Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Leica. Swarvo Z6, S&B, and Zeiss Victory. They are all great. But to me the Leica has too fine of X-hairs. Word to the wise also if you do buy a Leica send in your warranty card and keep a record. They gave me a hard time when I sent in my bino's about it when I did fill it out. I had to call Doug at Cameraland to go back and fax them my receipt. I sold my binos and went to swarvo's just because of the customer service. Out of all my scope I really like the Z6 better than all. I just love their plex cross hairs seem just right. Anyone want to buy a Leica scope??????

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of the newer leicas with elevation turrets. They are repeatable and the glass is great. I do not think I have used either to get past 1100 yards but I think they are great little optics. I like the compact size.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Arac and EddyBo offer some encouraging experiences here. I will watch the reviews on these scopes as they become available. For now, I am very happy with the 2.5-10 Nightforce I am using on my elk rifle. I've done a fair bit of shooting with it this summer, and now am doing some marmot hunting. Resolution, clarity, contrast, etc, has proved to be excellent, or at least "good enough" for kill shots out to 600 yards on these little critters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I can't kill it with a Leupold, Conquest, or Elite, I need to Indian closer. That's just me.

I do love the view and reticles on many of the Alpha models, S&B and NF, etc.

If a scope is reliable and repeatable it's a good aiming device for me. Given the choice for one or the other, I'd opt to pay my big $$$ on Alpha Bino's......currently running Katmai 6x for what I do, and Yosemites I keep around for loaners.

I'd expect Leica to not put out a product until thoroughly tested to their standards. New are all made in house per Shot show when introduced. I'd expect them to be durable, but between the two, S&B has been around a long time in scopes, and that would weigh in for me.

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried to find a Leica with the target turrets and nobody had them in stock and I was told they are discontinued. The S&B was really appealing, but I wanted the 50mm obj lens much more than the 42mm; as I mentioned the former would not fit on my rifle.

So I ended up buying none of the above. I never really thought of the VX6, but noticed JB said the low light performance was very good. After taking a boo at the VX6 side by side with the Z6, I felt it was an option I should consider. The local gun shop then gave me a great price on the VX6 so it came home with me.

I have to say it looks really good. I checked it out in very low light in my back yard and it did well. I'll mount it after my deer hunting trip and post a review.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious, what made you decide on the choices you have for models, vs. a mid priced scope?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first place i looked, Midway USA has the Leica with TT.

So do several other places. Where did you look?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
An observation or two...

1. Leica is new at manufacturing their own scopes. Schmidt Bender has 50 years plus of experience...

2. I have been a Leicaphile in years past. Two Ultravids, two trinovids, an APO 77mm Televid, and various range finders. ALL bought under Leica's former PASSPORT Warranty Service. Had an Ultravid that went tits up and they told me 4-6 months on the fix. Went through Doug and they made it two weeks...

3. THEY ACTIVELY tried to remove my PASSPORT Warranty Support by issuing new cards. I had to come close to pulling fingernails to get them reissued.

Leica no longer offers Lifetime Warranties. They have a 10 year warranty... Not getting it done in my book for that kind of investment. Further I was UNIMPRESSED with Leica USA. Great product with so so support...

I've bought my last Leica Product.

fwiw & imho.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Are they able to export scopes to Canada?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to see you around Matt.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Good to see you around Matt.

dave

Dittos

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own a Leica 3.5-14 with the #1 (post) reticle. Excellent low light scope with the bold post. Optically amazing. Has held up to around 100 rounds of 7STW on a pretty lightweight Rem 700.

The Leica and my Z5 3.5-18 Swaro w/ the plex reticle are optically indistinguishable, but I like the Swaro's plex a little better for all-around elk hunting.

I've only seen the S&B in stores, I'm sure its excellent.

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I contacted two well known shops here in Canada. They didn't have them in stock and so they called the importer, who told them the TT versions are discontinued and have none available.

Originally Posted by 65BR
Curious, what made you decide on the choices you have for models, vs. a mid priced scope?

What do you mean by mid priced scopes? Like a Bushnell Elite or something like that? The Zeiss Conquest costs only a little less than what I paid for the VX-6.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia

Leica no longer offers Lifetime Warranties. They have a 10 year warranty... Not getting it done in my book for that kind of investment. Further I was UNIMPRESSED with Leica USA. Great product with so so support...

In Europe all the big Optics players have gone to a 10 year warranty due apparently to excessive European red tape concerning what constitutes a Life Time Warranty.

When I spoke to a Swaro rep a couple of years back about the change, his reply was along the lines of: "Don't worry, we will carry on as before, but we can no longer put in writing"

From your statement, it looks like Leica have extended this policy "across the board" which I suspect will be a marketing disaster in the UK.

As far as I am aware, of the major European optics company's, Meopta now offers the longest warranty in Europe and that is 15 years, which it has been for as long as I remember.

That said, Falcon in the UK are offering a Limited Lifetime Warranty, but I have not read the fine print to see exactly what this entails..

Regards,

Peter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I own both the Leica is great but you can look into your soul with the S&B

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Arac
I am buying another scope, and this time the choice is between the S&B Klassik 3-12x42 and the Leica ER 3.5-14x42

Again, I cannot look at the scopes side by side to compare them as nobody anywhere near me has either.

The S&B is a known - there will be no question about the quality. What about the Leica? It is relatively new to the market. The price is not a factor - the S&B is $50 more.

Send the Leica in for service like a friend has back in August and he still has not recieved it.

Schmidt is out of this world good

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.