Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Thanks for the heads-up. My TV is only hooked up to a DVD player. After my last dish contract expired, I decided that with the time I have to watch the tube, it makes more sense to spend a fraction of the monthly programming costs on DVD box sets. No commercials, no DVR, and I own the show for future viewing. The obvious down side is that I'm always 6-9 months behind in the plot, but I've gotten used to that. smile

There ya go. We did got tired of paying for 148 channels we didn't watch along with the 2 we did years ago and just turned the accursed dish off. Boxed sets are cheap by comparison.

We did fall of the wagon a bit recently - bought a Roku & pay $8 a month for Netflix.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Looks very old school, like an old open top competition holster from back in the day; like an Ernie Hill or a something similar. Basically it�s kind of an Askin�s Avenger without the reinforcement strip at the top.

I like that he carries Condition 2. Most don�t remember when that was considered THE way to carry a 1911. Goes with the character of Longmire; he�s old school.

I didn't realize this. While it may fit... Man, that makes me like it less.
What? The Condition 2 thing? What's the big friggin deal?

I don't contest that it was used, but it's not only less safe than cocked and locked because the hammer's on the firing pin (and you have to manually drop it anyway), but also slow. I'd actually say it's worse than condition three. At least that motion to make ready is intuitive -- not that I'd ever do that unless I ended up carrying a Tokarev, or something. laugh

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, if you carry your pistol with the hammer at full cock, you take away the very valid points you can make with a miscreant when you screw it up their nostril and then thumb cock your piece.

(In Hollywood.)

wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Well, if you carry your pistol with the hammer at full cock, you take away the very valid points you can make with a miscreant when you screw it up their nostril and then thumb cock your piece.

(In Hollywood.)

wink

That's okay beccause in Hollywood, they got the sound effects guys to make the sound for them. Kinda like how they do it with Glocks every time they raise the pistol up on screen. laugh

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

(In Hollywood.)

wink

That's okay beccause in Hollywood, they got the sound effects guys to make the sound for them. Kinda like how they do it with Glocks every time they raise the pistol up on screen. laugh

+1
I mean really, he doesn't even carry a cellphone. I guess it fits!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
I don't contest that it was used, but it's not only less safe than cocked and locked because the hammer's on the firing pin (and you have to manually drop it anyway), but also slow. I'd actually say it's worse than condition three. At least that motion to make ready is intuitive -- not that I'd ever do that unless I ended up carrying a Tokarev, or something. laugh

The firing pin is rebounding, so with the hammer resting all the way forward there�s no way to set off a round when it�s forward. I agree that condition 1 is safer, but I don�t consider condition 2 unsafe provided someone knows how to lower a hammer. I�ve been lowering hammers on loaded chambers since I was about 6 years old and have NEVER had a single ND; ever. It all comes down to the competency of the shooter.

As for fast, no doubt it�s slower. But I was first taught by an old condition 2 guy and he taught me how to be pretty darned fast out of the holster in condition 2, so it�s not slow by any means. Like most things, it always comes down to the individual. I remember reading where Bill Jordan�s holster would stay snapped (this is way before the days of thumb snaps) until he felt a need to unsnap it (presumably as his spider sense knew the threat level was increasing); seemed to work just fine for him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Looks very old school, like an old open top competition holster from back in the day; like an Ernie Hill or a something similar. Basically it�s kind of an Askin�s Avenger without the reinforcement strip at the top.

I like that he carries Condition 2. Most don�t remember when that was considered THE way to carry a 1911. Goes with the character of Longmire; he�s old school.

I agree, with the Askins Avenger. Great holster, my favorite carry holster.

Isn't the Askins Avenger a belt holster? I'm quite certain that in the last or second to the last episode, the sheriff received a hurry-up call and grabbed his holstered 1911 from the side table and clipped it to his waistband, paddle style.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I musta missed that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wouldn't be surprising for the prop guys to give him 2 or 3 different holsters depending on the scene's demands. I swear that is the case with Mark Harmon on NCIS.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Wouldn't be surprising for the prop guys to give him 2 or 3 different holsters depending on the scene's demands. I swear that is the case with Mark Harmon on NCIS.

That possibility crossed my mind, too.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.