012/06/08/ready-or-not-stagflation-is-here/

The solution is Austrian - free markets, sound currency, (extremely) limited government - if we can avoid the Nation States killing us all as they fall over and collapse, and we can preserve our technology, this is the best news you will ever hate.

Romney just needs to put these numbers front and center...

14.5% Unemployment
7% Inflation

Make it a mantra and make it a landslide election.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Penguin
Maybe, but if you sit around waiting for the inflationary impact of a lot of that 'stimulus' you'll never see it. It has already had its impact... Preserving a previous inflationary event, the overpricing of housing.

A hell of a lot of money was used for this purpose, to prevent price discovery in housing. It was extinguished in cancelling deflation. It may still no be enough, we may still see downward pricing in housing if the central bank or the GSEs pull their support for the MBS market.

Will
Smoke and mirrors. All that was accomplished by application of Keynesian pseudo-scientific monetary economics was an adjustment in who takes the hits and when, kicking the can down the road, but the can keeps getting bigger the further down the road it gets kicked. At some point the piper must be paid. Better sooner than later.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i love the games we play on the internet. just how sound can a currency be? 90 percent, 100 percent, 110 percent?

who benefits most at each level of "soundness?"

don't get me wrong, i'm as fiscally conservative as anyone here, no doubt.

but, if someone can beat the incumbent, then what will they espouse or say? we don't want who can knock out the incumbent without a viable alternative vision.

the vision, now we're talking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Smoke and mirrors. All that was accomplished by Keynesian pseudo-scientific monetary economics was an adjustment in who takes the hits and when, kicking the can down the road, but the can keeps getting bigger the further down the road it gets kicked. At some point the piper must get paid.

Keynes didn't tell us to make the dollar into a global reserve currency, he specifically warned us against it. Keynes didn't tell us to run a massive fiscal deficit in times of plenty the Chicago school adherents did... and even had the nerve to tell us 'deficits don't matter'. Keynes didn't tell us to run a massive trade deficit, he told us decades ago it would bankrupt us. Keynes didn't use the central bank to underprice monetary costs and induce asset bubbles, a couple Ayn Rand disciples did.

Keynes was not the end all and be all, he made mistakes like everyone else. But blaming him for a lot of our troubles is not only wrong but wrongheaded.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Smoke and mirrors. All that was accomplished by Keynesian pseudo-scientific monetary economics was an adjustment in who takes the hits and when, kicking the can down the road, but the can keeps getting bigger the further down the road it gets kicked. At some point the piper must get paid.

Keynes didn't tell us to make the dollar into a global reserve currency, he specifically warned us against it. Keynes didn't tell us to run a massive fiscal deficit in times of plenty the Chicago school adherents did... and even had the nerve to tell us 'deficits don't matter'. Keynes didn't tell us to run a massive trade deficit, he told us decades ago it would bankrupt us. Keynes didn't use the central bank to underprice monetary costs and induce asset bubbles, a couple Ayn Rand disciples did.

Keynes was not the end all and be all, he made mistakes like everyone else. But blaming him for a lot of our troubles is not only wrong but wrongheaded.

Will
Keynes provided the tools and justifications for what's currently going on. He popularized the notion of pseudo-scientifically centrally planning the monetary supply in order to prosper today at the expense of the future by successive bubble creation, regarding which, as he proclaimed, we're all ultimately dead anyway. Well, the future is now, and while he's dead, we're not.

PS I'm aware that he didn't recommend constant expansion of government spending, but he failed to account for human nature in an environment where such a thing is possible.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually what Keynes provided was a framework by which a surplus accrued in times of plenty could be brought to bear to prevent an overcorrection to the demand side in times of recession. An overcorrection that would need to be corrected when the stress of the moment subsided.

He never once advocated preventing recessions or preventing market mechanisms from price discovery. Those are bogeymen that are thrown out for political cover. Running deficits in times of plenty, going head over heels into debt in times of stress, and doing so to prevent price discovery are most certainly NOT what he envisioned.

