-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess if you're certain whatever you're using isn't harmful to the firearm, have at it. I'm always receptive to new and improved, but only if it's new and improved.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Crashbox
My own modified version of Ed's Red is what I use, consisting of John Deere Low-viscosity Hy-Gard ATF, MEK, kerosene, mineral spirits, toluene or xylene, some Lube Control LC-20, and about 1.5-2 ounces of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer per quart (for added lubricity and to use up my existing stock of it). It works for me.

Crashbox: Please do yourself a favor and not only don't breath the product but also don't get it on your skin. MEK is BAD stuff. When you mix all of the ingredients together, there is no telling what you are in for. Be safe.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You are right about MEK being bad stuff. At a place where I worked in the '70's, we used a lot of MEK. Once, there was an accident and several ounces of it got sprayed into my eyes. It was rather unpleasant and required a trip to the emergency room.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the warning. As I mentioned, I am aware of what I am handling, and yes, MEK and toluene are two real nasties to be around.

Those who are in the coatings industry thoroughly know it.

Cyclohexanone also has a moderate degree of toxicity.

I suppose I could use straight lacquer thinner and possibly achieve similar results; take a look at the ingredients of that stuff some day-

Ed's Red has been around for a long time, and is itself a modification of a formula from Frankford Arsenal mentioned in Hatcher's Notebook. I just wanted to see if I could improve on it, nothing more. I do have a fair number of chemicals on hand, probably a great deal more than the average citizen.

Last edited by Crashbox; 07/06/12.

If a label lacks a skull and crossed bones, the product cannot be very effective.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I agree on the Butch's. The eliminator seems to work very, very well. What do you consider "going a while" between shootings? This Tikka 695 seems to go 50 rounds or so. The HCR Rem 700 I'm not sure, I've just cleaned it every 30 or so so far. Up until very recently (it's new to me anyway), I've been trying to find an accurate load and finally have. It wouldn't hurt anything to apply the UBC anyway would it?

No, it won't hurt anything.

Firing 30-50 rounds between cleaning is alright, but my rifles have gone from 30-50 before DBC, to at least double that, and most of them maintain accuracy for hundreds of rounds after DBC.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience with DBC is the same as Jordan's. It won't affect accuracy, except for prolonging it between cleanings.
It at LEAST doubles the number of shots from any rifle before accuracy deteriorates, and more often extends the number 3-4 times, and sometimes even more. And then, when you do clean the bore, it takes noticeably less time, solvent and patches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This has been an interesting thread.

Most of the focus seems to be on removing copper along with carbon in rifle barrels.

Which of the current generation of solvents works best for a combo of lead and copper residue? I get that when shooting plated bullets out of a .357 Magnum rifle, and I'll bet handgun shooters deal with it too.

On a related note, it looks to me lke M-Pro7 creates surface rust if you leave it in the barrel for more than a few minutes.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a related note, it looks to me lke M-Pro7 creates surface rust if you leave it in the barrel for more than a few minutes.

Is this from first hand experience or do you have a source? And was it the M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner or Copper Remover that is supposed to cause surface rust? I ask because it's one I was thinking of trying in the no too distant future (I'm almost out of solvent).

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My own first hand experience with the M-Pro7 gun cleaner, but limited to a couple of observations. Point being, I'd have to do some careful testing before reaching my own conclusions, so I wanted to learn from others' experience. My most recent experience was running a couple of patches with M-Pro7 through the bore at the range, then cleaning at home after 20-30 minutes.

For now, I'm reluctant to leave it in very long, although it does have a good reputation as a solvent.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bore Tech Eliminator and Cu++ remover is the go .
Get your self some nickel plated jags and nylon brushes with a nickel core and you are good to go.
fast too!!!!

Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 08/06/12.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good info, I'll look for some Wipeout.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have been advised by a company that did some testing that adding the accelerant to Wipe-Out tends to etch bores.

The accelerant to Wipe-Out will do a "sweets" to your bore if you leave in in for any length of time.
One way to avoid a bad outcome is to mix accelerant and patch out on the same patch.Its faster than just patch out, and doesnt leave any nasty surprises.
I use the wipe out, patch out stuff all the time.
I always finish up with carb out from auto zone and then Kroil.Then dry patch.
Carb out will find stuff the others wont....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.