Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like my Mountain Rifle, still shoots good though.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by carbon12
[Linked Image]

Never got this Remlin XS7 .308 barrel to shoot anything worth a damn with a wide variety of bullets, powders, seating depth, free float vs. speed bump, bedding, pillars, blah, blah, blah.

Then I discovered this is what the bore looked like. Several trips to Remlin to make it right and to their credit, eventually, they just threw their hands up and offered to buy back the rifle.

Looks like its from a reamer.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If it shoots good ignore the marks.You could always lead lap or fire lap the bore to help the appearance and maybe function

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sent a .270Ti back to Remmy for a chamber that basically left a fired case looking like it had two shoulders, wierdest thing I have ever seen, they sent me back a different rifle, real pronto, I have had no problems with it since.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Everybody needs to figure out how to put those chatter marks in their barrels since nothing shoots as good as a Remington.

Now that right there is a good example of chatter marks on the internet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
saw several savage barrels like that but last coupled i bought have been very smooth

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Everybody needs to figure out how to put those chatter marks in their barrels since nothing shoots as good as a Remington.

Now that right there is a good example of chatter hash marks on the internet.

Small edit. grin

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had a Remington 700 varmint special in 6 mm that had chatter marks and this rifle was my first one that would shoot 3 shot .250 groups after a lot of fiddling around with loads. The catch was you had to clean it every 15 or 20 rounds with sweets 7.62 solvent or it would copper foul quite badly. Won a lot of turkey shoots with that rifle and shot a truck load of coyotes. That barrel is long shot out and gone now and I have to admit I do not miss the excessive cleaning it took.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They might shoot, but try owning a 17 Rem. with a bore like that. 5 shots and you're done.

`Bring Enough Gun`
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The marks in the Remington barrels are not really "chatter" per se but are an artifact of the hammerforging process. The indication is that the machine is set up incorrectly. Stainless does not hammerforge particularily well and Remington stainless barrels have often shown the same flaw. These ripples in the bore may or may not preclude decent hunting accuracy. Up until the move to SC, I had never seen this flaw in a Winchester hammered barrel but have seen such recently in a couple of barrels.
The other barrel looks more like a very poorly reamed and buttoned barrel.
I have seen some Remington "rippled" barrels which were quite accurate but, as has been mentioned, fouling was often a problem. GD

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who says Remington barrels are hammer forged? I thought they were button rifled, like the 1903-A3. Didn't Remington invent button rifling as a manufacturing expedient for the 1903-A3? I never saw anything authoritative in print to back-up the notion that Remington uses hammer forging. Someone please clue me in on such authoritative documentation. Thanks.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Production rifles use hammer forged barrels. 40X Custom Shop barrels are button rifled. I believe it says so on their CS website too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Production rifles use hammer forged barrels. 40X Custom Shop barrels are button rifled. I believe it says so on their CS website too.

Found it! You are correct. Standard rifles use hammer forged barrels and 40X rifles are button rifled (and hand lapped and air gauged). Thanks for the tip.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
T
Hi,

Has anyone seen chatter marks like this in the new generation Winchesters?

[Linked Image]

I had a look in the other rifles I have on hand and could see some chatter marks in most of their bores too, but nothing as bad as the Winchester's. Ruger Hawkeye - very clear chatter marks. Green Mountain 10/22 barrel - visible chatter marks. Ruger Hawkeye #2 - no significant marks.

I know it will cause fouling, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm just trying to find out if this is the norm and what type of accuracy you were able to get with the rifle if you have the same problem. I'm planning to go and look at a few new ones to compare with as well.

Also, I found the article referred to in one of the posts. The link is: Notes on Hammer Forged Barrels - James Higley & Vern Briggs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
riaan87,

First of all, welcome to the 'fire.

The marks shown in your picture are evident on both lands and grooves. That tells me they were probably there before the rifling operation. Also, if you look closely, they are evenly spaced radial lines with a pitch, like a thread. That sounds to me like they were made during the drilling or reaming operations as the tool was fed into the bore.

I would have a really hard time taking home a rifle with a bore that looks like this. Everybody wants accurate rifles, including me, and choosing one with obvious defects in the bore just goes against my grain. It may shoot just fine, and I hope yours does, but I cannot bring myself to buy rifles with obvious defects.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A general note on this thread: I've found Dyna Bore Coat to be very effective in barrels with visible marks, whether from reaming or hammer-forging.

I'm not all that fond of such barrels myself, but do end up doing test write-ups of rifles with very visible reamer marks and consequent copper-fouling problems. Anymore I just install DBC, which allows me to get through the testing without having to clean the bore several times.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had several remington barrels with marks like that and most of them have shot well, some have fouled worse than others. I always assumed it was from reaming the bore before rifling. Many top barrel makers will lap a bore after reaming and then cut or button the rifling.

Bb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd like to know the real per unit cost of improving the manufacturing and/or QC process so that kind of barrel wouldn't make it out of the factory.

Several of my model Rem 700 rifles that I shoot a lot are quite accurate and copper foul very little. These include VTR, XCR CT, XCR LRT and 5R MilSpec models. This indicates the standard manufacturing process, when done right, can make a good barrel. So how about a tune up?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Those pics look like a Savage barrel!

That being said, most people shoot half a box of shells a year, so it is not like those marks are going to foul very quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I'd like to know the real per unit cost of improving the manufacturing and/or QC process so that kind of barrel wouldn't make it out of the factory.

I would bet the only cost involved is for the people manufacturing the rifles to give a chit, just a little.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.