Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Looks like somebody forgot to patent their gear.

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That pack would suck balls to live out of. Any deviation from the pocket configuration and the roll top of ULA packs is a step away the ideal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just one more one more bad design among dozens of badly designed packs that litter the market today.

A wraparound belt that rides high in the back with no lumbar, no stays that can be shaped.

What a waste.

Too bad...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh, I don't know Brad...Kurt's obviously been on more than a few hardcore backpack hunts and undoubtedly knows what he does and doesn't like in a pack.

I don't know why people are jabbering about it being similar to the KUIU or Mystery Ranch suspension systems. Yeah, it shares some vague similarities to the new KUIU frame (one guess as to which reworked suspension system it was modeled after) but it's nothing at all like Mystery Ranch's NICE no-load lifter design, which, in my estimation is a non-starter. The NICE frame, with very little weight in it (35 lbs. ???) that I wore briefly last weekend, was actually very comfortable in the lower lumbar and hips but still pulled back and down on my shoulders. While comfortable, it was exceedingly obvious that it would have been a suckfest if I was really loaded down. There's no question that the Mystery Ranch pack was well constructed, but anybody that thinks their NICE frame is on par - comfortable load bearing wise, with Kifaru's Duplex, is smoking crack or talking out their ass.

Aside from shoulder pad velcro thing, Kurt's "new" pack design, to my eye, looks like there were some design features copied from the Kifaru Duplex design, albeit on a diet. Which, is a pretty damn good place to start if you are going to try to design a new pack. The velco shoulder strap thing is an interesting approach at weight loss that I'd like to see stand the test of time and elements. Also, I'd really like to know exactly how his waistbelt attaches to the frame stays. Unless he's infringing on patent or copyright law, I don't have a problem with another new entrant that is attempting to cater to the demands of the modern hardcore backpack hunting crowd. As a capitalist, I'm all for free enterprise and competition. The consumer is ultimately the winner!

Blatant imitation of Patrick Smith's duplex design aside, there's an obvious design flaw that leaps out at me. I'm always befuddled whenever I see pack designers (both old and new) use compression straps that are perpendicular to the frame - a design aspect is not particularly well thought out. The second you hoist a heavy load on your back - ESPECIALLY when you sandwich something between frame and pack the load will want to start shifting down and the horizontal compression straps don't do a damn thing to help stop the initial sag. The load shifts down and the compression straps, when viewed from the side, end up at an angle. Very simple physics really. The perpendicular compression strap thing looks cool and all in pictures when you've got a bag stuffed with a sleeping bag, but try that with a big freakin' bag of dead meat and it's bound to turn into something ugly that was largely preventable from the outset. Uglier still when you attempt the sandwich load that's seemingly all the rage these days.

So, why not just start with a compression angle that pulls the load up to where it was intended to be in the first place?

But I guess that's what you get when you get myopic and don't let me and other backpack hunters R&D your pack for a while before you go into production. grin wink

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
What about that looks like a Duplex to you? I own a Duplex and just don't see it. I see what looks like a Kuiu all the way. Their 'solo' pack bag is the same lay out as the icon. The meat shelf/compression between the pack bag thing smacks of Kuiu too.
I get what your saying about capitalism and all. But what those dudes are doing is down right cheap. Literally, it seems more a blatant rip off than the woobie express was to the mountain serape.

Also, not having owned one, from what I gather the MR shined with its larger pack bags. Thief load lifters were integrated high up so there was shoulder lift obtained. Still a pretty heavy bag empty.

Last edited by JoeH; 08/12/12.

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Heavans to Betsy! Just noticed the price, and they don't even come with wand pockets!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definelty looks like a Kuiu pack, I dont see any relation to a duplex frame. Not that it matters anyway. Let the product speak for it self and if it performs better than its inspiration then none of it should matter. Who knows how long this pack has been in development. We are all just sitting on computer looking at pictures. None of us have one in our hands and have used it.

Any backpack(any gear really)that comes out the K crowd will go on the defense and say it is a blatant rip off of Patrick Smiths designs. It does not matter what it is they will find something.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Oh, I don't know Brad...Kurt's obviously been on more than a few hardcore backpack hunts and undoubtedly knows what he does and doesn't like in a pack.

And this is his idea of a "correct" fit"... what a joke:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
it's nothing at all like Mystery Ranch's NICE no-load lifter design, which, in my estimation is a non-starter.

I wouldn't take a NICE pack for free... other than to sell it on ebay, so for me that's not much of a comparison.

The heart and sole of a pack is it's suspension... not sure how you can compare it with Kifaru's, which have a real, adjustable suspension with lumbar pad, not a wrap-around hipbelt design (which Kuiu lifted from Arcteryx, and which SUCKS on their packs too).

