Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This doesn't seem to be a very popular option, is there a reason for that? I've been waiting on an 18" SPR contoured 5.45 barrel for about 2 1/2 months from a vender. I called last week and the extended time has been moved back another 6-8 weeks which may be moved again. They said they have a bunch of 16" barrels in stock though so I think I'm going to get a 16" barrel and go shooting.

One of the barrels they offer is a 16" "heavy tactical" contour. They say it's 4 ozs heavier than a 16" M4 profile and has a mid-length gas system. This sounds like something I would be interested in but a mid-length gas system carbine is a new concept for me. Are the there any disadvantages to going this route other than needing a few new parts? They also have the standard M4 contour with the carbine gas system but I think I'd be happier with the a little heavier barrel profile.

Thanks,
Terry

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No real disadvantage to going to a midlength gas system from a quality manufacturer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two mid length and 1 carbine gas on the 5.56, performance its tough to tell them apart. You have to match the buffer to the gas system, make sure the port size is correct but I guess either should work fine. If anything I would say the midlength guns have a more constant ejection pattern, its easier to find the cases. The carbine a colt flings the suckers out there.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dwell time is less on a mid length which is a good thing, gas is tapped at a lower pressure as well. It's slightly softer shooting and is what a 16" barrel should be to keep the same dwell time as 14.5" carbine gas and a 20" rifle gas.

Longer sight radius, more real estate when using a fixed front sight are also advantages.

As long as it's ported right I see no disadvantages, at least in a 5.56

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Someone will throw a turd in the punchbowl I'm sure and say it's so you can put a bayonet on a carbine... confused

I won't say that it's not very popular. There are a number of professonal users that like the midlength system a lot. It's just not as common. One reason is the proliferation of the M4 carbine length. The carbine gas system has been around for decades, and most people identify with that appearance. Manufacturers look at what sells, and face it, many people want what they carried as an LEO or Soldier, others just want the M4 appearance, and don't really put a lot of thought into anything else for a carbine. You're going to experience an extended wait time for a 5.45 18" SPR midlength. If you think about it, the particular caliber, plus in a SPR configuration, is in itself not a popular choice. It's not because of the midlength system. As a manufacturer, I'm going to continue to produce what sells the most, and what is almost a custom job will have to wait until I can fit it into the operations without costing me production from what is selling.

With the midlength system, you'll gain 2 extra inches of fore end or rail space depending on what you use. It's a comfort issue for some by allowing them to position their support hand further towards the front of the weapon to aid in recoil management. Others appreciate the fact that it allows mroe room when they install the weapon lights, MFAL's, and positioning of vertical grips.

A reduction of felt recoil is only slightly noticeable. However, one of the other technical points that are pointed to as an advantage is also slightly less pressure, and wear and tear on the internal components involved is less. Again, it's only really going to be noticed by those that shoot these a lot. I've owned midlengths before, carbines before, and I can tell you that my current duty gun carried daily is a BCM/EAG Midlength.

Why are you looking specifically at a heavy tactical? What are the specs of what they are offering in terms of steel, barrel lining, twist, and what do you plan on using the carbine for? There may be better options depending on what you're planning on using it for.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I generally stick with this:

Barrel Length/gas system:

14.5 or less = carbine.
16 = mid length.
18 or greater = rifle.

For a 16" barrel I see no reason not to go with a mid length system unless you are trying to copy a M4 or something.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
TS, it's just a plinker and won't have any accessories other than a 2-7 scope. I have a S&W (M4 style) carbine in this caliber and after 6000 rounds the barrel has lost lt's accuracy and it's time for a new one. The 5.45X39 AR-15 is very uncommon but I have found it to be a fun, cheap to shoot, reasonably accurate, very reliable rifle. I originally picked the 18" SPR contour because I like the way it balances and I'm personally not a big fan of 16" tubes. Since it doesn't look like an 18" SPR is going to be available anytime soon I'm thinking the heavy tactical might be the next best option for me. These barrels are made of 4150 and they are melonited instead of chrome lined which is something I really want to try, and with the semi corrosive 5.45X39 ammo it should be interesting.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 06/10/12.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I went ahead and put in my order for the 16" mid length heavy tactical. I really wanted the 18" SPR but not enought to wait 5-6 months for it. the only other option I could find that was over 16" was a 20" chrome lined HBar from Model 1 Sales. I already own one HBar in 5.56 and like it but one is enough. I should have all the parts soon.

Terry

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The barrel came in and I got it installed. It's called a heavy tactical contour. It's just a little thicker in the mid section and has no grenade launcher cut. They said it was 4oz heavier than the M4 contour. You can feel the difference but it's hardly noticeable.

I got roped into installing hardwood floors at the house but hopefully I'll be able to get out and shoot it soon.

[Linked Image]

Terry

R
R
a couple more advantages: longer sight radius, can mount a bayonet

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.