Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i picked up 3 like new lyman 20x all american scopes today. the scopes came with a letter from wally siebert who i understand was the expert on boosting the power on these scopes. the letter states that the power was boosted on one of the lymans to 32x in 1994. my problem is the power level on all 3 scopes seems the same to me. i can not tell any differents in the 3 of them. is there a way i can tell what power they are???

its my understanding that wally just passed away in may of this year.

Last edited by srwshooter; 07/02/12.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, easy. Clamp all three in V blocks side by side. Add a fourth scope of known power (20X if possible) in a fourth set of V blocks next to the first three.
Set up a large target made up of 1" grids blocks at 100 yards. Look through all four. Any difference as large as 12X should jump out at you. On the assumption that all 3 Lymans started with the same FOV, some simple math and grid sqare counting should allow you to calculate the power of the modified scope.

These were good scopes in their day, almost as good as Unertls BUT no match for a current fixed power Nightforce of today.

You might want to talk with TK Lee optics as they do excellent work,

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by twister999
Yup, easy. Clamp all three in V blocks side by side. Add a fourth scope of known power (20X if possible) in a fourth set of V blocks next to the first three.
Set up a large target made up of 1" grids blocks at 100 yards. Look through all four. Any difference as large as 12X should jump out at you. On the assumption that all 3 Lymans started with the same FOV, some simple math and grid sqare counting should allow you to calculate the power of the modified scope.

These were good scopes in their day, almost as good as Unertls BUT no match for a current fixed power Nightforce of today.

You might want to talk with TK Lee optics as they do excellent work,

I gotta get out more, didnt know Nightforce made a Fixed Power Riflescope.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes. I said Nightforce but I should have said this one.

http://www.valdada.com/scopes/benchrest-competition-scope/36x42-30mm-sf-benchrest-competition-scope

Anyway, the method will work regardless of my terrible error of not looking at my Nightforces and IORs. Probably means I own too many of each.

Heck you even could use the Nightforce 12-42x56 benchrest model sat at 20 X and 32X for a direct comparision ...... if you owned one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're up to 39 posts without this new user name being banned. Congratulations Larry.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably means you're senile Larry.

And a braggart as well.

As Larry said however a 12X difference should be easy to spot just looking through them by holding them in your hand.

Maybe it was converted back to 20X or the 32X scope was erroneously not included.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Holy flyin' hogchit, is that LR too? shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the OP, hope it works for you. Try to ignore the chatter that is all about self-aggrandizement and nothing to do with your question.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more help and wish to avoid the timewasters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laughable how you're trying to claim you're only here to "Help the membership".

"twister999"...Larry... Duane... Roger... Karen... Sybil... irregardless of the name you use, you're still the same old gender confused, paranoid delusional geriatric TROLL.

Extremely telling of your true "character" (lack there of) that you find it necessary to continually circumvent Rick Bin's wishes for you to be gone from his website by adding numerous screen names for the sole intent and purpose to TROLL a site where you are neither wanted nor offer ANYTHING of real use and value to the membership.

You live your pathetic excuse of an existence vicariously through Gun Rags and books and then claim and spew them as if it were first hand experience, yet it is something you've only read and never done. I'll grant you that you're a plethora of antiquated and useless knowledge.

You've been banned here multiple times and have multiple user names and even claim to be your wife from time to time! You've done the same thing on many other Forums, and have been banned from them as well ... (SnipersHide, Optics Talk, ARAIG, just to name a few...)

You have lied about being a "Fighter Pilot", combat service, heroism, etc. and were outed as the liar and despicable poser that you are.

You have to stroke your pathetic and imbecilic persona on the Internet as you've failed miserably at life and don't get the attention you crave at home... 70 years of useless existence and this is how you choose to make a name for yourself...

Utterly pathetic...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes. I said Nightforce but I should have said this one.

http://www.valdada.com/scopes/benchrest-competition-scope/36x42-30mm-sf-benchrest-competition-scope

Anyway, the method will work regardless of my terrible error of not looking at my Nightforces and IORs. Probably means I own too many of each.

Heck you even could use the Nightforce 12-42x56 benchrest model sat at 20 X and 32X for a direct comparision ...... if you owned one.

Dont need that much glass, run a 2.5-10X24 and 5.5-22X56 Nightforces, and a pair of Leica 10-42 R/F Geovids for everything else.

Hey Rootman, don't you have a little pink blowup pig that's missing his ride on your lap this evening? LOL.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This [bleep] is off the chain FOST. sick

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And FOST cannot seem to explain how all his "2012 visit to Pinedale" photos were taken in 2010.

Could he be a liar ? Not possible in the honorable company he keeps !

Gunner, why don't you go down to Norman and try and find Bricktop as the school has never heard of him. Start at the Jiffy Lube, they have a lot of process engineers there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes.

You mean you didn't open your internet "safe" to get pictures to put on the Fire. I've heard that's where you guns are stored... crazy

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And like sands through the hourglass............sick

Gunner

Now how can I bee frends wit ya twister, you already said i caint afford a purty NF scope. cry

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Oops, you are correct, I didn't open the safe and look at the scopes.

You mean you didn't open your internet "safe" to get pictures to put on the Fire. I've heard that's where you guns are stored... crazy

DF

LMAO DF.........BUSTED laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stomp your feet, gnash your dentures and swing that purse of yours oldmantrannydouche!

Since you so desperately want to talk about lies.... how about regaling us again with you heroic exploits during your 3 tours in 'Nam as a THUDS / F-105 "Fighter Pilot"??... Remember, loosing your friends over Red River....bunking with "Marine Snipers"... expert Marksman Badges with four different weapons... 600 and 1000 yard matches that you won while in the Air Force... your much claimed and touted combat service...

Absolutely riveting and fascinating tales! wink

Even more so since your DD214 didn't reflect ANY of those tall tales!

You were NOT a fighter pilot (nor any other type)
NO sniper action nor association
NO combat service
NO reflection of these so called qualifications with FOUR weapons
NO mention of these LR matches you supposedly won....

You were just a communications nerd assigned to the Autodin switch in Korat.

Wasn't enough to be truthful for once in your pathetic excuse for a life and just say you served honorably. You had to weave a fantastical tale of heroism in an attempt to impress others, and bolster your flagging ego.

You're a sad pathetic little shell of a man...

Don't hurt yourself swinging that purse! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only part that's believable is him/she/it "bunking" with other men..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So are you or are you not Larry Root? yes or no will suffice and if you ARE, why do you insist on this sociopathic behavior? Again a simple yes or no will suffice. I hope I didn't overtask you..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The OP will have to excuse us for a spell, while we take care of some pressing business.

The Troll Toll on the Fire is becoming a drag, not too unlike trying to decide if something is a mandate, a penalty or a tax.

We know what this is, an infestation by vermin. And with this particular one, even Orkin has problems. This one morphs into another named pest before the Orkin man can get the correct potion mixed up to spray.

It's a problem, but not insurmountable. The bright light of truth always intimidates cockroaches and you can see them scurrying for cover as the light hits them.

So, bear with us. We'll get to your question after taking care of some urgent housecleaning.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So are you or are you not Larry Root? yes or no will suffice and if you ARE, why do you insist on this sociopathic behavior? Again a simple yes or no will suffice. I hope I didn't overtask you..

Jorge, good luck getting a straight answer.

This weasel doesn't deal in straight answers, as his contorted brain isn't geared up for anything logical or coherent.

But, I'm sure you knew all that already... smirk

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
164 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.