Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Let's just say I've gotten mixed results. Some have shot very well and others haven't. Performance on game has been very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB, results on game shot by you are not relevant due to your great shot placement. So performance on game is inconclusive! Lol.

Just kidding. I have not heard so many good things on the Hornady IBs, not all bad, just not stellar either. Amax, Interlock solid when used as should, and pretty decent reports on GMX.

For a bonded bullet I REALLY like Accubonds, but would run Speer hot core if pressed...the 130 in 7mm is proven well I know. Hear good things on Fed Fusions for deer fwiw.

There are other bonded bullets proven afield, mixed reports on accuracy though w/some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the subject of the Fusions, and by extension, the Deep Curl. And I apologise if its above in the thread, but haven't the time to re-read it all I am sorry.

Some of the literature around talks about them being bonded, with the jacket molecularly bonded to the core or similar.

I have to ask, are they a bonded bullet in the sense of the more common variety, and can they be expected to perform the same way?

I don't have much need for bonded bullets at the price they charge, but the Deep Curl is cup and core pricing. I would certainly give them a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need certainly depends on game hunted, impact speed, and shot placement. Lung shots, often not needed, shoulder or angling shots, perhaps much more so.

Cup/Core - unbonded certainly have taken ALOT of game. They can and will be effective in many situations. I see bonded giving one some 'insurance' - and price hike or not, the #'s of bullets fired ON game animals pales in comparison to practice shots IME...unfortunately! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes well put. For the once in a year hunt I have no probs forking out a buck or more per bullet. That's a good point.

But for things like feral pigs and goats, and smaller deer, it would be interesting to know if a bullet like the Deep Curl could do that run of the mill type game, be your practice bullet and also do the biz on the raking shots for large deer like reds and sambar.

I suspect that expectation might be hard to achieve.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Yes well put. For the once in a year hunt I have no probs forking out a buck or more per bullet. That's a good point.

But for things like feral pigs and goats, and smaller deer, it would be interesting to know if a bullet like the Deep Curl could do that run of the mill type game, be your practice bullet and also do the biz on the raking shots for large deer like reds and sambar.

I suspect that expectation might be hard to achieve.

I shoot premiums for elk and Hornady SPILs and BTSPILs for everything else.

Regarding "big" stuff with Fusions/Deep Curls, you definitely want to revert to the old non-premium rules; use heavy bullets and don't push them too hard. I'd shoot an elk or sambar with a Fusion/Deep Curl .308 180 at 2700.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 08/25/12.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guys, I have looked and looked...no luck finding this article. Can someone post a link?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
"Within the structural limits of a given bullet, the lower the impact velocity the less penetration and expansion, and the higher the velocity the more penetration and expansion"

Less velocity = Less Penetration. Really?

yeah, i caught that too, tell that to my .45/70

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ron I think you missed the point of the first part of the statement.

"Within the structural limits of a given bullet..."

So essentially he is saying a bullet from your .45-70 will penetrate less at one velocity than the same bullet at a higher velocity. Its hard to disagree with that statement.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I know this is an older thread, but time has passed with some of these bullets, and I have managed some paper, sand bag and game testing that I believe is relevant to help answer some questions. Firstly, Fusions and Deepcurls. I have shot these both to some extent in three cartridges now and have to say it is one of the most consistently accurate hunting bullets I have ever played with. I have literally shot over 200 130gr Fusion Factory rounds through 4 different .270 WCFs and its boring. 3/4-1" three shot triangles the norm. One rebarreled Remington (used a take off triangle barrel onto a browns precision stocked 30-06 that was shot out) shot quite a few 1/2 MOA groups at 200yds. That load killed a 48" Canadian moose for me 2 years ago.
The .300 WSM in dealt with for a friend was a consistent 3/4 MOA gun after I bedded and free floated his featherweight stock. I bought two boxes of 180gr Fusions and used one box verifying impacts with his Burris FFII. My group at 300 was 2 1/4" high for the reticle junction. Bingo. It's slayed and elk, two mule deer and a Saskatchewan whitetail. It broke the shoulders on the 6 point bull at 150ish yards as I recall too.
The .280AI I have loves the 160gr Deepcurls over 60.5gr of RL22. It clocks 3030fps with very little deviation (like 5-7 fps which is unusual for RL22). I have shot roughly 40 at paper to discover drops out to 400, and the BC is pretty close to advertised. I've shot 1/2MOA groups with the 2.5-8 out to 300yds (I can shoot that tight at 400 with 8x I guess :))
I then used this load on my biggest black bear (he's a pig!). He was facing me, slightly quartering to his right and I planted it through his shoulder. It smashed that shoulder, 4" of spine and ended up stopping just ahead of the offside hind in the backstrap. Over 3 feet of penetration through heavy bone and the recovered bullet looked to have 50-60% of its weight and my leather man said .5" expansion. The impact was 212yds. I'm 6'4" and 240lbs for reference.
This performance gives me the confidence to say that it is the best bullet for the dollar spent on the market. Understanding bonding and such in the manner that John explained it in this article is required to make a confident decision on what you want to shoot at what.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rem338win; 09/22/13.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
N
N
I think mule deer is the best writer in the business. After all my reading and getting a little wiser with age I have concluded anything I am likely to ever shoot at again will be deer and elk. 270 with 130 ballistic tips will handle any deer and my 06 with 180 gr partitions for elk. If I ever find I need to take a 500 yard shot at an elk, I'll probably just pass and be content with going to a restaurant that night. Paraphrasing a bit here but it's so true, beware the guy with a well worn single rifle. I have owned them all but find little real difference in killing power if your honest about your personal limits and ability given the overwhelming majority of hunters have very little time to actually learn to handle all the whiz bang marketing guns available.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the article, thanks. After reading some of the comments about it, I wonder why the deer and pigs I've killed with one 100gr .243 Win. Power-Point don't suddenly spring back to life. I love the 210gr. NP out of my .338-06 and TSX bullet in my 7-08. Of course with CA going totally lead-free in a few years, I'm going to have to learn to love them in everything.

My conclusion(s):

1) F'ing hateful people
2) F'ing California
3) F'ing Internet
4) F George Soros for closing the Bonded Bullet Convention
5) F Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer and George Miller
6) F Obama
7) F Obamacare
8) F liberals
9) F A few others whose name's elude me now!
grin

Last edited by kevinh1157; 12/07/13.

Kevin Haile
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
How can I read this article

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a link to all of them. Bonded Bullets is the November 2011 one.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.