Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
http://by164w.bay164.mail.live.com/...p;attdepth=0&attindex=0&CP=20127

Here's photo #1
FN mauser 9.3 x 62 J Kobe side swing safety and Shilen # 3 at 24 inches with a timney trigger. Cerakoted by Charley Santoni. 7 lbs 9 ozs sans scope. Just picked it from Charley around noon today. Quite pleased with it, will wring it out at the range next monday.

Last edited by sidepass; 03/19/12.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
http://by164w.bay164.mail.live.com/...p;attdepth=1&attindex=1&CP=20127

Oh yes, Mcmillan Mark X standard fill Olive drab.

Last edited by sidepass; 03/19/12.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
E
E
My rifle,9.3x62mm FN mauser 1954 model ,I want to buy picatiny rail ,which model ,can you help me .thank you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
http://www.satterleearms.com/

Your rifle will be over 9 pounds with a scope. Unless your going for the 20 inch barrel?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the latest rendition of the Mauser 9.3x62, wearing a VX-6 1-6x24 in Talley QD's.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DF,

What does it weigh all-up (including ammo)? Does it hold four or five down? Did you go with an Edge for regular fill on your McMillan?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With that VX-6, it comes in at 8# 13 oz. That's a bit over my 8# 8 oz goal weight. With the 1.5-5x20 VX-3, it's about on target.

This stock is a B&C Medalist. I went with it because Brownells has them in stock and I didn't have to wait 6-8 months for a McM.

If I ever outfit it with NECG sights, it'll need a lower comb, something like a McM Express with no front swing swivel stud.

I've very pleased with this FN 98 Mauser, Canjar trigger, Oberndorf 3 panel handle and swing type safety. The trigger is a very consistent, clean breaking 3#, excellent as Canjar is known to be.

I think the VX-6 is worth a bit of extra weight. The gun balances nicely and handles like a lighter gun. I'm getting ready to sight it in and work up some loads.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's the latest rendition of the Mauser 9.3x62, wearing a VX-6 1-6x24 in Talley QD's.

DF

[Linked Image]

The scope looks slightly cocked up in the picture, front higher than back, scope NOT parallel with bolt and action. I never noticed that before looking at this photo.

I think I got the .278" tall rear base, the one for the small ring Mauser. The correct one for the large ring Mauser is .340" high. The front bases are all the same, .175" high.

So, I'll have to send these bases back to Talley and get the right ones.

Gotta get all that right before sighting in and shooting.

Ammo is loaded and ready.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/10/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

Sweet geezus....You really didn't have to show us that!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
With that VX-6, it comes in at 8# 13 oz. That's a bit over my 8# 8 oz goal weight. With the 1.5-5x20 VX-3, it's about on target.

This stock is a B&C Medalist. I went with it because Brownells has them in stock and I didn't have to wait 6-8 months for a McM.

If I ever outfit it with NECG sights, it'll need a lower comb, something like a McM Express with no front swing swivel stud.

I've very pleased with this FN 98 Mauser, Canjar trigger, Oberndorf 3 panel handle and swing type safety. The trigger is a very consistent, clean breaking 3#, excellent as Canjar is known to be.

I think the VX-6 is worth a bit of extra weight. The gun balances nicely and handles like a lighter gun. I'm getting ready to sight it in and work up some loads.

DF

Let us know what she likes for loads...Did you get any of those nosler partitons that were on sale the other day at shooters pro shop??? I had to buy 5 boxes of them.....Great deal..Good luck with your load workup....Remember to let us know what she likes..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm embarrassed. The "cocked up" scope is due to the front ring not being fully engaged in the base. My bad... frown

I measured the rear base and it's .340" high as it should be.

I had to send the low Talley QD's back to Brownells for a med set. That straight, Oberndorf style bolt handle requires more scope clearance than a conventional bolt handle.

One of these day's I'll get it all put together and go shoot some groups.

DF

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mike McCabe in Colorado is doing a 9.3x62 Mauser for me right now! I am taking it to Africa in Sept. He has done 2 other Mauser rifles for me and he does excellent work.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great action ,great cartridge. Just keep the styling American or European classic. Don't go too heavy or too high with the scope magnefication. Using a Texas gunsmith with our, German, Bohemian, Czech traditon would be a nice touch; you should have a great not just good hunting rifle.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kutenay

I do have and have had several rifles, i.e.m Browning Safaris, Henri Dumoulin and so forth on the "H-ring" and they are at least as good as any American sporting rifle now made, except Champlins. So, load sanely and worry not!

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Champlin made by Lenard Brownell. Mr. Brownell fit the barrel and front sight band, made the quarter rib, the Tally type rings and a really nice French Walnut stock with Fleu-de-Lis checkering and skeleton grip cap and butt plate.

How is the Champlin set up for gas control?

DF

Van Zwoll's notes about it here (he says gas handling is about the only shortcoming the action has):

http://books.google.com/books?id=xm...ing%20on%20Champlin%20action&f=false

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm embarrassed. The "cocked up" scope is due to the front ring not being fully engaged in the base. My bad... frown

I measured the rear base and it's .340" high as it should be.

I had to send the low Talley QD's back to Brownells for a med set. That straight, Oberndorf style bolt handle requires more scope clearance than a conventional bolt handle.

One of these day's I'll get it all put together and go shoot some groups.

DF

We are waiting buddy...I shot mine just a little bit today as an ongoing saga for load development....I won't show my groups until you show yours wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, allright I got tired of waiting for you grin....:

What charge weight do you think I should go with?..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I figured the 286 gr. Nosler partition should be my huckleberry (or I should say my rifles) wink...Can't wait for elk season!!!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
PM Jkob here on the fire

Buy once, cry once.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
PM Jkob here on the fire

Dude, his rifle is ALREADY done!!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.