Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.chronicleonline.com/content/suspect-dies-shooting

Suspect dies in shooting
Home invasion attempt sparks gun battle; victim wounded, second suspect at large
By Sandra Frederick
Friday, June 22, 2012 at 12:00 am (Updated: June 22, 12:01 am)

CRYSTAL RIVER � Shortly before midnight Wednesday, two masked men with guns kicked in the front door of a home on West Cedar Lake Drive, and as they pushed a woman to the floor, her son retaliated with gunfire.

Lt. Justin Ferrara with the Citrus County Sheriff�s Office heads up the Major Crimes Unit investigation Thursday morning. A call came into dispatch around midnight Wednesday that shots had been fired following a home invasion.

After a barrage of bullets, a car squealed its tires and took off from the home, and Shawn Michael Wright, 42, of Citrus Springs, identified by police as a suspect, remained on the front lawn. Wright died of the wounds he received during the exchange of gunfire.

�It woke me up,� said Don Huber, the next door neighbor, on Thursday afternoon as he watched the police wrap up the crime scene investigation. �I looked outside and I could see the tail lights of a car and it went speeding out. All I heard was burning rubber. They were moving.�

Thursday afternoon, police found Wright�s black Ford pickup truck several miles away; however, police do not know if it was involved in the incident.
Detectives are still looking for any tips that may lead them to the identity of the second suspect, who is also believed to be wounded. He remains at large and officials said he is armed and dangerous. He was last seen wearing denim pants and a dark-colored shirt.

According to Gail Tierney, spokeswoman for the Citrus County Sheriff�s Office, when the son heard his mother�s screams, he came out from a back room armed with a gun.

Shots were fired, and the volley of gunfire continued out into the front yard.

The 25-year-old man, who police said was also injured during the shooting, was transported by his 62-year-old mother to a local hospital. He was treated and released later in the day.

The Chronicle is not printing the names of the victims for safety reasons.
Witnesses said the second suspect sped from the scene in an unknown vehicle and in an unknown direction. An alert was issued locally and to neighboring counties.

The investigation remains open and active.

An unidentified neighbor walking past the house on Thursday was shocked by the violent crime and said the neighborhood was a safe and quiet place to live.

�In this case, he was protecting more than his property; he was protecting his mother,� he said.

If anyone has information about this crime or the identity of the second suspect, call 911 or contact Crime Stoppers of Citrus County Inc. Text CITRUS plus your tip to 274637 (CRIMES), click on www.crimestoppers citrus.com, or call 1-888-ANY-TIPS toll-free.

Tipsters may remain completely anonymous and be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $1,000.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not a massage parlor thread? Darn.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Me too! One less piece of [bleep] in the world! smirk

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope the final chapter doesn't include charges against the son. Just knowing it's even a possibility irks me to no end.

Lets also hope the second bandit doesn't sue for pain and suffering or file some other bullchit civil suit.

I'll end on a positive - the use of overwhelming firepower proves once again to be the way to go. The son drove the punks off in fine fashion - burglary assault response if you will.

edit: hoooahhhhh!

Last edited by Mako25; 06/22/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
had a "situation" in Downtown C bus yesterday..4 PM
a woman was being robbed on the street and she yelled for HELP
a SS agent was leaving work and stopped to shoot at the perps.
They fled but CPD caught up to the wounded pair in a northern motel later.

Daylight robbery failed by gunfire!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mako, it is pretty much SOP to present all homicides to a Grand Jury. In good shoots, a "No True Bill" is the best as it locks out "double jeopardy" and gives a good degree of protection from civil actions..

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We could get a damn nice start to balancing the budget were all death rows emptied and every home invasion or crime on the street resulted in dead perps.

No trials, no three hots and a cot with med/dental plan for 40 F'n years to boot.

Also outlaw all junk mail, and use those trees to build caskets.

Want not, waste not. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mako, it is pretty much SOP to present all homicides to a Grand Jury. In good shoots, a "No True Bill" is the best as it locks out "double jeopardy" and gives a good degree of protection from civil actions..

The pumpin' lead at a would-be criminal I "get".

All the other stuff is above my pay grade (and in all liklihood ability to comprehend), but I am just sharp enough to hire, and seek advice from those who would be the, Legal-arm, burglary assault team.

Guys like you f'r instance. >grin<

??? 'Ta hell is a No True Bill ???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the GJ determines that the killing was fully justified under law. No charges may be brought criminally for good.

Example: Here in NYS there is Article 35 of the NYS Penal Law that outlines justifed uses of all levels of force. Most states will have similar. Be familiar with your states' requirements. It helps one greatly as they are an affirmative defense.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 06/22/12.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the GJ determines that the killing was fully justified under law. No charges may be brought criminally for good.

I learned somethin' (take a bow, not many penetrate the concrete 'tween my ears).

Hope the son in this case knows, or is made aware of a No True Bill. Is that something he'd have to request, or just a decision of the Grand Jury?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decision of GJ. Either indict or no true bill.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Cause it's well worth repeating.

Example: Here in NYS there is Article 35 of the NYS Penal Law that outlines justifed uses of all levels of force. Most states will have similar. Be familiar with your states' requirements. It helps one greatly as they are an affirmative defense.

Many thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome. As an aside, it is interesting that in some situations Cops are held to a higher standard. Pull up Article 35 NYS P.L. and look for the keyword DR BARKS.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now ya went and done it. I'll be reading all weekend, and it's supposed to really nice out too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have my nose in that soon enough - but have to fly right now.

Lookin' forward to the read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It won't take long. It is fairly to the point. NYS is surprisingly decent in this sphere.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Florida has the "Castle Doctrine" as well as stand your ground, also if it is self defense and so determined the defenders are also not liable to civil action by the perp or family. Damn fine lawmaking on this one.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Funny thing to me, and by that I mean odd, is that anyone with more than a half dozen functional brain cells would consider a career in home invasion in the general area of Citrus County. Last I checked, per capita gun ownership in this region is higher than Fort Benning by a factor of 5 or 6. Honest to Gawd, even the bunny huggers are armed around here.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Funny thing to me, and by that I mean odd, is that anyone with more than a half dozen functional brain cells would consider a career in home invasion in the general area of Citrus County. Last I checked, per capita gun ownership in this region is higher than Fort Benning by a factor of 5 or 6. Honest to Gawd, even the bunny huggers are armed around here.

watch worlds dummest criminals and you will see why the home invasions are still going. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.