Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Were there is one there are more. Get rid of the food source.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by xxclaro
There's been a couple of big skunks hangin around my place,and I want em dead!They come right up on the porch,looking for leftovers from the cat.

Why not just change how you feed the cat? Easy enough and a permanent, no muss, no fuss solution. Pretty simple really

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an old shed on my farm where i store some hunting stuff.

Saw a skunk outside it once but never more than a large rat inside it.

I put out a couple of one pound blocks of rat poison and left the box with 2 more one pound blocks sitting on the shelf

Well, something (skunk or coon i am guessing) got in there and not only ate the 2 pounds of rat poison i left out, but also took the box outside and tore into it to get the other 2 pounds.

Ever since then i have not seen a mouse or rat, but i do leave a few chunks of rat poison in it every time i go to the farm and they are always gone when i return

They (rats, skunks, coons, possum(?)) have now consumed 8 pounds of rat poison. I dont know if they are immune or if i am making a dent in the rodent population

I am quite cautious when i walk in the door. Waiting for the day when i peek in and there is a skunk inside there

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My friends grandparents lived next a wooded area for years
and would see a skunk every now and then. When the wood lot
was sold and they started building apartments, it was like
skunk city, 6 or 7 in the yard almost every night. The GC
trapped them and syringed them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
mix the golden martin fly bait with a can of dr pepper. coons and skunks die very quickly

FJB
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
have killed 3 so far this year
used a 12gauge, a.22 and my 375H&H
on the last one.
Didn't smell a thing...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Fair warning on the fly bait, it will also kill every cat or dog that gets into it. And they will get into it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to live on a ravine lot in the city. Behind the house was 17 acres of municipal woodlot. Lots of coons and skunks. Neighbour was live trapping coons and transplanting them out of the area.

One hot summer morning he went out and found a skunk in the trap. Since we were in the city we couldn't shoot it. He called an animal control person and asked him to come out. He couldn't make it for two or three hours so we sat around waiting. During this time the skunk was pacing back and forth in the cage. By the time the animal control guy got there the skunk was dead. The a.c guy told us that skunks have a very high metabolism rate and that during hot weather, if left alone, they would work themselves up to the point they would roll over and die.

When weather conditions weren't favourable he suggested putting a cover over the cage and very, very gently moving the cage into the back of a pickup. He then took them to a gravel pit and opened one end of the cage so the skunk could get out. A 12 ga. finished the project.

I can understand why they want a big dollar for these removals.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a barn on the acreage where a passel of cats live. I feed them in the barn, usually when I go to work. If I have to feed them after dark I always have a .22 along. It has a dutch door so I leave the top part open and peek in before entering. Caught a few possums and skunks at the food bowls this way. The skunks usually spray as they kick the bucket. We can smell it clear up to the house which is a good hundred yards away.
Wife doesn't like the smell but she hates the skunks worse.
Last summer I popped one in the back yard in the middle of the afternoon. Kinda scary to have one out in the middle of the day.
I'm glad I live in the country.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockchucker
mix the golden martin fly bait with a can of dr pepper. coons and skunks die very quickly

yep, it works

Arcus Venator
I have found that a live trap works well. I always leave enough bait ,I mean last meal fixins to make em slow down. Then in the morning I slip a blanket over the trap with a long pole and then I lay some plastic over top of the blanket.Start the truck and give em 5 minutes. O I almost for got to mention the pipe between the truck exhaust and the trap. Puts em right to sleep no stink. 2 years ago I caught 13 skunks and 9 coons. This year I have 3 skunks so far, but expecting more. All the dogs around here give the paws up.Can't discharge weapons n city limits and wouldn't want to damage the trap by shootin at it any way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
maybe it was just an odd skunk, but we had a pet one for awhile when i was a kid, stepbrother went to retrieve him outa the neighbors yard and grabbed him by the tail and hoisted him up off the ground, he was used to us, but maybe it was the neighbor lady screaming that got the skunk riled up. Anyhoo he didn't seem to give a chit his feet were off the ground, he doused my stepbrother but good! lmao

we had some working coon hounds, but my old man had strange notions about what makes a pet, had 3-4 raccoons, a chinchilla, that skunk, a bat and a litter of coyote pups we raised.

he's on marriage number 4 or 5 (i've lost count) and not too many exotic critters around the last few years, typical stuff, some dogs, a few chickens, few calves and for awhile a buncha minature burros

had a magnetic sign on his truck that said "half azz farm"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
Why not just change how you feed the cat? Easy enough and a permanent, no muss, no fuss solution. Pretty simple really

This.

As long as you are putting food out you will be attracting something to hang around.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Scott's trapping method works well.
Use a solid box trap ( not a havahart )
They won't spray in confined trap.
I trapped as many as 7 a week in my Euclid Ohio duplex.
1/2 a block west of City Hall!

I placed the trap in a huge plastic shipping peanut bag.
Tied it off to the tailpipe of my truck.
Started her up and inflated it.
Go inside for a cup of coffee and come out and drump deceased skunk into the garbage.
Re set the trap and repeat

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
297 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.