Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
And Bob, please don't forget Parker and Bowman...and of course that Dobrenski character wink

Dober

Chet: Yeah maybe you and Dober are tougher on the rifles than JOC was....I guess the Minar Springfield 30/06 got beat up more than the #2 M70...IIRC by the time Jobson got it, the checkering was gone and the stock was pinned together at the wrist. smile

Dober I forgot Parker,Bowman and you blush Hard to remember them all grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a scurvy bunch eh...... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to agree with Chetaf, a wood and blue rifle that has been used hard and is well cared for, such as O'connors M70 is a piece of working art, thats a rare combo, most tools are just tools, but a classic rifle is a tool and a work of art.
Each scratch and dent has a story!
I have owned a few such older rifles and always wished they could talk! I would love to hear the storys they would tell.
The best ones are the ones we own and storys we have together.

I also have and use synthetic stocked rifles, I even have an 1909 Argentine Mauser in a Basner! But my favorites are the wood stocked Mausers and M70's.
If the hunting is slow I can always pass time admiring them!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
What a scurvy bunch eh...... wink

Dober

Ideed! LOL! grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had rather my woodstocked customs had no injury to them, but they are working, hunting rifles. I guess a few dings lend character. My problem is just looking at one of my rifles puts a ding it. I don't believe in safe queens.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
butch I think it runs the gamut with the collector types not wanting to use them. But many like yourself are willing to hunt them..I don't want to abuse one myself but have hunted them and enjoyed them more because of it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
TexasRick, love these kind of stories. I know I would never be able to build one like that, but would love to see a pic of your gun that you put together posted if you don't mind. I bet others here would to. Good job and appreciate the story.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 08/09/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guess what? I was installing a scope on my 250-3000 that Kobe just finished. How in the 'ell it happened I don't know, but the scope grew wings and flew up into the air. The front bell came done on the right hand side of the fore end and cut two pretty good divots in the stock. Kobe may be slow this winter and maybe have time to repair it. The rifle is still going Axis deer hunting the first part of September.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by TexasRick
everything else has been a step backwards, except maybe in cost of manufacturing.

Taking that quote litterally, all I have to say is ..

Horseapples. laugh

The 3 position safety, trigger design and cocking cam on the Winchester m70 are an improvement over the military m98 action for any sporting use.

The Remington m700 reciever layout is an improvment in pure accuracy. It's not even debateable. Benchrest shooters a lot older than you (as in long dead and gone) settled that issue in the 1950s and 60s.

You can love, revere and idolize the m98 all you want, but it still does not make it superior to every turnbolt repeater that has come after it.

Anybody visited with this guy lately? He has disappeared with my custom 40X, walnut, and money. Jim62 seems to have disappeared with my stuff and other peoples projects.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ouch....... Sorry to hear that Butch.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butch, FYI -

jim62 (Member #6678)
User
Registered On: 12/09/04 03:58 PM

Looks like he is still alive, must be seeing who may be coming to pay him a visit?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He's a trip. I've got some things working that he will not be pleased about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good on you, shame on him. In the past, I like others seen his posts.....so I am not surprised, but am disappointed. NOBODY should be on 24hr exploiting others.

Unfortunately a few have, and some good people have been on the wrong end. Hope it all works out in the end, and I am sure you will resolve this matter Butch, one way or another.

Too bad good people like you have to deal w/a hassle but glad you are pursuing means to right this wrong.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 4 g33/40 rifles(6.5 x55, 6.6-06, 2-25-06's) one synthetic stock, one curly maple, one new zealand walnut, one plain walnut, will use them when ever I need I don't ding any gun on purpose but they are a tool, to be used . I have one more g33/40 action don't think I will build may trade for a Tikka creedmoor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't put a synthetic on a 98. That's what 700s are for. smile

I had a faux Rigby Stalker built last year in a nice pc of english walnut. The 1st trip out with it was to NFLD on a moose hunt last fall. It rained and I dragged it through the alders. It shows some marks but that's what I bought it for.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Shilen #2 contour is still a fairly heavy contour; especially in the midsection. I doubt there would be a huge difference in accuracy. If I was looking to build a lightish rifle, I would probably lighten the #2 a bit in the midsection. I like the Sako Hunter stock. The drop at the heel is decent and the comb is at a good height. I also like the grip angle and fullness. The swell helps to position your hand. All in all, the design manages to incorporate the beneficial features and doesn't look bad doing it. It deviates from the severe classic design popularized by American makers today but it is a good, functional design. The modern classic often has insufficient drop at the heel and while it is a decent prone stock, it is not great offhand.
98 actions are great. Perceived shortcoming are just that; perceived. Lock time is a little long? Who cares? I've never seen an animal duck after the trigger tripped. Recoil lug area is small? Maybe in a 458. The action is strong, safe, and stone reliable. The original two-stage trigger, properly tuned, is a trigger which pulls three pounds and cannot fail. It consists of five parts; including pins and springs.
I put one of Jim Wisner's Winchester-style safeties on one of mine because, at that time, it was the thing to do. My other Mausers have Beuhlers or trigger safeties, if the trigger was replaced with a Timney or Sako (another popular but unnecessary alteration IMO).
If one wants to save some weight on his Mauser build, there are aluminum bottom metal/magazine parts available and they work just fine.
As far as the choice between wood and glass, for a stock, is concerned; that is personal choice. In the mid-seventies, when Chet Brown and Lee Six were producing glass stocks, those of us who had gravitated toward these stocks for benchrest rifles, were somewhat willing to try them for hunting rifles as well and they worked great. They didn't look real great; mostly because the concept of finishing them well was kind of in it's infancy and a lot of us just sprayed them with the rattle can of choice. Today, finishes by good builders are durable and attractive, Sadly, I have never gotten much past the rattlecan approach!
Although the glass stocks provided real benefits (light weight, durability, weatherproof etc.) a lot of us still liked wood for the feel and for the opportunity to show off our ability to shape, fit, and finish a piece of wood. Many of todays stockmakers produce truly remarkable pieces. Others, like myself, make extremely functional handles; much like that found on a hammer or post hole digger.
Anyway, for the OP's 33/40, the Shilen #2 would be great (I would modify the contour slightly) and the MacMillan stock, in the Sako Hunter pattern, would make a nice handle. The NECG sights are nice but I have to ask, Why in the hell would one want to saddle the rifle with Talley One-Piece mounts, in combination with the sights? Do you plan to carry a Torx wrench with you, to remove the scope for quick use of those nice iron sights? Steel Weaver bases, in combination with any one of the quickly detachable rings which fit them. An alternative, if you prefer, would be Talleys QD rings and bases. The right answer is; anything but Talley one piece LW's.
I would stick with the original trigger (most would not) and a Beuhler-style safety. GD

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good to see BobInNH posting again!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Good to see BobInNH posting again!

That post was in 2012

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
He passed away a few years back

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, this is a very old thread.

One alternative some might consider if they REALLY want a traditional rifle on a G33/40 action is to look for a used one. Since this thread first started I came across this one at a local gun store, maybe 4 years ago.

There are no markings to indicate who made it, but it's a top-notch job. The stock and bolt handle obviously have Germanic influence (not unusual in the older custom rifle business in the U.S.), but it also has a Jaeger trigger, made in the Paul Jaeger shop in Pennsylvania. With the scope and mounts it weighs 7-1/2 pounds, and shoots VERY well. Oh, and the chambering is .30-06.

It wasn't exactly cheap, but cost a hell of a lot less than getting a similar rifle built today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
285 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.