Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thinking of scrapping my .338-06 project and just buying one of these two rifles in the same chamber. I've never been up close and personal with a Cooper, so I have no clue as to what most people think of the hunting rifles them? I see a lot posted on Kimbers but unfortunately they don't make a .338-06 or I might go for a Montana.

I've got about $1K invested in the build already, and can recoup most of that because I haven't invested in any GS work yet. I'm leaning more towards the Jackson Hunter, but both weigh about what I was hoping for my build to weigh. If I decide to finish my build or go with a Cooper it will be a ways down the road before it happens.

What I have for my build so far is a M70 FWT in .30-06, a McMillan Hunters Edge stock, and PT&G M70 bottom metal. So what would be the pros vs. cons for changing up my plan in mid stream? I know I'm looking at another $1K to finish my build vs. $1700 for the Cooper.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A no-brainer!
Get the Cooper 'Excalibur'. I have one in 338/06 that has put down a bull and a cow, 1 shot each.
With the Cooper, accuracy will not be a question. Mine shoots easily into 1/2" at 100 yards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have lots of experience with coopers. You can't go wrong. Great workmanship and outstanding shooters.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that the reason there aren't many Cooper post on the Campfire is that there isn't anything much to complain about. They just shoot!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another nod for the Cooper - great workmanship and accuracy, just put a scope on them and go hunting. I have never had a disapointment with one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you would like the Cooper and you would be hard pressed to find something better right out of the box.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2 model 52's in 30/06 and 270. Both shoot very well. I had to send the 30/06 back twice for service and both times the work was quick and well done. That said I have a good friend that has had a mod 52 in 280AI at Cooper for repair for over 4 months and still not repaired. They have given him the run a round so much, that he called the president of Wilson Arms(who owns Cooper) for help. So I don't think at this time I would buy another Cooper. They just don't seem to be trying very hard to take care of their customers. Daryl.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've owned a dozen Coopers, mostly model 21, 22 and 38. Do have a 52 Jackson game in 25-06. I've had four 17's, two 20's, three 22's, one 6.5, one 7mm, and one 30 cal.

I bought all of them used around 60% of retail or less. Hard to do that with the newer models (52,54 &56).

I've probably owned 200 centerfire rifles over the last 20 years or so as I'm a gun whore. For my money the ones that I've owned are the best thing out there when you consider the trigger, quality of wood, fit, finish and accuracy. I;m including Winchester, Browning, Savage, Kimber, Weatherby Remington and Ruger and yes even my beloved Sakos.
Perhaps with the new models and new times things are changing. What other production gun can you buy in a 17 squirrel, a 20 vartarg, a 250 Savage Ackley Improved, a 338-06 or a 300 H&H, all current production. With the advent of the synthetics and cerra-koting the possibilities are almost endless.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, lefty's to boot.

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/13/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well I'd like to find a used as I rarely buy new, but haven't seen a used .338-06. I'm not in a hurry to buy as I've got a big vet bill coming in that I have to pay for first.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am having a little trouble with my Jackson Hunter(ejection issues), and it is currently at Cooper. Has been there a couple weeks, and my correspondance with Coopers repair person has so far been unsatisfactory, but before I say anymore I am going 2 wait and see the outcome. I bought this rifle, and several other Coopers because of the rumor of the excellent customer service. Hope they are not getting 2 big 2 take care of the little man, like so many other companies. So far, the excellent customer service rumor is just that a "rumor", I will confirm it with the outcome of my ejection issue.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
I am having a little trouble with my Jackson Hunter(ejection issues), and it is currently at Cooper. Has been there a couple weeks, and my correspondance with Coopers repair person has so far been unsatisfactory, but before I say anymore I am going 2 wait and see the outcome. I bought this rifle, and several other Coopers because of the rumor of the excellent customer service. Hope they are not getting 2 big 2 take care of the little man, like so many other companies. So far, the excellent customer service rumor is just that a "rumor", I will confirm it with the outcome of my ejection issue.

