Campfire Member
.300 RUM?
I thought we were talking about hunting bear...,,......not ptarmigan. wink

Last edited by pricedo; 07/27/12.

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LOL, like that. I've only used the .300 for blackies in my neck of the woods, but in the beautiful last frontier for browns like I said H+H all the way. Like Garth Brooks sings I hunt deer in posted places....later

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pricedo
.300 RUM?
I thought we were talking about hunting bear...,,......not ptarmigan. wink

Ole Elmer couldn't have said it any better... laugh

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
STAINLESS RUGER WITH CANOE-PADDLE STOCK - .338 MAG - LEUPOLD OR BURRIS 1-4 SCOPE.

Terry

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
I am selling this for a friend. Weatherby mkV in 375 H&H, has been ported, McMillan stock, Leupold Vari=x 2.5 x8. Rifle weighs just short of 9 pounds on my scale.
This would probably be what I would take on a bear hunt if I had the oportunity!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
After having done an egregious amount of reading, I believe I have firmly decided on caliber. 358 Winchester - Gives excellent projectile weights and energy, sufficient killing power, some factory ammo, and easy re-sizing of 308 cases in the future. Also is a non-magnum caliber. Might have found my golden ticket

I guess this means the thread is over...

I'm happy that your original desire for an 8 1/2 to 9 lb. rifle, handling 350 to 400 yard shots was achieved. I'm positive you'll have easy access finding a plethora of varying factory loads for the Winny.

Good luck on the Brown Bear hunt. Remember to take lots of pictures and post them back here upon your return...

best,
bhtr

Nicely put, Mark.

LOL

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pricedo
Have several qualifiers:

1) Modified model 700 in .416 Remington Magnum with 21" barrel, Timney trigger and Williams aperture sight.
2) Savage model 116 "Alaskan Brush Hunter" in .375 RUM with 18" barrel and 3-9x40mm Leupold Rifleman scope mounted with Warne QD mounts so the excellent iron sights can be accessed in seconds.
3) Marlin model 1895G "Guide Gun" in .45-70 GVT with X/S sighting system and 2-7x33mm Leupold Rifleman scope mounted with Warne QD mounts so the excellent iron sights can be accessed in seconds..
4) Marlin model 1895GS "Guide Gun" in .45-70 GVT with pretty decent factory sights and 2-7x33mm Leupold Rifleman scope mounted with Warne QD mounts so the pretty decent iron sights can be accessed in seconds.

When seconds count, Police is minutes away...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking wood there! Is that an Accuracy Innovations wood stock? Checkering looks familiar.

A lot of folks mention the H&H, especially given its history. Guess I just want to be different. Tis quite helpful to get the input of everyone here. Thanks again

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not wood, just nice grain in that plastic! smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks, Carl.

Ein Troll, den dieser Mann ist. wink

Mark

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
After having done an egregious amount of reading, I believe I have firmly decided on caliber. 358 Winchester - Gives excellent projectile weights and energy, sufficient killing power, some factory ammo, and easy re-sizing of 308 cases in the future. Also is a non-magnum caliber. Might have found my golden ticket

I guess this means the thread is over...

best,
bhtr

Bwahahaha!

As if a conclusion matters..........

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, Carl.

Ein Troll, den dieser Mann ist. wink

Mark

For the Love of God, speak English! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bitte, mein Herr, haben Sie ein Streichholz?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Carl,

A very nice pun...
well done sir smile

The old time answer used to be - "Not since Superman died!" smile

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
A great discussion. I love to hear from the old Sourdoughs and references to ivory hunters. I used to work in SE on the mainland once in a while and saw bears everyday. It is humorous to think back on my first trip in about 1980 carrying a Ruger .44 mag and running into a set of tracks the size of a dinner plate with water oozing back into them, surrounded by thick alders and salmon with claw marks in them.

I carried rifles after that using what I had, a Ruger .270, then a .444 Marlin and later a Model 71 in .348 that I got from my great uncle Merrill of Granger, WY.

I agree about shot placement and practice. The worst scenario is a nimrod that borrows a gun that he is afraid of and doesn't take the time to learn to shoot it. Native Alaskans are notorious for being under gunned. They "shoot em in the ear, and follow them until they drop."

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ppine
Gentlemen,
A great discussion. I love to hear from the old Sourdoughs and references to ivory hunters. I used to work in SE on the mainland once in a while and saw bears everyday. It is humorous to think back on my first trip in about 1980 carrying a Ruger .44 mag and running into a set of tracks the size of a dinner plate with water oozing back into them, surrounded by thick alders and salmon with claw marks in them.

I carried rifles after that using what I had, a Ruger .270, then a .444 Marlin and later a Model 71 in .348 that I got from my great uncle Merrill of Granger, WY.

I agree about shot placement and practice. The worst scenario is a nimrod that borrows a gun that he is afraid of and doesn't take the time to learn to shoot it. Native Alaskans are notorious for being under gunned. They "shoot em in the ear, and follow them until they drop."

Everyone talks trash from an armchair,shooting an animal in the "Ear" is great,but most of us Cheechakos would rather have it dead,Old Timer told me killing a huge Brownie is easy,stopping it is an altogether matter.Might be something to think about................

Enlisted Men are Stupid, but Extremely Sly and Cunning, and bear Considerable Watching.

US Army Officers Manual of 1894
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sandrat,
It ain't trash if you've been there.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 41 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.