Passed away at the age of 61 today...

Godspeed Sally, RIP.

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn. I wonder what happened.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Darn. I wonder what happened.

Pancreatic cancer.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Pancreatic cancer.

That's not an easy one (as if any cancer is easy, but that's one of the tougher ones to have).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very sad.

I remember her pioneering mission.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FOX just reported dipshit said "she had so many young girls reaching for the stars"...

...now who was it that killed the space program?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
FOX just reported dipshit said "she had so many young girls reaching for the stars"...

Did you know that if you respond to someones post with the quote function and it has a [bleep] in it you can read what they originally typed. No [bleep].

Last edited by shreck; 07/23/12.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ALL SYSTEMS GO
CLEARED FOR FINAL LAUNCH
GODSPEED SALLY RIDE

Here's the full statement from Sally Ride Science, the San Diego company she developed to provide classroom materials, programs and professional help for K-12 teachers:

Sally Ride Science:
Sally Ride died peacefully July 23, 2012 after a courageous 17-month battle with
pancreatic cancer. Sally lived her life to the fullest, with boundless energy, curiosity, intelligence, passion, commitment, and love. Her integrity was absolute; her spirit was immeasurable; her approach to life was fearless.

Sally was a physicist, the first American woman to fly in space, a science writer, and the President and CEO of Sally Ride Science. She had the rare ability to understand the essence of things and to inspire those around her to join her pursuits.

Sally's historic flight into space captured the nation's imagination and made her a household name. She became a symbol of the ability of women to break barriers and a hero to generations of adventurous young girls. After retiring from NASA, Sally used her high profile to champion a cause she believed in passionately�inspiring young people, especially girls, to stick with their interest in science, to become scientifically literate, and to consider pursuing careers in science and engineering.

In addition to Tam O'Shaughnessy, her partner of 27 years, Sally is survived by her mother, Joyce; her sister, Bear; her niece, Caitlin, and nephew, Whitney; her staff of 40 at Sally Ride Science; and many friends and colleagues around the country

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW

That'd be teacher Christa Mcauliffe.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, they were talking about Sally Ride and noted she was a Physics professor.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell of a way to go. At least she got to touch the stars.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RIP...
Found this intresting as I know she had been married
Ride died on July 23, 2012, after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer. Ride was described as "very private". Her same-sex relationship with her partner of 27 years, Tam O'Shaughnessy, was revealed in Ride's obituary released by Sally Ride Science and confirmed by Ride's sister, as well as a Sally Ride Science spokesperson.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
Nope, they were talking about Sally Ride and noted she was a Physics professor.

I thought you asked "who was it(the woman astronaut) that was killed in the space program. My mistake. blush

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She was on the board of trustees for the company I work for and I got to brief her and the rest of the board on some work once. Attentive, respectful (even though her qualifications far outweighed mine) and she asked good questions. What a shame to lose a role model like her that young.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wow, sorry to hear of her fate

but I had no idea she was a carpet muncher

eek

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
She apparently wasn't always. She was married to astronaut Steve Hawely for 5 years.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I knew and worked with her before and after her flight. Like every astronaut I ever met, she was brilliant, incredibly capable - and humble. The world isn't quite as sunny with her light diminished.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.