Print Thread
Hop To
S
Schenk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looking at one of these rifles with the 26" heavy stainless in .243. The 2 stage trigger may be nice.
Does anyone have one of these rifles, and if so how are they.
I figure they are nice and accurate, in any caliber.
Again thanks for any input!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are great rifles. However, I can't stand the plywood stock, unless all ya wanna do is shoot off a bench. Swapped mine out with a sporter walnut handle. Now it carries and feels like the tang safety 77's that I was used to.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a .22-250. It put 4 shots into .5" at 200 yards one day when the wind wasn't blowing.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great rifles, but after you've seen one you've seen them all.....Mine shoots good too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one older one with the shiny barrel and blued receiver in 220 Swift, and a newer one in 243 and they are both shooters. You'll really like the 2-stage trigger once you get used to it.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I owned one in .25-06 that was a real shooter. Like a dummy I let myself get talked out of it, but I'd own another in a heartbeat if the numbers were right.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Schenk
Looking at one of these rifles with the 26" heavy stainless in .243. The 2 stage trigger may be nice.
Does anyone have one of these rifles, and if so how are they.
I figure they are nice and accurate, in any caliber.
Again thanks for any input!

You haven't told us for how much........will you be getting a good deal on it???? The 2 stage trigger is alright I guess but I like the regular old MKII trigger (that I can work on myself) better. The 2 stage has more parts in it than a mercedes benz.........IF you can get it adjusted right it isn't too bad though......They have been known to shoot great right out of the box and function flawlessly like every ruger I've had. Good functional, accurate, tough as nails rifles you can generally pick up for less than 6 bones on gunbroker and places like here. I lucked out and got mine for $500.00 (actualy traded my friend but that's what he paid for it used)......Here's mine and how it shoots:

Ruger MKII target/varmint .223 rem with Bushnell elite 3200 5-15x40 scope:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also bedded it and adjusted the trigger (as per usual).......:
[Linked Image]

I think they come bedded from the factory but it wasn't up to par so I re-did it...... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Got one in 308 , 6x24 4500 elite , dime size groups at 100 yds with south afriacan mil. ammo , match ammo will do one ragged hole at 200 yds on a good day for me in short it shoots better than I do most of the time , only modification was I hand lapped the barrel goodluck jrh55

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shot against a guy once that swore he was going to "cut the X-ring out of the target" with his (308 win)....Needless to say he didn't win the shoot....

BSA MAGA
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I shot against a guy once that swore he was going to "cut the X-ring out of the target" with his (308 win)....Needless to say he didn't win the shoot....

If you throw enough shots around the outside of the target, the X-ring will fall out with the rest, right?
wink

On a more serious note, I had a KM77VT in 220 Swift some years ago. I loved that rifle. Got stolen about 6 or maybe 8 years ago in Boise.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
have two.... one in 223 and one in 22.250...

both are boring in they will drive tacks all day long, regardless of both being high milers...

use to have a third, that one had 15,000 rounds down the barrel in 223... and was still a tack driver... but was looking to rebarrel due to the high round count...paid 300 bucks for it from a retired guy who had to give up shooting due to his health...he had a full log book of every outing he had it on...

I put 10,000 rounds of Blue Dot loads down its barrel.. and was still offered $400 for it in trade in.. knew that deal wasn't going to last long... so I trade it in and $125 for a new Savage 12 BVSS

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The evolution of my VT in 204....

fugly factory plywood beavertail POS
[Linked Image]

same POS painted... didn't help the ungainliness....
[Linked Image]

In a painted walnut sporter, big diff.....
[Linked Image]

stock comparison
[Linked Image]

stripped and restocked in new walnut. The target grey looks great in wallynut wood.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1438.jpg[/img]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see your point. Looks good huntsman.....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.... I don't shoot paper much, except to sight in. After putting it in the new wood, it had to be re-zero'd. Here's the first 3....

[Linked Image]

2 rds, after adjustment....

[Linked Image]

2 clicks up, 2 clicks over. Done deal......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's still on a shade past 200, too......

[Linked Image]

T
T
I've had two Ruger M77MkII VT's, one in 308 that shot well, but had to be parted with when I ran into tough times. Then a few years later I bought one in .223 after some thought. I had wanted a .22-250, but at the time I wasn't a reloader, so made the choice of a .223 for ammo cost. That rifle was insanely accurate, my best group out of it was .525"...for ten rounds. You can do much worse than one of these.

We cannot defend Democracy abroad by deserting it at home. - Thomas Jefferson

Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but pick themselves up and continue as if nothing had happened
- Sir Winston Churchill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.