Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my Shield M&P but having a Major Problem with it being my Primary Carry Weapon. Every other time i draw the weapon in a hurry my finger hits the Magazine release and ejects the Mag and this is no good . This is happening because I'm LH and wouldn't be a issue for someone carry RH. I don't trust carrying it because of this, so switched to my Sig P239 in 357 Sig and now carrying it. If i needed the pistol in a hurry it would be a bitch for the mag to eject in a life and death situation. This is happening with the inside the pants holster , Crossbreed Super Tuck. I will order a outside holster and see if it will correct the problem . Smith should made the Mag release reversible like on the other M&P's. This problem sucks because this is the ideal carry weapon.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bea,

how well does the mag release when it's reverse for us southpaws? Heard some problems that it doesn't work that well.

Being southpaw definite has it's disadvantages when it come time to selection a CCW pistol.

The main reason for me considering the M&P is due to it being so southpaw friendly. Plus it's as reliable as a glock. Thinking of picking one up in 9mm.

Leo

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Glock has nothing on the standard M&P or the Compact Shield. The only problem with the Shield is the short grip and being left hand my finger hits the mag release when drawing in a hurry , not every time but often enough to make me not trust it in a life and death situation at least with the inside the pant carry holster. I will try the extended mag and see if it helps with this problem and if it does then i will use the short mag as a backup. You can see in the photo the mag release in in line with the trigger and very close. To bad Smith didn't make it reversible like all the other M&P Models. I really loved and had hopes for this pistol for everyday carry, as of right now i will carry my Sig or Glock. As you can see the problem doesn't exist on my full size M&P because i reversed the mag release on it .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bea,

Very nice!

How do you like the thumb safety the M&P pictured above. I know some don't like it on a striker fired polymer pistol, but I kinda like them myself.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I kind of like it since i carry it in a Cross Breed Super Tuck and I'm used to this type of safety since i carry a 1911 often.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it was me I'd check on how hard it would be to get another mag release just in case and then try to work down the height where my finger seemed to hit the release.

Stipple a little texture back on the release and give it a try.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I went back to carrying my Shield today with the extended mag they supply and i believe this has solved the problem , got more to get a handle on than the short flush fit mag and now carrying it again and easier to draw from the Super Tuck. The Shield is so good i just can't give it up. As popular as the Shield has become the market will be flooded with after market parts very soon.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A common solution is going with a heavier mag catch spring. With the Shield being a new pistol there might not be much out there yet, but it might be worth a call to Wolff to see if they can come up with something. You'd need to pull the spring and have a micrometer handy.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I only had this problem when drawing the pistol in a hurry, like in a life and death situation. If drawing slow no problem . I believe the longer grip with the extended mag will do away with this minor problem . Will update after using for a few days. I will use the shorter mag as a backup since i always carry a spare when packing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
The Glock has nothing on the standard M&P or the Compact Shield. The only problem with the Shield is the short grip and being left hand my finger hits the mag release when drawing in a hurry , not every time but often enough to make me not trust it in a life and death situation at least with the inside the pant carry holster. I will try the extended mag and see if it helps with this problem and if it does then i will use the short mag as a backup. You can see in the photo the mag release in in line with the trigger and very close. To bad Smith didn't make it reversible like all the other M&P Models.
I hear ya..

WHY do these manufacturers continue to snub lefties?? The fools - there's a LOT of LH shooters around and would love to have a handgun that actually WORKS for LH shooters..

Short-sighted thinking, IYAM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm too old a dog. Whenever I've switched a mag release or safety for lefty use it screws me up and I've switched back.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bea175
I only had this problem when drawing the pistol in a hurry, like in a life and death situation. If drawing slow no problem . I believe the longer grip with the extended mag will do away with this minor problem . Will update after using for a few days. I will use the shorter mag as a backup since i always carry a spare when packing.

As a fellow lefty and likely future Shield owner I'm looking forward to your updates. Thanks for Beta Testing for the rest of us.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.