-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've handled much older "Pumas" some years ago and some were not very smooth, but my fairly new Rossi M92 is very slick. 24" oct. barrel in 44 mag. BTW, the Puma brand is now owned by someone else (Legacy Arms, I think?), so Rossi (Taurus) rifles from South America, are no longer called that.

To the question of comfortable to shoot, ya know it went off shooting fairly stout 200gr XTP loads, but it certainly isn't objectionable.

Considered buying a Puma carbine in 44 mag many years ago, at a small local shop, but since I've been spoiled by the actions in my old M94 and the 336SC Marlin, put it back down. My Rossi M92 doesn't even come close to the action on my 1906 vintage M92 Winchester, but I didn't expect it to. I like them both.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My Rossi is about 15 years old.It was rough when I bought it,but I took it apart and stoned all the rough edges in the action andit is very smooth now.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How is the 92 for feeding .357? How about .38 Special?

What's the trigger like?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some feed 38 ,but most won't feed 38swc. Some will not feed .357swc. Trigger is average. Nothing to brag about,but not too bad.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fair enuf. Thanks.

So what is a good bullet for the .357, emphasis on feeding and accuracy potential, as well as cost? I'm not looking for power or to kill stuff, just targets.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are just shooting at targets,load up some 158 gr round Nose Flat Points. Buy from Missouri Bullet as they only charge a flat rate USPS box for up to 70#'s, about $13.

My load in .357 case is 4.5 gr of either Universal Clays or W231. Unique would be close to that also. Winchester LP primers. I have probably loaded about 15K rounds with that load. I used it for Action Pistol and Cowboy SASS matches.
My Rossi was most accurate at 4.6 gr of Universal Clays.

For more serious work,I load 14 gr of Alliant 2400 with a 158 GR Hornady XTP.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I found a little Brazilian Rossi in .357 and fell in love with it. Someone had shortened the mag-tube to the end of the forearm, then replaced the steel butt-plate with a recoil-pad. I was going to do the same thing, so I was ahead of the game.
Why a recoil-pad? When ya place it behind the kitchen door, it won't "skitter" across the linolium floor. (I can just "see" some of the guys cringe when they read of placing a loaded rifle against the wall, and having linolium floors, lol) AND... the chamber isn't loaded.
Anyway, when it's needed, it's there.
My .357 feeds anything, and smoothly. I only load handloads, and only use Lyman SWCs and only in Magnum cases...Flawless!
I installed a Lyman tang-mounted peepsight, and the LOP is 13 1/2". It works just great in the pickup, or from horseback.
Now...the kicker. I carried it for about three years, but for the last two it's been a 24" .256 Mag. It's mostly been shot with a Lyman 64gr LFPGC, but RP 86gr jacketed, Speer 75gr FP, and Hornady 60gr FPs slide down the tube with alacrity.
I really enjoy it, you will, too.
Have fun,
Gene

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have both a Rossi and Marlin both recent production. I only plink with them, don't really take them hunting and I really like both. The Marlin is a much nicer gun, but I find myself grabbing the Rossi most of the time, it is a really fun gun, cycles everything I've tried in it .38's and .357's.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you want harder bullets ,order from Dardas Cast bullets in Michigan.Nice folks and they also only ship USPS flat rate boxes.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jdm953
Dont leave out a Browning 92.Just in case you stumble across one.May be the best of the bunch.

+1 on the Browning. That may be the best 92 ever.

I wouldn't want a Rossi unless Steve Young had worked it over.

DF

Edited to add, the 92 isn't held in very high esteem in cowboy action circles, as it has a bad rep for stove piping and not being that good at running fast. It's also COAL sensitive and tolerates some bullet shapes better than others. You gotta work with it to find the optimal COAL and bullet type.

OTOH, the 92 is the strongest of it's kind, stronger than the Marlin and others. Ever see a Marlin chambered in .454 Cassul? Not likely, but you'll find 92's so chambered.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/02/12.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love my Rossi 357 , it has a 16inch barrel.....and is as handy as sliced bread....a great short range Deer gun and a even greater SD carbine ....!!!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i have a puma 92 its chambered in .45 colt one of my favorite guns there great shooters i did the action job from steve young its smooth cycles better than my marlin 336 i like the metal curved butt plate fits in my shoulder well i shoot fiocchi cowboy loads out of it and it has almost no kick at all ive been lookin into gettin a new rossi in .357 as well to plink with since .45 is a little expensive to play with since i dont hand load

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore
They are a little rough in the action,but can be smoothed up.The 92 is a top ejection so scoping would be a problem. Mine is just as accurate as any Marlin or Winchester.

I have Rossi Pumas (Amadeo Rossi M92s) in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull.

I was lucky to get my Pumas before the new company "Braztech" bought the Rossi company and added the stupid safety on top of the bolt.

They can be rough cycling NIB but clean up & smooth out nice.
My Rossis are the most accurate leveguns I have & I own Marlins & real Winchesters. The Rossis may not be as purty but they are MORE accurate.

They can be mounted with Scout scopes.

Google "Rossi Rifleman Forum" and there you'll find lotsa information about Rossi 92s.

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.