Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Browning BAR several years old, but unshot until now.

The extraction of the empty casing seems to be holding on too long, and they spin back into the side of the receiver.
This is after approx 9 shots.
Best way to approach this?

*edit* - this is using factory Rem 165gr Core-Loks, which group fantastic out of the gun.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlackFrog; 05/29/12.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check and see if they are hitting the scope ring

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would clean and service the gas system. Pull the gas piston and give it and the gas block a good cleaning. Do not oil, leave it dry. While the piston is out, inspect the gas port in the barrel via the sling stud hole in the gas block to make sure it is open. Make sure the gas regulator hole is clear and is snug.

One of the big problems I see when encountering feeding problems with this gun is people running these dry. It's a semi automatic machine and needs to be oiled. It doesn't have to be wet, but it should have enough of a film of oil on key pieces to keep the thing moving as it heats up. The right and left slide bars, the recoil spring guide, the bolt track in the receiver... While you are at it, work the bolt nose ejector a few times to make sure it is operating freely. If it sticks, it can cause empties to do weird things. Good luck.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
if it a bar mkii, adjust the gas system, you should be getting ejection at 90 degrees from the ejection port accodring to the factory repair manual.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is the brass hitting your windage turret?

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bufaf
Is the brass hitting your windage turret?

This is not my gun, but a young man who asked me for some assistance.
I'll get more info this weekend, and I'll get to peek at it in person.

I wondered the same thing....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 05/30/12.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Cleaned the gas operating system, checked the port openings.
I turned the scope 90 degrees to eliminate any chance of it hitting the turret cap. Still does the same thing. I put a few layers of masking tape on the receiver to protect it from any more dings during troubleshooting, and also makes it easy to see fresh marks.

The young man called Browning about this- they told him to use different ammo.... I have the exact same gun model, serial numbers are only a few off from each other. My gun ejects factory Rem Core-Loks just fine. His spins them back into the receiver.

Seems like the bolt may be slamming back too fast for the empty case to be cleared before the bolt reaches then end of the travel.
I noticed what seems to be contact here:
[Linked Image]

Now I'm wondeing if I should tweak the gas port?

Last edited by BlackFrog; 06/20/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
make sure you don't have a problem with the extractor and try another brand or lot # of ammo

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
change out the springs most of the ones that come into my shop have sat unused for years or only fired a few times and the springs take a 'set' causes many wierd things to happen with cycling

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I didn't see any obvious problems with the extractor. I was looking for any dings or burrs that could upset the correct throwing of the empty casing.

change out the springs most of the ones that come into my shop have sat unused for years or only fired a few times and the springs take a 'set' causes many wierd things to happen with cycling

Interesting you mention that. This gun was three years old sitting in a rack before this young man bought it and shot it for the first time.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 06/20/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If everything else is clean and checks out, then I would check the ejector and it's spring which is usually neglected during a thorough cleaning. If there isn't sufficient spring tension, or, the ejector is a bit sluggish from years of accumulated oil and crap, then it can't dispose of the empty fast enough to clear the port.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.