Keyne's biggest sin was that he didn't account for human nature. He didn't account for those who would sacrifice the future of the nation for short term political/economic gain. The trouble isn't Keynes it is the fact that we follow Friedman when times are good and Keynes when times are tough. You cannot have that level of irresponsibility and expect long term success.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Keyne's biggest sin was that he didn't account for human nature.
And there is our point of agreement.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One big mistake was allowing Friedman to have a voice and Phil Gramm, his boot licker, to have a senate seat.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree but the reason the velocity has been slow is because it has been used to fill the black hole left by the housing bubble. It has in effect been extinguished.

The banks use the spread to limp toward solvency and the rest of us put up with a crappy economy while the central bank takes care of them. They have proven to be far too politically powerful to be allowed to be subject to the forces of capitalism that the rest of us face.

Eventually I believe we will have a large dose of inflation. And I agree that it will come from foreign currency being released into the market. The dollar as global currency reserve is on borrowed time. It allowed cheap energy but it also allowed the US to be stripped of its manufacturing base. The end of its regime will mean a reversing of this process but as of now there is no viable alternative. Eventually I think there will be several global currencies and the dollar will be one of them. But it is an extremely complicated process and there will be enough pain to go around and then some.

Hell it is happening around us as we speak and 90% of Americans still don't see it. A good many think reducing regulations or doing away with government unions will make us globally competitive, lol. This thing is so big that trimming around the edges won't even touch it. This is a total shakeup of the status quo. It has been going on for decades and isn't halfway done yet, not even close.

Will

I guess I'll ask a foolish question? Where is all this excess currency going to flow from? From what I can tell there are very few nations around with a currency "surplus". Are we going to lend them the money? Just askin'.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't know about you guys, but we keep all our receipts. One year ago, we were paying 25% less on groceries. When Obama took office gasoline was $1.70/gallon, today it is over $3.

If they used 1980 methods to account for inflation, we have about a 12% inflation rate and 10% unemployment.

Current methods include the price of a new home, but no the price of groceries or gasoline. They say they are "too volitile" and "subject to seasonal changes". I say it is BS, because everyone has to have food and fuel to function in this society.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well I gues they could invest in real estate which might prop up real estate values and end for some folks "being under water." We're doing the same thing with our expenses. Being both retired and on a fixed income plus my wife and I working part-time we are keeping our heads above water-but just barely.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Roundup
I agree but the reason the velocity has been slow is because it has been used to fill the black hole left by the housing bubble. It has in effect been extinguished.

The banks use the spread to limp toward solvency and the rest of us put up with a crappy economy while the central bank takes care of them. They have proven to be far too politically powerful to be allowed to be subject to the forces of capitalism that the rest of us face.

Eventually I believe we will have a large dose of inflation. And I agree that it will come from foreign currency being released into the market. The dollar as global currency reserve is on borrowed time. It allowed cheap energy but it also allowed the US to be stripped of its manufacturing base. The end of its regime will mean a reversing of this process but as of now there is no viable alternative. Eventually I think there will be several global currencies and the dollar will be one of them. But it is an extremely complicated process and there will be enough pain to go around and then some.

Hell it is happening around us as we speak and 90% of Americans still don't see it. A good many think reducing regulations or doing away with government unions will make us globally competitive, lol. This thing is so big that trimming around the edges won't even touch it. This is a total shakeup of the status quo. It has been going on for decades and isn't halfway done yet, not even close.

Will

I guess I'll ask a foolish question? Where is all this excess currency going to flow from? From what I can tell there are very few nations around with a currency "surplus". Are we going to lend them the money? Just askin'.

Currency today is X's and O's on a computer screen. Real currecny is king because there is so little of the real stuff out there.

I'd love to see Congress mint dollar and two dallar coins eventually working up to five, ten, and twenty dollar coins.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Don't know about you guys, but we keep all our receipts. One year ago, we were paying 25% less on groceries. When Obama took office gasoline was $1.70/gallon, today it is over $3.

If they used 1980 methods to account for inflation, we have about a 12% inflation rate and 10% unemployment.

Current methods include the price of a new home, but no the price of groceries or gasoline. They say they are "too volitile" and "subject to seasonal changes". I say it is BS, because everyone has to have food and fuel to function in this society.
Of course it's BS. If they actually measured real price inflation, they'd have to pay out significantly more in benefits, which they will have to print up, thus triggering hyperinflation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,276 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.