Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Enrique
....that 7mashedpotato ...

I like that....I'm gonna get some mileage out of that... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kique--you got that right, both the 7 Mashburn Super and the 6/06 are incredibly fine Coues deer rounds.

I have a 105 cola blanco venado sitting above me here that I took out @ 438 yrds in a high wind with a neck shot near Arizpe with my 6/06. The 6 aught also worked wonders on those Sonoran Perro's as well... wink

Perro

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love Arizpe. What ranch?
Banamichi was my stomping grounds when I was down there.
Bet that 105 berger in the 6-06 would save powder and kill good too. You think its a 600/700 yard rig to get a DRT done?

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd use the 300 WM with som fat, heavy AMax and shoot a bunch before you go. Get in the field and practice in real world type shooting. The bench and the field are completely different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lacienega Kique, and yeah I have no doubt about those ranges with the 6/06.

Farthest I shot a deer with it was 633 and it was lights out! Course it was a head shot with a 95 NBT right up the snout and out the back of the head so things happened fairly quickly...grin

Perro

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/23/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Enrique
....that 7mashedpotato ...

I like that....I'm gonna get some mileage out of that... grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I was to shoot coues deer over 500 yards, out to 600 (been there done that, multiple times) then I would shoot my .257 wby.

But, when you get past 600 yards, I would actually change to at a minimum 270 wsm, but I would lean more towards a 7 rem mag, or even better yet a 7 RUM with 160 Accubonds. I have been threatening for the past year or so to send my dads Leupold from his 7RUM to get the turret treatment, load up some 160 Accubonds and get to the 800 yard range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sietesuper cool

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Lots of folks use the 300WM for coues because of distance, since you have one, go with that. High BC bullets and practice.

I've killed more coues with a 270 but farthest was 420 yds.

Course, you'll probably kill one at 50 yds... lol

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear that KRP, last year I worked a lot at long ranges with my 300 WSM with 155 Scenars and then shot my elk @ 17 yds and my venado @ 38 yds.......arg

Dober

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I hear that KRP, last year I worked a lot at long ranges with my 300 WSM with 155 Scenars and then shot my elk @ 17 yds and my venado @ 38 yds.......arg

Dober

In my experience, that's how life is.....you expect/anticipate one scenario and usually get something completely different.

smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GregW
I think it's kind of funny the east coast and out of country dudes who have probably never seen a coues deer let alone what some coues country looks like try to tell folks how it should be done -

Carry on with the advice gentlemen -

I'd get a fast moving 6.5 or 7, shooting a BC nearing or above 0.500, as fast as you accurately can if you need to get to 700 or 800 -

Guilty! grin But I have hunted the west more than some westerners,and seen the little dudes on Arizona elk hunts,along with some AZ coues country..... and it struck me that they are small animals,prone to disappear,tough to see in that scabby looking country,and not always easy to approach.I doubt they take much killing,like antelope.

I like Greg's advise and also Jordan's but not sure I'd run out and spend a pile on a new rifle if I had a 270 and a 300 Win Mag. Today you can find bullets for either coming within a knats hair of just about anything else.

I'd put the cash in a very top end optic,like a Nightforce or S&B rather than a new rifle,get to practicing with what you got and the best bullets for the chore,and be ready.It is really scopes and bullets which have made LR shooting practical today...not cartridges.

That said I would buy a 264 or 7Rem Mag if you want a new rifle for the hunt and don't mind spending the loot. 162 Amax's at 3200+ fps from the Mashburn makes things pretty easy to 600 yards,far as I can shoot,and that's what I would take,although I'd want more scope than the lightweight 6X it wears now.

Good luck!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Best to think of a coues hunt like a poor man's sheep hunt... rough vertical country, tough animals... and sometimes like sheep need long shots and 'breaking down'... Quality boots, pack and optics.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John-this is just me but my tuning fork tells me that the outfitter may be just a bit full of it or himself. I've been around Coues a fair bit and to date I've not seen a place/time where one had to go to that long of ranges to get things done.

