Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You're a tool and die maker...... and asked for a drawing of the reamer? Wow.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your point?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You're a 'numbers guy'..... do the math....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"numbers guy"
Yep,thats me.
Well, thank you very much.
All compliments accepted.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very interesting cartridge.

But I'm not touching the name with a ten foot pole.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Finally had a chance to get the more "final" version of the 7mm Rogue finished up late last night. Still waiting on the new stock design, but bear season is approaching so I dropped it in an extra McMillan A-3 I had laying on the shelf. Broke her in today and am happy with the little tweaks I made to the reamer. My reduced "forming" charges are clipping along at 3147 with a 180 Berger. Shot a nice little sub 3" group at 675yds with virgin cases with the forming load. Will most likely run through these 100 cases and then load them up with the hot load. The barrel should be stabilized by then. Hell, the reduced charge is sub 1/2moa accuracy and plenty fast.

Specs:
R Bros Rogue Action w/hunter port
Broughton R Bros spec'd contour, fluted, 1-9 twist, 27" finish
PTG Alum BDL
McMillan A-3
20MOA Alum Rail
Jewell Trigger 1.75lbs
DE Muzzle Brake
DE Cheekpiece
NF 5.5-22x50 w/UL rings

Total weight w/o the bipod is 10.5lbs
The new stock design should get it down to 10lbs or at least the same.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very interesting indeed. Surely a well thought out LR hammer. But if you want to captivate the folks round here you got to cut that barrel down to 22", change the contour to a #1,use Crap Nor barrels, put it in a McM compact with edge fill and put a 2-8x36 Leupold on it. grin Me, I love it. And am man enough to handle a "grown man's" rifle. One day I hope to have need for such a tool. Cause it definitely scores more points in my book than any 6# UL pea shooter. And no doubt is way more accurate.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

TMR, nice gun, congratulations on the "Blue-Print"

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Very interesting indeed. Surely a well thought out LR hammer. But if you want to captivate the folks round here you got to cut that barrel down to 22", change the contour to a #1,use Crap Nor barrels, put it in a McM compact with edge fill and put a 2-8x36 Leupold on it. grin....

Well, 280A's fictional blueprint sure won't work well in Travis' wildcat IMHO smile Not everyone wants one of those,and I like a bit more beef myself.Nothing wrong with a 6# rifle,but I wouldn't want it chambered for a blown out 7mm that pushed 180's at 3150.. eek

Nice thing about Travis' cartridge is you can put it up in a sporter configuration weighing about 8-8.5 pounds as well, and recoil will stay manageable,yet is nice and portable.

I don't have Travis's skill sets at real long range so that format works for me....nevertheless that is a nice rifle that Travis put together and I like the cartridge. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Very interesting indeed. Surely a well thought out LR hammer. But if you want to captivate the folks round here you got to cut that barrel down to 22", change the contour to a #1,use Crap Nor barrels, put it in a McM compact with edge fill and put a 2-8x36 Leupold on it. grin Me, I love it. And am man enough to handle a "grown man's" rifle. One day I hope to have need for such a tool. Cause it definitely scores more points in my book than any 6# UL pea shooter. And no doubt is way more accurate.
Kinda' unnecessary...People have recognized the usefulness in flyweight, packable rigs, and here someone else has recognized the usefulness in a heavier, more stable hammer. Totally different applications, but you've got to make a mockery of that...

That's a beautiful rifle Travis... the work you put in on that cart design is awesome.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pard, those are some real impressive numbers on that cartridge!

Congrats for a project well thought out!

T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
While I appreciate a light rifle, I tend to keep the flyweights in lower recoil calibers. In the Magnums, as Bob said, 8-8.5lbs is where I like them for lightweights. Even with muzzlebrakes, rifles in the 7-8lb range jump around and are not as stable. For our style of hunting, a 9-10lb rifle fits the bill. Still plenty portable, yet gives us a stable platform for longrange work.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I get a kick outta ol 280. He likes to poke fun about what folks like to " custom order/build". He acts like everyone does it that way too. He's the one that's always giving his 2 cents about why short barrels and why light guns. He just as obnoxious about long barrels and giving input that was never asked for....laffin.

That is a awesome build/ chambering.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
I've had a few customs. The first done before I ever knew the 24HCF even existed. Yeah it was HEAVY. Maybe too heavy. But it was a dual purpose rig and it worked well. When I built my last rifle I laid out the blueprint, and darn near every reply for a short while revolved around "shorten the barrel, thinner contour, McM edge, talley lw", etc. Not saying you were one of those, Kaleb. I have been around a few LW rigs. And while handy, they just didnt shoot worth a darn for whatever reason. And a LW rig that I cant operate to my satisfaction is worthless. But to hear most here tell it, if you dont build certain calibers a certain way, its WRONG. The rifle TMR has pictured is about as perfect a setup as it gets. I'm still young enough and physically able to be very mobile with such a setup no matter what caliber its in. The 7-08 Im working on now, I have been told by several, TOO HEAVY. The barrel too long. Laminated stock going to make it too heavy. Scope too heavy. Thats why I enjoy stirring the pot. But enough of that. There are a few places where I hunt that the Rogue could come in handy. And hopefully one day I can have me a true LR hammer.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i am ready to send my rifle out for a rechamber as soon as your ready,,,,
the Rogue awaits,

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Exciting! wink

300, what rifle will you rechamber?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
TMR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Sounds good. So, its looking like I will have formed brass for this critter as well available with the dies. Have some samples of properly head stamped stuff in manufacturing, but it could be upwards of 6 months from what they are telling me to get the samples, then I will need to test it out first. So, in the mean time, there will be formed Winchester brass for a small fee. She continues to test out well, so its looking like after hunting season we will get rolling on outside builds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TMR
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Its a 7mm Mashburn Improved. grin

Nice looking cartridge and rifle. cool

Slightly different shoulder angle, neck length and body taper. So I guess it could be a Mashburn Improved.

Shoulda dubbed it the 7mm Mashed Potato.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Exciting! wink

300, what rifle will you rechamber?

i have a custom built 7mm rem mag by SSG , its my long range coyote gun, been looking at the 7 mashburn or a standard 7-300 win mag for a year or 2, i like the looks of this ROGUE quite a bit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This may of been covered but what are the die costs for the Rogue? And is RCBS or Redding willing and ready to do them?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.