Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Brother told me yesterday that he went to the supermarket and bought an inch thick slice of turkey breast. He cut it in cubes, opened a can of gravy and served it over mashed potatoes. He said he had that and Wampums. Huh?

He said "don't you remember Uncle Bob back in Oklahoma?" "Uncle Bob and Wampums?" I looked at him like he lost his mind. I said "what is a Wampum."

My Brother said those Pillsbury biscuits. The kind in the cardboard tube you've got to peel and smack on the counter to open.

So, why "Wampums."

He said Uncle Bob called them Wampums because that was what you had to do to get them open! Wamp um on the corner of the counter!

Was that just our house or is that a Southernese I just never heard before!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard that term before used in that way,..but I know what he's talking about. Can't let them canned biscuits sit out and warm up either or you get a BIG wampum...

I've heard "wampum" used around here as another term for money. Always been told it was an injun term.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Never heard that term before used in that way,..but I know what he's talking about. Can't let them canned biscuits sit out and warm up either or you get a BIG wampum...

I've heard "wampum" used around here as another term for money. Always been told it was an injun term.

More along the lines of ssss-PA-WOMP!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Wikipedia has a good description of what it is. The Indians didn't use it for money until the white settlers realized it's value to the Indians and introduced them to the concept of money. It was originally a religious thing and had many uses like binding agreements, paying bride prices, etc. It was strings of shell beads made from specific shellfish.

WAMPUM

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Around here they are called WOP biscuits because you wop the can against the counter to get it open.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's the currency system Hawkeye wants to revert back to.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We called 'em bump biscuits cause you bumped the container on the edge of the counter. Maybe he meant wop'em.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
FWIW, I spent my first 24 years in Alabama and the last 33 in Texas and I've always heard canned biscuits called either U-Wop-Ums or simply Wop-Ums. I guess Whomp-Ums would work as well. The meaning is as described already that to open them you whopped them against the counter or table edge. They came out, at least in my part of the planet, when I was a kid. Guess I'm getting old. Wamp-Um was an Indian term for cash or trading material.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wampum is what I'd like to do to catman925's head. grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Indian money.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
These:

Originally Posted by websterparish47
We called 'em bump biscuits cause you bumped the container on the edge of the counter. Maybe he meant wop'em.

Originally Posted by Henryseale
FWIW, I spent my first 24 years in Alabama and the last 33 in Texas and I've always heard canned biscuits called either U-Wop-Ums or simply Wop-Ums. I guess Whomp-Ums would work as well. The meaning is as described already that to open them you whopped them against the counter or table edge.

Having lived in Alabama all of my adult life, I have asked every time I heard the term. I always get the same response...

"you whop'em against the counter."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when referring to biscuits, wampum has nothing to do with indians or their shell derived currency.
Jerry Clower described it best in his comedic sketch, "My Mama Made Biscuits"

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The man that invented canned biscuits should be tied to a paw paw tree and shot to death with a .25 automatic.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We always called em whop biscuits.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Around here they are called WOP biscuits because you wop the can against the counter to get it open.

Yup. wop biscuits. Never liked 'em.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually called whap buscits around my neighborhood. You whap the can on the edge of the counter and there they are.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heered of woompus cats around our parts. we always had cathead biscuits. and they were mixed up in the flour bin. no measuring or anything. just pour in buttermilk and a handfull of lard.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I heard them called "whomp 'ems". Like someone said, you have to "whomp 'em" on the edge of the counter to open the tube.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I first heard (read) of them from Lewis Grizzard, who called them "whomp biscuits" if I remember correctly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lewis Grizzard was a yankee dressed in Southern clothes. A pox on his house.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.