Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yellow with black mineral streaks is/was not that uncommon for California English Walnut. Dakota harvested some of their own trees at one point, the one I recall was Bastone.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would contact a good stock duplicator and have a stock turned on pattern wood. The wood should be no more than $50, and the turning would be about $250. Use a pattern that you feel will be a good match to what you eventually want in terms of drop, grip, etc. Then you can work with the stock and see if it is indeed what you want. If you are handy at all, you should be able to inlet the stock. You could even change the shape of the stock more to your liking. But then you would have some real hands on experience with the pattern while you are shopping/saving for your dream wood. That would also reduce the chance of getting your once-in-a-lifetime stock made, only to realize you wished it was a little different.

And as was noted in a previous post, pay more attention to layout and density than figure.

There certainly is plenty of interesting wood in the $500-800 range, like the ones below...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Great information and I greatly appreciate the wisdom and knowledge passed on. I do have a stock design I would want this rifle to be matched to and it's in the picture. This stock is from a BSA Hunter .22 Hornet from the 1960's. The pattern is perfect for what I am looking for, lightweight, fits me to a 'T' and I really like the design.

[Linked Image]

Ignore the poor cell phone pic and the crappy Simmons scope it currently wears. Upgrade on the scope is overdue. Rifle is very nice, has a silky smooth action and a true Mauser claw, even for a .22 Hornet. My dad bought it many years ago and when he passed on, I inherited it. Lots rabbits and hares have been killed with this rifle over the years and I adore it for it's ergonomics and pretty perfect balance.

This is my idea of the perfect stock as it fits me. Obviously the pattern would likely have to enlarged a little to accommodate the larger 98 action but hopefully not by much.

I guess another question is how would my pattern stock be transferred to a black? On a duplicating machine with some additional packing/padding to increase the width/length?

Thanks again for the advice.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSSP
[Linked Image]

That one!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
299 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.