Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Is anybody using Promo powder?

Our club is having a group buy of components, and I can get an 8 lb jug for $30-40 less than my normal Clays/Universal Clays/Int'l Clays.

I load 410, 28, 20, and 12 ga, all in "target" loads (sporting clays/skeet). From their info, it looks like this stuff is for the 12 ga only.

I'm off to look in to more specific load data, but wondering about impressions and experiences from those who have actually used it.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've always used Red Dot, Greeen Dot or Clays but recently bought an 8 lb. jug because of the price difference. Have shot less than a thousand so far but I can't tell any difference in performance. Use a scale to check drops. I've only loaded it in 12 gauge with 1 and 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kstwind
Use a scale to check drops. I've only loaded it in 12 gauge with 1 and 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

Yep, powder always gets weighed during set up. It seems that the MEC bushing charts are always off by at least one, and usually two, sizes.

I load mainly 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga, so I'm thinking of this powder for lighter loads.

Good to hear the "no difference in performance".

At a $40 savings, if it works, it's going to be a welcome change!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I load using the univ. charge bars for the very reason it is hard to get a bushing to drop dead nuts.

I have not used promo but have used the the Clay Dot powder. It has more of a "quick pop" to the recoil than Clay does. I have several friends that load Promo powder and I may buy an 8 lb can next time I buy just to try it.
I have been loading Clays in 12, Intl. Clays in 20, Univ Clays, in 28, and I don't load 410's anymore but when I did, I used 2400 or Lit Gun>

I am looking to load up some 1300 FPS range 7/8 and 1 oz 12 ga stuff for sporting clays. I will have to look at the Promo and see if it would be good for that or not.

Just for my own info, what is shot running up your way? It is about like a second mortgage down here smile Its about $39 per bag and $31 for reclaimed.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by pullit
I have been loading Clays in 12, Intl. Clays in 20, Univ Clays, in 28,

Exactly the same line-up here. smile

The Clays line is a full 50% more expensive though than the Promo, hence the reason that I'm going to grab a couple/few jugs this weekend. Kinda like a "Buy Two, Get One Free" deal. cool

Just for my own info, what is shot running up your way? It is about like a second mortgage down here smile Its about $39 per bag and $31 for reclaimed.

Looks to be about $33 in most places, with a few shops that are higher (but one is the same shop that wants $12.99 for ClayBuster wads!) eek

I've got about 250 pounds laying out in the garage, still from the "good old day" prices.

Makes me cringe to think I'm going to pay almost double when I need to restock. eek

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am going to the Grand in a few weeks and sure hope someone has a "deal" on shot.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shot up 8 pounds of it last year. Metered and shot fine in 1 ounce loads. Only problem I experienced was an occational blooper when temps where below 30 degrees. Can't say if the Promo was the problem or the primer. At the time I was using Nobel Sport and CCI's. I've heard that for colder temps Fed 209a primers work well with Promo.

I've settled on Clay Dot lately. Love it for 1 ounce loads. Trying to find a 7/8 ounce load I like with it now.

Our State Shoot had shot for $35. It didn't last long. Wheeling Cabela's has it marked down to $39.99 right now. Not a bad buy if you can find a coupon or have gift cards to apply to the purchase.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ring3
I've settled on Clay Dot lately. Love it for 1 ounce loads. Trying to find a 7/8 ounce load I like with it now.

If Promo was working for you, why the switch to Clay Dot?

The cold weather issues, or something else?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by ring3

If Promo was working for you, why the switch to Clay Dot?

The cold weather issues, or something else?

I stated out with Red Dot then tried Promo because of cost and ability to use Red Dot data. Found a good deal on 16 pounds of Clay's and started working with it in various 7/8 and 1 ounce loads. After using it up I tried Clay Dot on the recommendation it is very similar to Clay's and Clay's data can be used for Clay Dot. Although I continue to try other combinations, my go to load for trap back to the 22 yard line is:

Rem Hull (Sport Load, Gun Club, STS, Nitro, etc..)
Win, NS, CCI, Cheddite primer
DR XL1-12 wad
Clay Dot 17.3 grains
1 ounce #8 mag shot

My chrono reads an average of 1225fps, 29fps spread, 15 load sample size. Used NS primers for this data. The other primers mentioned gave very similar results using 5 shot samples. Note: I don't reccomend freely subbing out primers. The load I'm using creates right around 8000psi per Alliant data. I am comfortable using other mild primers at this pressure.

Cost of Clay Dot is slightly more than Promo, but it takes less Clay Dot to make my current favorite so its not an issue for me. I also feel more of a recoil "shove" with Clay Dot as opposed to Promo and Red Dots "snap" on my sholder. The blooper issue in cold weather was with NS primers. Possibly a hotter primer would eliminate this problem. Alliant's 2012 data only shows one 1oz. load using a CCI209M primer. Nothing for a Fed209A.

I enjoy experimenting with various loads. Part of my enjoyment working with shotguns. Loading some Red Dot now that was made in 1975. It shoots great. Also picked up some 700x I have yet to try. For 1 1/8 loads I like International Clays. When its gone gonna try Green Dot. I'm certainly not knocking Promo and encourage you to try some. I wouldn't hesitate using it again.

Hope this long winded response helped.

Rob

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by pullit

$37.50 yesterday. sick

Anyway, ordered two 8 pound jugs of Promo yesterday. With 16 pounds of it, I hope I like it! laugh

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks Rob!

I appreciate the detailed thoughts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.