Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Caliber choices: 30-06 or 280 rem. will do anything without the "magnum"

Scope Leupold 2.5-8x36 in Talley one piece. Nice and light,
Ple Ty of magnification and also a great low power range

Rifle: many choices. Pull up rifles and see what you like as far as stock and triggers. I have several Tikkas, Sakos, and a couple Rem 700

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Nice Ruger. First one I've seen that was fluted. Special run or???

I had the work done. Had the barrel fluted, bolt handle skelitonized, and trigger worked to 2.75lbs.

Very nice, I also like the fluted barrel....Maybe I should do that to mine...How does yours shoot?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka T-3 in 30-06

Here is mine!

[Linked Image]

Took her to the range yesterday and she shot .6" at 100 yards.

H4350 with 165 Partitions at 2850 fps.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I had the work done. Had the barrel fluted, bolt handle skelitonized, and trigger worked to 2.75lbs.

Very nice, I also like the fluted barrel....Maybe I should do that to mine...How does yours shoot?

By the looks of all them dead critters, it shoots purdy good

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I had the work done. Had the barrel fluted, bolt handle skeletonized, and trigger worked to 2.75lbs.

By the looks of all them dead critters, it shoots purdy good

Can't say that it's a tack driver, but that could be me. it gets the job done as a hunter. Farthest shot on game is just a little over 200, but it has kilt some rocks at 400-450. grin That's pretty good for me!

BSA, that's a nice All Weather you put into that pretty walnut stock, don't think I would do it to that one. It was almost mine before you pulled it from the classifieds. You were a brave man to put that one up for sale.

Last edited by 308ld; 07/04/12.

Ed
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Jonathon -

It wasn't clear in my previous post but both Ruger .30-06s were purchased used and the .338 WM was built from used parts except for the stock. The point is there are a lot of very good used guns available, usually for much less than new, and often you can't tell the difference in how they look or shoot.

My wood/blue Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts is a case in point and has been my favorite rifle since I acquired it. Built in 1989, it became mine in January, 2004. At that time it didn't even have scratches in the bluing under the slide safety - something I "fixed" in the first couple trips to the range. Cost was $400 and included a Leupold M8 4x in the rings.
[Linked Image]

Another used bargain was a Remington BDL in .308 Win. It was 30 years old when I picked it up off the Gander Mountain used gun rack at a cost of $350. Except for the missing rear sight it looked like new. I replaced the sight only to find out it was removed to make room for the scope, so off it came again. The picture below is from the first load development I did with it. Every shot used a 0.5g increment in powder.
[Linked Image]

Here's another scope check target from the Remington M700 .308W:
[Linked Image]

Just saying, don't overlook the used rack - there are often bargains there waiting for a good home.

CH, nice work with those orphaned rifles.....

Case in point, I was just in Seattle WA. Took a trip to a new cabela's up off of I-5 in Marysville. Used gun rack had a Ruger 1A 30-06 in very, very nice shape, better than average wood, 4X Glenfield scope and a sling...$349! By the time I made up my mind and got back to the gun deptment (about 30 minutes) it was gone, well, I could still see it but it was behind the counter with a sales slip on the barrel.

Last edited by 308ld; 07/04/12.

Ed
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
308ld.....That rifle of yours puts meat in the freezer and is tough as nails and looks to be plenty accurate...What more could you ask for? I like those rugers man.....great rifles....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

.......... Used gun rack had a Ruger 1A 30-06 in very, very nice shape, better than average wood, 4X Glenfield scope and a sling...$349! By the time I made up my mind and got back to the gun deptment (about 30 minutes) it was gone,

MAN!! I really am sorry you missed that one but..

At $349, what took 30 SECONDS to decide?

If you SNOOZE you looze, really sorry.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall

.......... Used gun rack had a Ruger 1A 30-06 in very, very nice shape, better than average wood, 4X Glenfield scope and a sling...$349! By the time I made up my mind and got back to the gun deptment (about 30 minutes) it was gone,

Jerry

Jerry, I agree 100% with you. If I had been in my home state that Ruger would never have parted from my hand. I was in Washington State, I live in Massachusetts. At the time if I knew cabela's will ship to any other Cabela's for a small or no fee I would have had it shipped to Maine and picked it up there. Like you said "YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOZE". It's not the first time I was caught napping. cry I've lost my share, but that was a pretty good one. cool

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

That is so very true!

In 2002 I stopped by a fairly new gun shop on a whim. It was probably the second or third time I had stopped in even though I drove by it at least once every work day. As I walked in they had a sign listing the specials of the day, including a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 for $249.95. I hadn�t been able to find a good one for under $400 so I figured it would be an old, rusty beater - but I had to take a look. The serial number indicated it was only 2 years old and it was in perfect shape. As I was still examining the rifle another person came in and asked for it. Yet another came in while I was filling out the paperwork.

Another time I paused on a stainless/boat paddle Ruger MKII in .$270. It looked great and the asking price was $325 and they wouldn�t budge. I decided to walk the rest of the gun show and let them think about my offer of $310. The next day I went back to buy it and someone else was filling out the paperwork on it.

Yet another Ruger MKII stainless/boat paddle at a gun show, a .338WM tagged with $300. Had I found it a few minutes earlier it would have been mine but someone else got there first and was doing the paperwork.

Bargains are where you find them and usually don�t last.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/05/12. Reason: typo

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My choice is a Kimber 84M Montana, .308, Leupold 2X7. Accurate, light to carry, easy cleaning/maintenance (rains a lot during hunting season!). I know you specified a 3X9 - but I like the lower setting for woods/brush hunting and the 2X7 is better proportiioned to the lighweight Montana IMO!

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/10/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
x bolt 708

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by orion03
Welcome to the Fire Jonathon. Get yourself a Winchester or a Ruger in 338 Win. Mag, learn to shoot it well, and you'll be set for anything in the lower 48. I've been hunting for 40 years with walnut and blued rifles and have never had a problem with them given proper care. Some will say you don't need that much horsepower, but if you're going to hunt anything and everything down here I'd say it's better to error on the heavy side.

Well I would Say Win or Rem...

But

The rest is right on!

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.