CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#6769289 - 08/12/12 03:31 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Big_W]
Bushcraft Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Washington
Joe,

I'm talking about the frame and overall suspension system, which is where the rubber meets the road. Pack bags are, well, bags...whose differences are largely superfluous.

Not that it matters, but I'm not sure how anyone can't see the uncanny resemblence to Kifaru's Duplex. You can toss the KUIU out since it's carbon flexy/breaky sheet is a not a stay supported platform that you can modify. At least the Storm Glacier's suspension system looks robust. Hopefully I'll be able to swing through Bozeman in a couple of weeks on my way to WY and take a closer look at them. 2.16 lbs. for the frame is very intriguing.

Load lifters on a MR NICE frame??? They're non-existent.

BP 468
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#6769453 - 08/12/12 04:25 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Brad]
Vigilguy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Utah

"The wrap-around hipbelt design was abandoned in the early 80's by most makers because they just don't work all that well. That's why the young makers returning to that design amuse me to no end."

Brad, I sincerely believe that it may not work for you and your body, but my McHale SCMII has a wrap around Critical Mass hipbelt that works wonderfully well for me and a lot of others. In fact Dan uses it on all of his heavy duty CM packs because of its load carrying ability.

#6769520 - 08/12/12 04:47 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Vigilguy]
hunting1 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
The MR Nice frame was the most uncomftorble pack I have ever worn! That picture makes my shoulders hurt just remembering. Kifaru makes an awsome product, but it is cool to see any US company breaking in and even better if they are any good.

#6769522 - 08/12/12 04:48 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Vigilguy]
Big_W Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Vigilguy

Brad, I sincerely believe that it may not work for you and your body, but my McHale SCMII has a wrap around Critical Mass hipbelt that works wonderfully well for me and a lot of others. In fact Dan uses it on all of his heavy duty CM packs because of its load carrying ability.

I agree, but McHale's system is very different than other full wrap belts out there. You adjust your lumbar pressure from the inside of the pack, fine tuning it for the weight of the load. It is not a belt just bolted to a frame as Brad might be referring to like the Kuiu.

#6769536 - 08/12/12 04:51 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Big_W]
remington79 Offline

Loc: North Idaho
There are no load lifters on the NICE frame if you use the Crew Cab like you have pictured. Now the 6500 does have load lifters. To compare a Duplex frame with load lifters to a NICE frame that has a pack on it with no load lifters is not a fair comparison. Compare it with one of the bags that has load lifters if you want a fair comparison.

#6769653 - 08/12/12 05:24 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: remington79]
Bushcraft Offline
Campfire Regular

You are right. But, again, I was referring to the frame & suspension system only. All MR had to do was build it into their NICE frame and they would have had an even better product.

#6769796 - 08/12/12 06:01 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Bushcraft]
hunting1 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
" was referring to the frame & suspension system only. All MR had to do was build it into their NICE frame and they would have had an even better product."

I have asked Seacat or MR why the won't and the answer is always it is perfect and we are not changing.

#6769858 - 08/12/12 06:19 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: hunting1]
JoeH Offline

I have heard the same as far as folks asking them why they didn't design their wildy expensive frame to be tall enough for the average human. Their pack bags look kinda neat though.

Alan,
I see some similarities between the duplex and glacier, but if you look at the 2012 Kuiu frame, there are even more that scream rip off. I think it's cool if someone can make a living off of something they love. To me its just cheap the way that they essentially removed the Kuiu logo, and slapped their own on there. Where the load lifters leave the frame and go to the shoulder straps does smack of Duplex, I will give you that. As well, the U shaped cut out behind the neck.
I know that aint a whole lot new out there these days. I get it. But the Kuiu pack bag layout was/is (at least in my experience) very different. Seems it was some strange hybrid pack in the sense of how it opens. Different enough to really stand out when someone else comes along and makes theres just like it. Their load shelf or whatever they call it, while a terrible idea I agree, is done by the Kuiu boys too. Any one thing 'borrowed' here or there is nothing. But the sum of those parts....well back in ole Leanna Tennessee, we would call Bullshit.

Edited by JoeH (08/12/12 06:19 PM)

#6769866 - 08/12/12 06:22 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Big_W]
Brad Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: Big_W
Originally Posted By: Vigilguy

I agree, but McHale's system is very different than other full wrap belts out there. You adjust your lumbar pressure from the inside of the pack, fine tuning it for the weight of the load. It is not a belt just bolted to a frame as Brad might be referring to like the Kuiu.

Precisely.

But I'd still not get a McHale without the lumbar pad and two-piece belt.

Would add too, McHales one piece belt doesn't have the ridiculous rise in the rear either... you know the one that Kuiu and now Stone Glacier borrowed from Arcteryx... most bloody awful, painful belt I've ever used.

I'd go with a McHale over an MR, Kuiu, or Stone Glacier pack any day...

#6769970 - 08/12/12 06:55 PM Re: Stone Glacier packs [Re: Brad]
strawman Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Zootown, MT
If you polled 100 people and let them test 10 packs from 10 different manufacturers for extended lengths of time, you'd invariable get multiple users who prefer each of the 10 different packs. It always cracks me up to read people sitting in an internet forum who describe packs as being worthless, pieces of crp, etc...when it really just boiled down to it not being comfortable to them. Meanwhile, there are probably many thousands of users wearing that pack at the exact same time in the backcountry somewhere thinking, "man, I love this pack." I'm 100% sure that there are going to be people who love this pack, as well as people who are going to hate it.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
767 registered (10generation, 04Hunter, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10ring1, 86 invisible), 1451 Guests and 367 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50210 Members
72 Forums
628551 Topics
9010425 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.