Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think the Savage 110 has the edge in looks.... wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Goodnews,

First, yes, I agree with your assessment of the AR's lock-up comparison to a R93. The Blaser is clearly much safer. However, I've never seen it mentioned that the AR is a death trap.

While on the topic of the AR, have you ever SEEN how many parts are in an AR. Anyone concerned about the number of parts in a Blaser R93 must absolutely loathe the AR.

BTW, I have two ARs and enjoy them immensely despite the fact they are "unsafe" due to weak lock-up and "over engineered" due to so many parts.

BlueK9.

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/12/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodnews

The R93 In some iteration is what you usually see although there may be some new R8s now too. It's--the R93--fairly popular having sold over a 100k rifles and that was early in the decade.

Seems you know a lot about "them" (ie, more money than sense). What has been your experience with Blasers? The incredible accuracy? The take-down feature that let's you switch scoped barrels in different case head sizes in minutes? The light, compact ergonomics? The long list of of wood grades/synthetic and chambering choices? The detachable scope mounts that hold scope zero or fits on any other barrel?

I see what you mean. Nothing there anybody who is into rifles would like..

Thanks for the above. I have a R93, and all of the above is true in addition the stock out of the box trigger pull is excellent. I have hunted with mine for about 10 years now, and ease of use with the straight back bolt pull is unsurpassed for user friendly too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Okay, Mr. Elkhunter, I just have to know. You said you had a R93 for a week or so and dumped to an "unsuspecting" stooge.

Were you out drinking with Big Stick and overcome with beer goggles when you acquired it and, then, liquored-up some poor soul in efforts to take it off your hands?

There just has to be a great story there if you think the R93 uglier than a Savage 110. I can't imagine you taking the R93 home with you sober. Heck, there's even a picture in Webster's of a 110 as an example for "coyote ugly". grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, I see tnis thread is a 1 year plus old now. Interesting, i just read an article review on the newer R8 (introduced March of 2010). I apologize for not remembering where I read this so I cannot provide a link to it.

But the gist was the newer R8 maintained most of the advantages of its predecessor with the exception being they run a little heavier while retaining the compactness and shorter OAL with the same length barrel than traditional bolt guns. The weight gain is due to a beefed up action which according to the author and his source has withstood over 200k psi without becoming a pipe bomb -- impressive. They also can be had in .458 Lott to .500 J.

The detachable magazine is an arguable improvement depending on one's perspective but it can still be loaded from the top of the magazine well ala the R93.

There are several models including the Professional which is a two barrel set in, IIRC, .300 Win Mag and .375 H&H. This Model has a synthetic stock and goes for someting in the neighborhood of 8k which is admittedly pretty steep in real dollars but offers a very good set-up.

Anyway, this is what a loony does on a Friday night. I might even make it to 10:30 pm but that would be pushing it. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By the way, I have my K95 -- mentioned above somewhere -- in 30/06. It has an octagonal barrel with the sling stud receptacle, well forward of the ebony forend tip capping off AAA wood. It too, like my former R93, is very accurate throwing 168-gr TTSXs over H4350 into .75" groups -- first load I tried and it hits 2900 fps out of its 23.6" barrel.

It weighs 6 lb, 3 oz with a Leup M8 in 4x on it, 6.5 lbs with a Z Conquest 3.5-10x aboard, and breaks down, and goes together again in 15 seconds or so. That and the fact it tucks away in my Badlands 2200 pack is very handy.

My only criticism is that it is only had with an ejector -- no extractor, which seems counter intuitive in a single shot that hunts.

The R8 is very interesting to me though.

Edited to say, eh76, I agree about Savage 110s, in about any model mainly in regard to the profile of the bolt action -- aesthetics for me.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/29/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krupp
I bought a Blaser baseball hat. That's all i could afford....

Same here, but mine was free and free is for me.
Used a few K-95's when I hunted in Germany.Nice fit and finish, but I never killed any critters with them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The bolt action, straight pull, Blasers are pretty cool. I bought one once. If it's going to be your only bolt action type rifle, they're great, but if you plan to use regular type bolt actions too, then you'd best not bother with the Blasers, as you will instinctively want to operate it like a standard bolt action.

Furthermore, I never really felt safe firing a straight pull bolt action. Not enough there, it seems, preventing the bolt from blowing back at you if the system failed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The PH's we were hunting with in Africa a week ago did not like them as they have had more than one fire when not desired. I know nothing about them and never will frankly.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would guess operator error on that.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by eh76
Straight pull doesn't bother me...ugly does smile

I was reading this thread, as I am really wanting a single shot and was looking more for owner experiences and thoughts and who buys one and ran across the above comment.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around why have a camouflaged rifle stock (ie: the 1k yard custom long range guns)? To each their own. I guess it’s like the people I see shopping wearing a camouflage shirt or pants. I will never understand some things and that’s fine by me.