HeavyBarrel

Bummer,

I've never had an issue with the ones I've owned. I particularly like the older Cooper rifles. I do believe they had better wood.
If customer service starts to suck and QC becomes spotty, it won't take long for word to get around.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Isn't Cooper in the process of moving or doing some construction on their current facility? I thought I read somewhere there may be delays in production because of this? This could attribute to the delays in repairs -- but doesn't explain any communication issues.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't want to sound like I am making excuses for Cooper and the communication issues but I am near the Cooper facility and know most of the folks quite well, here is the story as I see it.

There are two folks who do repairs but one of them also is in charge of the custom shop items. These same folks have to handle the phone calls and e-mails from the customers who have items in for repair which eats up more of their time than you can believe. Whenever a phone call or e-mail needs to be answered they have to stop whatever they are doing in order to answer it, sometimes they are at a point when they cannot stop to talk or e-mail and a phone call or e-mail may be forgotten to be returned. When something comes in they put it in the line for repair in the order in which it arrived - which means if there happens to be some repairs in front of yours then yours will take a little longer. That is not the way we want it but it is fair.

The person that was doing the majority of repairs left Cooper a few months back and it was a while before they found a qualified person to replace him, I am sure that slowed down repairs some and created a bit of a backlog.

Cooper is in the process of purchasing a new facility, it will require some remodeling and of course moving of all of the equipment, machinery, etc. I do not see how this will not create some backlog time, however the move is not scheduled to occur until later this summer.

Of course quite a few of the problems relate to the accuracy guarantee that Cooper gives, a lot of folks seem to think that just because the rifle is capable of 1/2 inch groups that they are also. I have seen targets come in with shots scattered all over them and yet the same rifle will fire one-hole groups in the hands of Cooper's shooters. It seems to me that a lot of their time is spent on this issue when the problem is more than likely the owners lack of ability to shoot well.

The good news is that when an item comes in for repair it has a great deal of attention paid to it and a great effort is made to correct the problem in every instance that I have observed.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the update drover. I'm a Cooper fan and have never experienced an issue. In fact, I just ordered another!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a few and had an issue with 1 last year. It was taken care of promptly and correctly. Also have 1 on order. Great product and great people.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
A no-brainer!
Get the Cooper 'Excalibur'. I have one in 338/06 that has put down a bull and a cow, 1 shot each.
With the Cooper, accuracy will not be a question. Mine shoots easily into 1/2" at 100 yards.
+1
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Factory Target
[Linked Image]

My 100yd Target

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two Coopers and I love them both, and since I am a "good" shooter I know they shoot just as good as the practice target wink

But I will not make excuses for any lack of customer service.

If shop/repair people are stopping to answer the phone hire a fulltime receptionist even if they sit at the desk and look at facebook in between calls.

Dave

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have 2 Coopers, a Classic in 30-06 and I just bought an Excaliber 54 in 7mm-08. I couldnt be happier! They both shoot really well, if I do my part they both shoot 1/2inch groups. The best 3 shot group for the 7mm-08 is 0.337". Hope this helps

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RDW
" If shop/repair people are stopping to answer the phone hire a fulltime receptionist even if they sit at the desk and look at facebook in between calls.

I should have been more clear on that - Cooper does have a receptionist, however when someone calls about an issue with a rifle it is then transferred to the repair people since they are the one that know the status of the repair. I suppose that rather than transferring the call to the repair folks the receptionist could give a status, such as "your rifle is in work", or your "rifle is awaiting repair", but I don't think that would satisfy many owners, there is no easy answer to the issue. Some folks will call every couple of days to check on the status of their repair without thinking about the fact that when the repair person is on the phone with them then there is no work being done and the repair cylcle is getting further behind.

As I said previously I am not making an excuse for the lack of communication but I am trying to explain what I have seen in my time spent at Cooper.

drover

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.