The wrap-around hipbelt design was abandoned in the early 80's by most makers because they just don't work all that well. That's why the young makers returning to that design amuse me to no end.

The Kifaru is light years ahead of this pack, Kuiu, or MR.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Joe,

I'm talking about the frame and overall suspension system, which is where the rubber meets the road. Pack bags are, well, bags...whose differences are largely superfluous.

Not that it matters, but I'm not sure how anyone can't see the uncanny resemblence to Kifaru's Duplex. You can toss the KUIU out since it's carbon flexy/breaky sheet is a not a stay supported platform that you can modify. At least the Storm Glacier's suspension system looks robust. Hopefully I'll be able to swing through Bozeman in a couple of weeks on my way to WY and take a closer look at them. 2.16 lbs. for the frame is very intriguing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Load lifters on a MR NICE frame??? They're non-existent.
[Linked Image]

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V

"The wrap-around hipbelt design was abandoned in the early 80's by most makers because they just don't work all that well. That's why the young makers returning to that design amuse me to no end."

Brad, I sincerely believe that it may not work for you and your body, but my McHale SCMII has a wrap around Critical Mass hipbelt that works wonderfully well for me and a lot of others. In fact Dan uses it on all of his heavy duty CM packs because of its load carrying ability.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The MR Nice frame was the most uncomftorble pack I have ever worn! That picture makes my shoulders hurt just remembering. Kifaru makes an awsome product, but it is cool to see any US company breaking in and even better if they are any good.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

Brad, I sincerely believe that it may not work for you and your body, but my McHale SCMII has a wrap around Critical Mass hipbelt that works wonderfully well for me and a lot of others. In fact Dan uses it on all of his heavy duty CM packs because of its load carrying ability.

I agree, but McHale's system is very different than other full wrap belts out there. You adjust your lumbar pressure from the inside of the pack, fine tuning it for the weight of the load. It is not a belt just bolted to a frame as Brad might be referring to like the Kuiu.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are no load lifters on the NICE frame if you use the Crew Cab like you have pictured. Now the 6500 does have load lifters. To compare a Duplex frame with load lifters to a NICE frame that has a pack on it with no load lifters is not a fair comparison. Compare it with one of the bags that has load lifters if you want a fair comparison.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right. But, again, I was referring to the frame & suspension system only. All MR had to do was build it into their NICE frame and they would have had an even better product.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
" was referring to the frame & suspension system only. All MR had to do was build it into their NICE frame and they would have had an even better product."

I have asked Seacat or MR why the won't and the answer is always it is perfect and we are not changing.

Good Shooting!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have heard the same as far as folks asking them why they didn't design their wildy expensive frame to be tall enough for the average human. Their pack bags look kinda neat though.

Alan,
I see some similarities between the duplex and glacier, but if you look at the 2012 Kuiu frame, there are even more that scream rip off. I think it's cool if someone can make a living off of something they love. To me its just cheap the way that they essentially removed the Kuiu logo, and slapped their own on there. Where the load lifters leave the frame and go to the shoulder straps does smack of Duplex, I will give you that. As well, the U shaped cut out behind the neck.
I know that aint a whole lot new out there these days. I get it. But the Kuiu pack bag layout was/is (at least in my experience) very different. Seems it was some strange hybrid pack in the sense of how it opens. Different enough to really stand out when someone else comes along and makes theres just like it. Their load shelf or whatever they call it, while a terrible idea I agree, is done by the Kuiu boys too. Any one thing 'borrowed' here or there is nothing. But the sum of those parts....well back in ole Leanna Tennessee, we would call Bullshit.

Last edited by JoeH; 08/12/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big_W
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

I agree, but McHale's system is very different than other full wrap belts out there. You adjust your lumbar pressure from the inside of the pack, fine tuning it for the weight of the load. It is not a belt just bolted to a frame as Brad might be referring to like the Kuiu.

Precisely.

But I'd still not get a McHale without the lumbar pad and two-piece belt.

Would add too, McHales one piece belt doesn't have the ridiculous rise in the rear either... you know the one that Kuiu and now Stone Glacier borrowed from Arcteryx... most bloody awful, painful belt I've ever used.

I'd go with a McHale over an MR, Kuiu, or Stone Glacier pack any day...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you polled 100 people and let them test 10 packs from 10 different manufacturers for extended lengths of time, you'd invariable get multiple users who prefer each of the 10 different packs. It always cracks me up to read people sitting in an internet forum who describe packs as being worthless, pieces of crp, etc...when it really just boiled down to it not being comfortable to them. Meanwhile, there are probably many thousands of users wearing that pack at the exact same time in the backcountry somewhere thinking, "man, I love this pack." I'm 100% sure that there are going to be people who love this pack, as well as people who are going to hate it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.