Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
redtop Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'm getting some blade blanks ground for me and trying to decide between these two steels. Which do you prefer for a hunting blade?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The heat treat is a lot more important than the steel these days. ATS34 properly heat treated will handle virtually any normal task you can use it for, and will certainly produce an excellent end result. In testing S30V has been shown to hold an edge longer. It is a little harder to sharpen and is known to be a bit more likely to chip. They are both excellent steels and will produce an excellent blade, so it's really more about Heat Treat and grind. Who's doing the heat treat?

Last edited by mtnman1; 07/09/12.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Both are super good

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer ATS over s30v on a custom handmade knife simply because if I get it dull,it's easier for me to re sharpen.I've never been in a situation,where my ATS-34 knife was not cutting good for me & said,"I wish this was S30V" Never happen,not me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtnman1
The heat treat is a lot more important than the steel these days. ATS34 properly heat treated will handle virtually any normal task you can use it for, and will certainly produce an excellent end result. In testing S30V has been shown to hold an edge longer. It is a little harder to sharpen and is known to be a bit more likely to chip. They are both excellent steels and will produce an excellent blade, so it's really more about Heat Treat and grind. Who's doing the heat treat?

I had thought that S30V was considered a "tougher" and less likely to chip steel than ATS34, D2, etc?.... Basically that the next closest steel to it in toughness was A2. Maybe I'm confused....I've not been able to chip S30V yet in a lot of hard use.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Several of the large production manufacturers like Benchmade and Spyderco adopted S30V in some of their high end production knives and had reports of problems with edge chipping. It's good stuff and I have, make and use S30V blades and haven't had big problems with chipping, but I don't chop cinder blocks either. Honestly, I doubt the average user will be able to tell the diff. in these two. ATS34 might need to be touched up a bit more often, but S30V will be a little harder to sharpen. End of the day, the guy skinnin' deer and hogs and/or cleanin' fish is gonna be very happy with either one. ATS34 and S30V are both good steels. Vince's point is well taken, for daily use I doubt anyone with an ATS34 blade is ever gonna wish they had S30V instead.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's a link to some basic testing done and evaluation. There are a lot of comparisons out there. For most uses the differences probably won't show up, but if everything is done specific to the steel (heat treat, etc) it seems like S30V comes out ahead in most cases. ...again if you don't use it to the max, any difference may not show up....

http://warrenknives.com/blade%20steels.htm

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/articles/S30V.pdf

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If a fella didnt know and didn't read the net he'd be happy with either. It seems some jump on a certain type band wagon. I've 3 s30v prolly 3 or 4 ats34 and 3 154cpm(or whatever it is). All are very nice knives. And a d2 or two but those are knives of Alaska no customs in d2. I would feel silly sayin one of the more popular types was good and another thpe sucked?

Last edited by Kaleb; 07/09/12.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ive got 2 from this guy and he does a nice job. Never paid Attn to the tapered tang till talkin with Vince. This guy makes a pretty nice blade. Not sayin they any better than anyone else's. There has been some super nice blades sold lately on here by fire members..!

http://www.norfleetcustomknives.com/knife_gallery.htm

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
He don't really have many pics on his site anymore?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found Ats34 to be much easier to polish and sharpen than CPMS30V. These are two advantages that just might be worth the loss in edge holding in the comparison. I think that is what you would expect with ATS34 being less wear resistant. If you want a high polish finish on your blade, then I would go with the ATS34.

We use mostly CPMS30V in our shop when a stainless steel is requested, which is most of the time. Both are good steels and at one or two deer a day you probably won't be able to tell a difference in edge holding. One or two hogs probably will show a difference. The CPMS30V will with out question hold an edge longer. That is assuming that each steel is heat treated correctly. If you leave out steps or think you know enough metalurgy to make up your own process, don't blame the steel. I've never seen a properly heat treated CMPS30V blade or ATS34 blade chip. I have done some terrible things to good blades to try and duplicate the problem with no success.

My brother did have a commercial folder that had a CPMS30V blade and it would not hold an edge. We pulled the blade and heat treated it to specs and it worked just fine. Heard later that some commercial makers, early on, were cutting a step or two in the heat treat process to reduce cost. Cutting corners never pays in the long run.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good answer. Sort of my opinion, but you put it much better.

I prefer a mirror finish, and for that reason, I would choose either ATS 34 or 154 CM. I would really like to try the CPM 154 CM, from a knife makers standpoint.

But, due to health reasons, I can't.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As noted above, you will most likely not see a noticeable difference in normal use.

Ask your blade grinder which he prefers and go with that.
A happy grinder is a better grinder.

S30V does seem to require more attention to details in HT, so make sure you have a good source for that.

jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
redtop Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to have Two Finger Knife Co. do the grind and heat treat. I'll make sure and pursue more info on their heat treat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"...Ask your blade grinder which he prefers and go with that.
A happy grinder is a better grinder."

Boy, now that's a quote that applies to just about ANY customed made object.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Boise
"...Ask your blade grinder which he prefers and go with that.
A happy grinder is a better grinder."

Boy, now that's a quote that applies to just about ANY customed made object.

Or dentist! ...sorry, daughter-n-law just became a dentist. grin

Last edited by GunGeezer; 07/09/12.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ats-34 got a little bad press because of factory heat treating! Its great steel when worked properly. I have removed skin's for 20 years with it and never had a problem in use or getting constant heat treating results.s30v is great stuff but hell to sharpen for a lot of people. If not heat treated properly and (ground properly) both are polished turds!

Last edited by rickmenefee; 07/09/12.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
menefees hits it on the head about heattreat, the most advanced 3rd generation powder alloy w/o the correct heattreat would'nt outcut a walmart blister pack cheapie. all things being equal the 4 points of vanadium in s30 will certainly insure greater resistance to edge abrasion. vanadium carbides in good heattreats rockwell in the 80s.this hardness is about the highest of all alloy carbides.--cranky72

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hard to sharpen most often means hard to lose an edge too.

My S30V blades will hold edge longer than my ATS34 blades. But in general use, either is outstanding. The S30V has become my choice for saltwater.

The Japanese mastered ATS34, especially in the Al Mar designs. Dozier/Crotts and Phil Wilson do magic with S30V.
Lots to be said for letting a knifemaker build what they like to work with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
well gee, since ATS 34 is a Hitachi product, I would hope the Japanese learned how to use it. smile

The same question could be asked about CM 154 and S30V, since ATS 34 is the Hitachi version of CM 154.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.