Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#6555927 05/31/12
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anybody seen the preview or first episode? The guy in Montana uses a Ruger No. 1, though I don't yet know the caliber.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just got done suffering the first show. Thought it was in the same category as the guys looking for Bigfoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched the first episode last night.
Where do they find these dingbats?
Anyway don't think I'll be upset if I miss the rest of the series..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Probably won't watch again. Not that interesting.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Were they playing banjos?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being close friends with Marty Meierotto - and then seeing all the fake melodrama inserted into each episode by the producers - it is a wonder how anyone can watch those things. The truth is a whole lot more interesting.

And Marty does know the caliber of "BoneCrusher" his 358 Norma mag.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Being close friends with Marty Meierotto - and then seeing all the fake melodrama inserted into each episode by the producers - it is a wonder how anyone can watch those things. The truth is a whole lot more interesting.

Wondering about one of his rifles. Yet to get a good look at it. It appears to be a Ruger 10/22 with a laminate camo stock. Just have seen bits and pieces. What has me puzzled is in one quick shot with the gun on his back the bore looked way larger than 22. Wondering what I am seeing. Thinking maybe a custom stocked Ruger 44 carbine??? If it is wondering where he got the stock.

As for the show it sucks. Wish they would try actual documentary type shows. They might find they would have large audience even without all the dramatic bullchit.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm into the mountain man era. Those 3 guys aren't mountain men. They're just 3 clowns living in the mountains.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Originally Posted by 458Win

Wondering about one of his rifles. Yet to get a good look at it. It appears to be a Ruger 10/22 with a laminate camo stock. Just have seen bits and pieces. What has me puzzled is in one quick shot with the gun on his back the bore looked way larger than 22. Wondering what I am seeing. Thinking maybe a custom stocked Ruger 44 carbine??? If it is wondering where he got the stock.

As for the show it sucks. Wish they would try actual documentary type shows. They might find they would have large audience even without all the dramatic bullchit.

I was wondering the same thing about his rifle, at first blush I too thought it was a 10/22, but then later on I thought maybe a 44 also. It's be neat to know.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked the show. My son and his family know the fellow from NC. They have been to Turtle Island several times. People pay him to work on that farm and do all his crap chores. He's pretty smart.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Quote: "Where do they find these dingbats?" .458 kind of answered it. TV producers take some real folks and then fine tune the scripts to conform to the LA or NYC conception of what the city folks think the "hicks" should be. I suspect all the central figures are pretty good folks, but the pay is likely pretty good to act like whatever the producer wants. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just about came unglued as I watched it last night (6/14). Eustace wounded a deer and then bitched about his rifle (a Ruger #1) "misfiring." Where I come from, a "misfire" is when the gun fails to go "bang". A miss or a bad hit ain't no freakin' "misfire." Of course he blamed the "misfire" on the kid that supposedly zeroed his rifle. They showed the kid shooting a Winchester 94 Black Shadow .30/30, a Remington Jam-O-Matic, and a Marlin rimfire but never a #1. Of course that could just be the editing but they never showed the kid with the Ruger. At any rate, don't bitch about your rifle "misfiring" when you put a bullet in the deer's guts! I was somewhat surprised to even see him shooting a #1. That makes two on the show so far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you trust someone else to sight your rifle?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Saw one of the shows tonight. Eustace and his hippies cut firewood.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
By the sound of it we don't have to worry about the grizzlies going extinct up around Libby, MT. Sounds like they are all over the country up their according to the show.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Watching that gorp was 1 hour wasted from my life. I'll not waste another.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watching that gorp was 1 hour wasted from my life.

I keep thinking that there will be something to make the show worth watching, but alas, no joy. Eustace driving nails into the tree to build his deer stand is a no-no where I come from and then there is those people working for room and board just to learn how to be like him. He must grow some good weed up on that mountain. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ditto whats been said. The show sucked, and one of those idiots will end up winning the Darwin award very soon.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'm into the mountain man era. Those 3 guys aren't mountain men. They're just 3 clowns living in the mountains.

You would be dead by morning if you tried what Marty does out there. He can't help what they do with the film and narration. The other 2 are hardly in the wilderness and wilderness in Alaska is a completely different animal than in the lower 48.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did a trail ride over in the mountains last weekend, our guide for the couple hour ride was a younger gal and her and i got to discussing the show, our thought is the guy in Montana needs to move somewhere where there are no griz.....she lives around them in the southeast part of the state near Yellowstone and helps wrangle horses in the fall heading out on pack trips after elk and she is far less worried about griz than he is......she sees them regularly, she has the utmost respect for them and what they can do but she doesnt worry about them every moment they leave the house like the Montana guy seems to going by what he is saying.....assuming its not scripted which it prolly is....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.