Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Our son is getting married this fall. I know about a fall wedding, busy hunting at that time (LOL).

Any way I paid the vast majority of the wedding when our daughter got married 10 years ago. It turns out that our son's bride parents will only chip in a small amount. I feel the burden is put on me. My wife & son are keeping silent on the issue.
Any thoughts??

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I paid for my own wedding so I would say that any amount of money that you or the brides parents kick in would, and should, be a blessing. Pay what you can afford and if they don't like it, they can scale back the wedding.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I paid for my own wedding so I would say that any amount of money that you or the brides parents kick in would, and should, be a blessing. Pay what you can afford and if they don't like it, they can scale back the wedding.

Word for word what he said.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am paying for my own right now...

My parents helped us out because they wanted some guests invited that we hadn't planned on.

My fiance's parents bought her dress.

My wedding is costing a significant amount more than my sister's did or my brother's did, and my parents feel bad, but they can't afford it, and I know that. My fiance and I are squirreling away money for the wedding, and have budgeted a chunk of each paycheck for our wedding in March of 2013.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Traditionally the groom's parents pay for the rehersal expenses including dinner. For the wedding proper the groom pays for the minister, flowers for bride and bridesmaids and token gifts for ushers and groomsmen. This is for a full bore traditional wedding.

If her parents/guardians are too cheap to marry off their daughter in style you have no duty to foot the bill.

The groom don't care anyway he just wants to get it over with and on to the more inportant stuff. wink

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What ever both parties can afford. If the bride's parents can't or won't chip in, I'd suggest settling for a small affair, 8-10 close family and call it good.

My first wedding was us two and two witnesses in front of a JP. 2nd one,my wife paid for most of it as her parents copped out after the fact.
I was poorer than a church mouse and would have settled for another JP and 4 in attendances

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a rather extravagant wedding and rehearsal dinner. My Dad and my lovely Bride's Dad were both very traditional; my Bride's family paid for the wedding, my folks paid for the rehearsal dinner.

Now, while I enjoyed the dinner, and was somewhat in awe of the wedding once it all came together, I would much rather have had a smaller, faster process. I went through months of hell answering questions about the wedding that I really had no opinion on.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Giver them what feels right to you. May want to tell them it ain't the size of the wedding. Mine cost 6k 25 years ago. I paid for everything but 1k my mom and dad kicked in. My cheap liberal dem inlaws talked a big talk but gave nothing like usual. We had nothing for a honeymoon and was so hot we went to upper Michigan. Payed for that too.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weddings throughout history have been budget breakers. In Bible times, the bride's parents would have to feed all the guests for several days. Jesus' 1st miracle of turning water into wine was at one of those bashes where the wine had run out.

That said, you need to do some paper work. Figure out exactly how much you can cough up and hand it to them. The rest is their's to deal with. If they can't trim it to the money on hand, they need some lessons in budgeting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F

And another vote.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By social custom and tradition, you should not feel as though any burden has been placed on you. However, because you love and want to support your son and are getting a new daughter (and in-laws, for better or worse), your feeling the need to do something is good - and normal. So, I suggest that you and your wife talk the situation over with your son, discuss their plans and "wants" and their financial preparation, then make a decision about how much you want to add, do it, and get quiet.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/09/12.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By the end of the ceremony, nobody cares a diddley damn whether the dress cost $500 or $5000. My wife and her sisters made all the flower arrangements for our wedding from cut flowers from Costco and saved hundreds. With the software available today, anyone with a gift for a keyboard can crank out top flight invitations. There are innumerable ways to cut the budget with a little thinking.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all for the replys. They make my decision a bit easier.

Part of the problem is, our son owes me over 15k. Any suggestions?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Itasca
Thanks all for the replys. They make my decision a bit easier.

Part of the problem is, our son owes me over 15k. Any suggestions?

Tell him that $15K is his wedding present and payment for the wedding also.If he is in debt $15 ,he sure does not need a big bash for a wedding.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/09/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Itasca
Our son is getting married this fall. I know about a fall wedding, busy hunting at that time (LOL).

Any way I paid the vast majority of the wedding when our daughter got married 10 years ago. It turns out that our son's bride parents will only chip in a small amount. I feel the burden is put on me. My wife & son are keeping silent on the issue.
Any thoughts??

A tank of gas and a map to Mesquite is cheaper. I actually paid the bulk of my first and all of my last.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE

And another vote.

And ANOTHER . . .

Back in the Stone Age when we got married, we decided to pay for our own wedding. That was fine by the in-laws-to-be and they said "good luck" and have a good life. My Mom wanted to help out and pay/provide for something, so we "let" her and Dad host a picnic after the rehearsal. Oue wedding, flowers, wedding dress, tux for me, pictures, reception, invitations and anything else cost us about $600 (1976 dollars). We are still married and looking forward to many more years.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Me and the wife eloped to Cancun......the wedding cost once there was like $135 for a cake, drinks for the guests and 2 "rice god" girls. The maid of honor and the best man were met on the ride from the airport to the hotel......still going after hitting the 25 year mark......so we did something right!!!

The families put on a reception after we got back.....just a big family dinner for 2 families..... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

same here

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and I also did a destination wedding. Its so much cheaper because no one can afford to go!

Round-trip airfare and 5 nights in a condo resort in Maui: $1600 for two.

Hot wedding planner, dude with ukelele, officiant with conch shell, beach location rental fee and marriage license fees: $900

Professional photographer who digitally mastered the photos and provided 600 pics on DVD to do as we please: $900

Not too bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.