Print Thread
Hop To
K
KRD Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hello all, I tried a couple of searches to see if this topic has been discussed before and could not find any, so I hope that I am not asking a repetitive question.
I am interested in getting a Browning X-Bolt in a 7-08.

It appears that Browning has recently introduced the Synthetic Grey Hunter at an MSRP of $729. This seems to be quite a bit lower than other X-Bolt models.
Do any of you have any experience with this model of the X-Bolt and maybe know what, if anything has been removed to achieve this lower price?

Also, any input on the X-Bolt vs other brands of 7-08s would be helpful as well.
Thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That particular model is a Shot Show Special. You will probably have a hard time getting one, unless you know a dealer who has one on the shelf.

You are going to get a mixed bag on opinions for the X-Bolt. I have been using and loving the A-Bolts for years. Bought an X-Bolt back in 2009 and have had great luck with it. My experience with all Browning rifles are they tend to be very good shooters and not too picky with what you feed them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
X-Bolts are great rifles. I have seen several Gray ones at the local gun shows. I really don't care for it. The black with the Duratouch stock is nice. Try Gunbroker, I think they have several Gray ones on there.
If I remember, the gray is not Duratouch. (ruberized) Go to the Browning web-site, maybe it will help

As far as the rifle itself, it should be an 1MOA gun @ 100yds

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have also owned a half dozen or so X-Bolt rifles, all mine were stainless stalker models and every one was an MOA shooter right out of the box with at least one factory ammo, I never had as much as a hiccup out of any of these rifles, I don't like that you can't disassemble the bolt for cleaning but that is My only real complaint here............Good luck..........Hb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like the X-Bolt but the gray stock is the cheapest synthetic stock I've ever felt. Feels thin and you can flex it in your hands. I'd spend a few more sheckels and get the duratouch.

IC B2

G
G
I know this is an old thread, but it was the first thing that popped up in google when I searched for my current rifle - a Browning x-bolt synthetic gray/hunter. I have one in 280 Remington. So when someone was trashing the gray stocks, just wanted to signup quick and add this...

I have had and sold, one at a time, a synthetic stocked Remington 700 ADL in 243, Marlin XL7 in 270, TC Venture in 270, Tikka T3 in 270 and Savage Axis in 270. Being long and lanky and liking to do custom camo paint jobs on these plastic stocks, I had the recoil pad off of each and every one of them. And the thickness of the stock plastic on each and everyone of them was about 1/3 the thickness of the plastic of the Browning X-bolt stock. That was a pleasant surprise when I pulled the Inflex Recoil pad off the x-bolt. Stiffer, quieter, solid plastic stock because of that extra thickness. Was also very easy to cut out a piece of black walnut on the band saw and create a spacer to increase the LOP a bit, unlike the other guns. All things considered, I rank this gray stock at the top of all sythetics I've worked with. It is also came bedded from the factory, and the gun consistently shoots MOA from a lead sled.

I personally do not care for the DuraTouch - mostly because I like to paint them (not an option with duratouch.) But I've seen and handled a couple of them. Dimensions sure look the same as the gray stocks... I'm pretty sure they are basically the same -- but with the duratouch coating added. Good stocks, either way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks and welcome to the fire, goshawk. That's good information on the X-Bolt stock.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.