It sure is helpful to have people come ready to rock, but I'd personally be concerned with them being able to plant them to 500 and not much more. IME, expecting hunters to come ready to go to 600-750 and do it right is expecting a bit much.

I gotta ask, who's the outfitter?

Many thx, and sorry if I sound a bit too skeptical this morn.

Coues are a fantastic critter, far and away in my top 3 right up there with bruins and yotes.

Dober

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Sounds like the outfitter is preparing an excuse in advance..."if YOU (emphasis added) can pull off shots from 500 to 700 yds"

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That ain't the way that I hunt Coues deer, but to each his own.

I did have a guest hunter one year that had bad legs thanks to a bout with polio when he was a kid. I glassed up a nice Coues buck at a little over 600 yds. While I was glued to the binocular, planning a route to get him as close as I could, his .257 Weatherby went "bang!" and the deer dropped like a rock. We were both draped over the hood of the truck and my ears rang for days.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting closer to Coues ain't always an option... or not a very good one at that. Can't fathom anyone who's never hunted them during an Oct AZ rifle hunt, or maybe even never been in the country he's likely to be hunting, musing about the ethics of shooting them at long range.

THAT said, back to the original question...
264 WM with 140 VLDs or AMAX is a tough combo to beat, delivering high BC bullets at high velocity with minimal recoil. I've had one or more since '02, and have since sold every 7mm mag and 300 in the safe. A buddy followed suit and last year got one, practiced all summer, and shot his buck at 672. To gain a notable increase in performance, you realistically have to belly up to the big 338s. That's a big jump.

Last couple of years, I've hunted Coues with a 22" 260, 140 AMAX. It's a good bit shorter and handier than the 264, and gets me to the 600 yard line with ease. And I've found that in most of the areas I hunt, I can get within 600.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
...shots over 500 yards and in one area, between 600-750 yards...
I have both a 270 Win. and a 300 Win Mag.; that said, both have 24" barrels and I was thinking of something different for next year.

Any other cartridges that might work even better at longer range? Maybe ballistically, a 6.5 or 7mm with lots of power?

Thoughts?

Consider that military sniper rifles need to accurately take out targets at far greater distances than your deer hunt. And their choice is often the .300 Winchester Magnum...or larger! Maximum effective range INCREASES w/ bullet diameter. So why would you want a smaller bullet or feel inadequately armed using a world class, long range sniper cartridge?

You're better off scratching the spending itch by buying a sniper grade scope or working up a long range load and practicing w/ the long range rifle you already own.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I pride myself as a guide on getting it done with my client's ability. I'm not one of those guide's that says we have to get it done from here, hey if we have to get closer then let's try to get closer. Doesn't always work, especially on coues deer! It's their hunt!!!! First things that jumped into my head when reading this are a 115"+ coues buck at 600 and a 84" antelope buck at 300. Neither was comfortable with the shot so we attempted to get closer. Neither was brought to bag. I don't think either hunter was upset that he didn't try a shot but I KNOW both were upset that they weren't PREPARED for the shot. Oddly enough both were shooting a 7mm ultra mag and both were wanting shots around 200 yds and the whole time I kept thinking why the hell are we wasting all that power and burning that much powder for 200 yd shots?!?!?!

To the OP, like many have said already, If you want a new gun and have time to work up loads and get lots of long range time, then yes a 6.5 or fast seven would be great. If not the same process with your current rifles will yield the same results.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello Mark,

No worries, it's an outfitter that I found via Google search before realizing I'm just better off asking names of some good outfitter here wink

I don't want to single him out. In the discussion, it basically came down to, well, if you really want to increase your chances at B&C- class bucks, then with those ranges in mind, we'd have all of our bases covered. Again, he told me most clients luck-out under 300 yards, but of the few really huge bucks they've seen, most were spotted at 500 and up to 750 yards away and the hunters were unable to shoot at that range, get to them in time or spooked them.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I'll do the best I can this year with my 270 and 300. Maybe next year it will be with a 264 win mag and longer barrel smile

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,878
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.