Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My first boat paddle stock, home to a blued .300WM, looked like that. Right away I called Ruger and ordered the Zytel inserts and the proper (different) screws for them. Much better!

Originally Posted by Butler247
You wouldn't happen to stil have them would you?

Nope. Gave them away for free and paid the shipping, too. (Felt like they deserved a good home...)

The panels are fairly thin and I was concerned they would eventually crack and be irreplaceable. No such worries with the Zytel.

Here's the .300WM, on top. The bottom rifle is the stainless .30-06 shown in a previous post.
[Linked Image]

The .30-06 came in a nice nutmeg laminate stock as shown below. The other two rifles in the picture are my Ruger MKII and Remington M700 .30-06s. The boat paddle stock and the Ruger MKII action became the .338 WM shown previously.
[Linked Image]

The boat paddle stocks may not be works of beauty but they are very functional - fairly light, impervious to weather, nearly indestructible, scratches and dings don't cause me angst, and every rifle I have in one shoots great.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have purchased two in 260. The first printed 2.5 in or larger groups. The barrel channel was fairly open, but there is a pressure pad near the front of the stock.

I floated the barrel and glassed in the action....no change.

I sent the rifle in to Ruger and had the stock replaced with a factory laminate. It also had a pressure pad near the front of the stock. The rifle still grouped as badly as before the stock replacement.

I sanded out the pressure pad and glassed in the action.....no change, unless you count the fact that the groups moved down more than six inches on the target.

The second rifle, identical to the first, shot slightly better. I installed the glassed and floated stock onto the second rifle. It did not help it any either.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have purchased two in 260. The first printed 2.5 in or larger groups. The barrel channel was fairly open, but there is a pressure pad near the front of the stock.

I floated the barrel and glassed in the action....no change.

I sent the rifle in to Ruger and had the stock replaced with a factory laminate. It also had a pressure pad near the front of the stock. The rifle still grouped as badly as before the stock replacement.

I sanded out the pressure pad and glassed in the action.....no change, unless you count the fact that the groups moved down more than six inches on the target.

The second rifle, identical to the first, shot slightly better. I installed the glassed and floated stock onto the second rifle. It did not help it any either.

sounds like you just had a bad barrel,...shoulda asked Ruger to rebarrel it. I've heard that 260's, or anythhing in 6.5 is a one holer just cuz of the great .264" bullets..:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Ruger said the barrel "met their standards".

One of these days, when the coin is available, it will go to Pac-nor. I just have to decide which flavor it will come home as, I am not as enamored of the 260 as I expected to be.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Ruger said the barrel "met their standards".

One of these days, when the coin is available, it will go to Pac-nor. I just have to decide which flavor it will come home as, I am not as enamored of the 260 as I expected to be.

good plan,....consider a 7mm-08

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still miss the old stainless boat paddle Ruger 270 WIN.
I had years ago.The best beat the he!! out of it deer gun
I EVER owned.
I would like to find a factory boat paddle stock that would fit my Ruger RSI 77 Stainless 7mm-08.The Mannlicher stock is nice to look at but not very practical for hunting here in WET Alabama.
AMRA

Last edited by AMRA; 08/26/12.

Molan Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Yup, I have a 260 I put in factory wood and like the look very much. I just screwed it in and added a set of ruger mounts with a m8 6x on it and it shoots factory 7/8 in. as is. What's not to love?

I did the same thing with mine, shoots under MOA.
Is one of my favorite rifles now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.