-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can-am makes good stuff but im not sure rotax engines are the "best", most powerful yes....

i disagree on best locking axle, thats grizzly IMO

rear suspension....not sure there, guess it depends on how you measure

http://youtu.be/g-hS6nOHedE
http://youtu.be/ZbQH995uMdY

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/19/12.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep in mind that IRS will involve some maintenance issues which you won't have with SRA. The IRS, unlike the IFS, has a more dramatic angle which places more stress on the offset joint and related parts. We've got less than a year on ours, but the boots on both upper IRS joints have had to be replaced. 4000 miles was about the failure point for them. (This is on a 450 Grizzly.) Fortunately Yamaha has done a real nice job of engineering it so it is easy to work on. Boot replacement - the kit has all the stuff- takes about a half hour including cleaning out the old grease. I like IRS, but SRA is a more reliable system in terms of not have failure problems out in the boonies somewhere. (Although you can run plenty of distance with a cracked boot as long as you don't get into water or mud that deep.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SAKO75
can-am makes good stuff but im not sure rotax engines are the "best", most powerful yes....

I agree with your opinion on locking diffs (for my kind of use) but the 1st vid only proves that stock tires SUCK! & the 2nd shows what a good drive can do against a not so skilled driver.

The back to back pull off on pavement clearly shows that on pavement, weight wins, course anyone but a moron would already have known that.

Last edited by senior; 08/20/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by senior

but the 1st vid only proves that stock tires SUCK! & the 2nd shows what a good drive can do against a not so skilled driver.

thus spending 4000$ more for a can-am over a honda doesnt automatically make it a more "capable" machine

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/20/12.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I agree with your opinion on locking diffs (for my kind of use) but the 1st vid only proves that stock tires SUCK! & the 2nd shows what a good drive can do against a not so skilled driver.

The back to back pull off on pavement clearly shows that on pavement, weight wins, course anyone but a moron would already have known that.

Yep,

Pavement there is not a better platform to put power to the ground and test the drivetrain. Moron.

Last edited by 28lx; 08/20/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

but the 1st vid only proves that stock tires SUCK! & the 2nd shows what a good drive can do against a not so skilled driver.

thus spending 4000$ more for a can-am over a honda doesnt automatically make it a more "capable" machine

When it's all said and done they're all good bikes these day some better than others.Except for those Chondas and the piece of chit bikes from Canadian tire.Also if can am made a bike with a back up recoil pull starter I'd own one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7 STW

When it's all said and done they're all good bikes these day some better than others.Except for those Chondas and the piece of chit bikes from Canadian tire.Also if can am made a bike with a back up recoil pull starter I'd own one.

Not having a recoil start is a minus.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
a big one.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They don't have a recoil starter anymore? That is a minus.... My old one does.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The only thing I can think of that might be a plus to the lack of a recoil start would be lower case integrity against water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In this country, you can drive one for a whole season and never see water deeper than 6".
I did some searching for the cracked frame thing and apparently they do have a problem although I don't know how serious it is. They redesigned it and still have the problem. From what I'm reading on the forums, though, I think the problems are with guys who pound the hell out of them and likely wouldn't happen with normal use.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 08/22/12.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've seen some guys ride. They really ought to be on a CR250! (riding wayyyyyyyy fast over serious rough stuff, much much faster than any other quad is even remotely capable of) You can break anything.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the problems are with guys who pound the hell out of them

Not true, I'm 40+ years past my moto-cross days frown

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The cracked frame is what's keeping me from buying one. I'm over the fact that they cost a lot. I don't ride like a motoX guy, but it will get used and sometimes hard.

From what I've read, even everday riding has cracked some frames. I believe it's the design of it that is the problem. I've never heard of that from other manufactures.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I believe it's the natural of a "spar" type frame.
How do you keep a single tube from the twist flexing type strains as each individual tire loads it from side to side!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
exactly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see a lot of cracked and broken Honda frames in the local dump. I'm not sure why...I've rarely seen more than four adults on one or front and rear racks heavily loaded with logs. wink

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
that is on the old 3-wheelers. Just think if they loaded them down like you can with a new 4-wheeler. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, it was on the newer 'sideways' engine Hondas. I had to change frames on my old 300 TRX a couple years ago. The saltwater exposure it has seen in the years since build - 98- had eaten the frame into near nothing (and I had used it to hauled god-awful loads of logs; then again, I don't get too crazy when I've got a big load on either.) But, though I didn't crack anything with heavy loads, the engine was all that was holding that rusty frame together. BTW, what's a 3-Wheeler...other than a very dim memory? grin (I honestly don't think I've seen one running, and maybe only 1 or 2 sitting dead and idle, in the last ten years.) Wish I had one of those old Big Reds though; they were the shizz back in the day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.