Guyintheswamp
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I imagine they're bought by the same type of tasteless twatwaffle that owns a Porsche Panamera.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
George, did you ever get a K95?
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well said BlueK9; many of my experiences match yours. Plus as you mention, they are a joy to travel with. My 375 would put 270-gr TSXs in less than a .50" inches for three shots at 100 yds as long as I could point it straight.

I am very much looking forward to the K95 for many of the same reasons minus the fast repeating ability.

Guyintheswamp
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
POS... I'll stick with my Sako's and Dakota's...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
People that buy them want a quality factory rifle that doesn't have to be dick-ed with in order to shoot well. We all have a right to buy something that trips our trigger and it might not be a regular design bolt rifle.

A friend of mine has a 7mm R93 LUX and it is a thing of beauty . Handles like a dream.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I got a couple. Very accurate

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The kipplaufs really draw me, but just like with fancy vehicles, I’d rather put the money into something more useful to me. If I was a traveller, one would make more sense. And let’s face it, I’ll be 70 pretty dang soon.

Another one that gets me juiced up is the Mauser M03.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spearhead
Originally Posted by eh76
Straight pull doesn't bother me...ugly does smile

I was reading this thread, as I am really wanting a single shot and was looking more for owner experiences and thoughts and who buys one and ran across the above comment.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around why have a camouflaged rifle stock (ie: the 1k yard custom long range guns)? To each their own. I guess it’s like the people I see shopping wearing a camouflage shirt or pants. I will never understand some things and that’s fine by me.

Yes sir, I did, in 30/06 and then because a rimmed cartridge seemed more fitting, I obtained a 7mmR, kind of a rimmed version of the 280 REM. It’s probably the perfect back-pack rifle, edging out the Dak model 10 because it breaks down, though I would expect the model 10 to probably being a bit quicker on a second reload and shot.

Again my experience, matched that of the R93 as to aesthetics, quality, accuracy, etc.

I did do a misprint in my above post about the K95 — it has an extractor only; no ejector. This cause a slight inconvenience for me, a lefty as the extractor rose up at the 9’oclock position of the case rim, right where the left index finger in opposition to my thumb of my left hand sought purchase of the case-head. So I had to adjust my cartridge plucking a bit.

In fact, it became quicker to tip this break-action barrel skyward and let the case fall out which seemed a little off-putting for a $3-4k (at that time) firearm.

I had the R8 too, but in beefing up the action to accommodate the “African” cartridges, Blaser lost some of the svelteness of the R93’s stocks, the pistol grip having gotten thicker, and the whole rifle heavier. That wouldn’t have been a problem except they dc’d the R93, so took away that choice except on the secondary market.

While my overall experience was very positive, I will admit to some of the aluminum receiver embellishments being a bit overboard for me including gold triggers and bolt faces on the of the more expensive models. Wood, in my experience, was mostly very good to even better.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Agreed!!!
I’m looking forward to experiencing what Blaser has to offer.

Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Orange-

I took no offense really but it's big of you to realize you might have and say it. What really bugs me is it's kind of fashionable to denigrate these rifles in ignorance and miss out on what a really, fine, well thought out rifle they are.

Guyintheswamp
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
an old thread. i am an accidental blaser owner. I did work for a gun shop that used to sell them and the owner was a huge fan. I saw how they shot and wanted one for 15 years or more. I saw them come for sale at various times and for whatever reason didn't have the money to buy a used one. no way am I paying new retail. so I started looking pretty hard for a couple years for a deal. finally found one in 7mag. with scope mount for $2200. I have no use for 7 mag so the plan was to trade it for something more interesting. So I traded the barrel for a 6.5-284. That barrel shoots 3/8" at 200 yards!!! its shot sub .5" @ 200 yards shooting one shot, removing the scope and shooting 2 more shots. the barrel is threaded and it shoots like that suppressed and its awesome to shoot with a can on it. its about like the recoil of an unsuppressed ar 15.

the shells you have you to really push hard into the mag insert, that part is kinda annoying. I think blaser should lower the price on these and they would sell quite a few more. I think they would make a great tactical rifle if they could figure out how to have extended mags on them. If I knew nothing of blasers from doing work at this gun shop, there is no way I would have ever owned one. I think they are insanely overpriced. I think the parts are insanely overpriced too. from bolt heads to barrels. there are ways around it on the used market with some effort. I still don't think I am your typical blaser guy.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.