Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
In hopes of "curing" my Sako Finnlight ejection problems, I've ordered Sako medium rings to replace my Sako extra low rings. My problem is that I'm having problems understanding what this passage means.

"The rear of the front base should be level with the front of the ejection openning."

I've looked at online photos of mounted scopes using optilock rings and bases and the above instructions don't match what I thought it meant.

Any tips on mounting Sako Rings and Bases would be greatly appreciated (note: I've already ordered and received better/stronger ring screws on Ebay).

In case you'er wondering, the gunshop installed the extra low Optilock rings and bases for me.

BP-B6

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What they are saying is to install the front ring base forward enough so that it doesn't cover the ejection port.

This photo shows my Sako with the (wrong) front base that came with it. Notice how it overhangs the port.

[Linked Image]

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockbase.pdf
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockring.pdf

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think what they are saying is that the rear of the front base should rest at the beginning of the opening of the ejection port. Mine is a bit forward of that and it works fine.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys. Now it makes sense and it is fine if it is forward of the "ejection" openning. It was setup by the gunshop about a half inch beyond the ejection openning.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The mounting is a tapered dovetail. It goes where it goes.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've had some instructions that say flush with the front of ejection port, and others that say centered on the front dovetail. I think it depends what length action you order bases for.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My gun is a .300 WSM. I assume the gunshop I purchased the gun from ordered the correct bases. I've made "witness" marks on the bases and the rings in hopes it makes the switchero of rings easier.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Why on earth some gunsmiths mount bases that overhang the"ejection" port, either front or back, I will never know! Looks bloody ugly. The manufacturer put a great big hole there for a reason and then some dimwit goes and covers some of it, and usually the most important bit for clean ejection. IMO if the bases dont match the appropriate length on the front or the back, they should be centred on the front and back of the receiver. If you are using original Sako tapered bases then they should fit centred. If they overhang, try some others that match the d&t holes correctly.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
moving the front base/ring affects the windage.It's best to install the scope loose and adjust the front ring until you center the scope on the barrel.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BTW what is your Finnlight?S,M.L action?I have a S action and it functions perfect.
I can't beleive there isn't a cure for this.Almost makes me want to buy one of those problem children to try to fix.
If the price was right of course.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
It's a .300 WSM (short-action). Perhaps the short-fat case is part of the issue (in addition to a ejection system that some feel is a inherent flaw). The topic of Sako M85 ejection issues was a recent thread here that I followed with interest prior to receiving mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is how they should be mounted on a short action...

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's the same orientation of the bases on a long action but the front ring sits at the rear of the base rather than front.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
319 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.