Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
R
OP Offline
R
First time post. I am going hiking on the Appalachian Trail in 2 weeks, and wondering what some thoughts are on loads and guns for carrying along. I have a Smith 21 .44 Spl and a Smith 57 .41 Mag. I also have a Super Redhawk .480, but I am not considering it (too big and heavy). There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar. More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail. I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it. No gun in the world would have helped them, but I am still taking one. I went back and re-read some old articles by Brian Pearce, and I am looking for opinions on which caliber and whether to go with some of the hot Buffalo Bore hard cast loads or something like the Hornady XTP loads. I also have my eye on one of the Ruger Blackhawks .44 Spl built on the .357 frame. ( I am basically just looking for a reason to buy it, it seems it would be less bulky to carry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
8 grs Unique 210 grs SWC for your 41 Mag M57 1100-1200fps depending on barrel length. Good DA load and still plenty a power. Magnum Man

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I dont think you need to worry about mt lion either smile

what you mentioned with any ammo will be fine, although a 22 rimfire wouuld be some entertainment.

the little "judge" is fairly popular or the above with some snake shot may come in handy?

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
its a little late to suggest buying a new gun.. but this is my answer to your question.

[Linked Image]

12 oz 357, I carry a full power 158g load in it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by raverym14
First time post. I am going hiking on the Appalachian Trail in 2 weeks, and wondering what some thoughts are on loads and guns for carrying along. I have a Smith 21 .44 Spl and a Smith 57 .41 Mag. I also have a Super Redhawk .480, but I am not considering it (too big and heavy). There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar. More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail. I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it. No gun in the world would have helped them, but I am still taking one. I went back and re-read some old articles by Brian Pearce, and I am looking for opinions on which caliber and whether to go with some of the hot Buffalo Bore hard cast loads or something like the Hornady XTP loads. I also have my eye on one of the Ruger Blackhawks .44 Spl built on the .357 frame. ( I am basically just looking for a reason to buy it, it seems it would be less bulky to carry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glock 20 (10mm Auto) or Glock 22 (40 S&W) would my choice of a trail revolver. smile

If you really want to limit how many rounds you've got, get a Kahr P45. Light as a feather, 6+1 of .45 ACP, and a trigger very similar to a DA revolver pull.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Either of your S&W's would be perfect but for a self-defense gun I would take the .44 Special. Plenty of oomph for small blackies & cougars and the lower recoil makes it more controllable if you need to engage anything with two legs.

I would urge you not carry a SA revolver for self-defense. Learn to use one of your DA revolvers accurately (read that as "practice"). In fact, I would carry the S&W that has the DA pull that feels best to you. You also need to put a good number of rounds thru it in DA firing to make sure the main spring tension hasn't been unduly messed with. I have a S&W .357 that was perfect in SA firing but would misfire about 1in 6 in while shooting DA because of light primer strikes.

You also need to make sure the loads you carry will fall out of the chamber. A defensive situation is no time for sticky extraction...ya, and make sure the cylinder is kept clean as well...for the same reason.

Lastly, spend a LOT of time doing dry fire practice so you have the feel of the DA etched into your brain and trigger finger. Most S&W revolvers have a DA pull that if you practice enough can be shot DA but in a manner that is very much like shooting SA. Find an old timer PD who had to carry an S&W that was department modified to shoot "DA-only" and he can show you. There is a point in the DA stroke that the cylinder has fully rotated and "locked" but the hammer hasn't fallen. When learned, you can pull the trigger DA and hold the hammer for a single action feel release...and brought to bear very quckly. Learn to shoot this way and you won't ever need to shoot SA again...or want to.

Last edited by PastorDan; 09/03/12.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would take which ever one is lighter. Load the .44 with a 240-250 grain hard cast SWC and the .41 with a 210-220 grain of the same design. Push either bullet to 950-1000 fps and you will be well protected from 2 or 4 legged threats. Never turn your back to anyone you run into in the back country, no matter how friendly they appear. Have fun!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many of the people who've responded so far have actually shot a black bear, mountain lion or 2-legged varmint with their choice of "hiking revolver"?

Just curious, partly because of all the threads on the the perfect deer/elk/Cape buffalo/mongoose cartridge or bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&W 642 38 Special with Crimson Trace grips.

Although a Ruger SR22 in 22 LR would have 10 plus an extra mag.

I doubt the bears will be impressed with either, but the bandits will.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Even though I've hiked in bear and mountain lion country, the only dangerous animals that I've encountered on the trail were vicious dogs and rattle snakes. It doesn't take that much power to dispatch a dog if you can shoot accurately.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MD,

I've plinked at a few "two legged varmints" but it was not with my hiking revolver, and it wasn't in this country, and it for damn sure wasn't "camping." I carry a Glock 32 in 357 Sig sometimes when hiking, but it's heavy and I don't know if it'd do much on bears or lions if I encounter one.

The AT is a LONG hike and I'm not sure anything other than bear pepper spray is required for any of the circumstances in the OP's original question.

But, he asked about revolvers.

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/03/12.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What pistol do you own now?

If your not familiar with any sidearm then the simplest to operate is a medium framed revolver loaded with factory .38 Special Jacketed Hollow Point bullets.

If your intent is to buy one I'd suggest you consider a used Ruger SP101 with a three inch barrel chambered for .38 Special or 357 Magnum.

To answer John Barsnes's question. I've never shot a human and hope that I never need to. Nor have I ever pointed a weapon at someone. I consider a concealed weapon an indispensible tool if I ever need one.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/03/12.
R
OP Offline
R
I appreciate all the input. I have considered an SP101 for quite some time now, I just never bought one. I have never owned a 357, but I have used a Smith Model 65 extensively years ago and I enjoyed shooting that. I normally carry a 1911 in 45 acp loaded with XTP's. I occasionally have need to carry a Beretta 84 in 380 and a a SIG P238 as backup, both loaded with XTP's. I am fairly proficient with all my guns, semi's and revolvers, or I would not be around go on a hiking trip to celebrate my 10 year anniversary. I HAVE had the misfortune of dispatching two legged rats both with an M14 and a 1911, in several different s#%@hole countries. The .44 Spl and 45 acp are pretty identical power wise in my book with similar loadings, and I know first hand what a 45 will do to a man. I was mainly wondering whether the loads I would use to stop a man (XTP's, Hydra-Shoks, etc) would provide enough penetration on a bear, even if it is relatively small compared to the bears out west, or to go with the hotter hard cast bullets. I am not much of a hunter, but everything I read leads me to believe that pound for pound, some animals can take a lot more than people. Again, thank you all.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
How about that new Ruger SP 100? The five shot, 4 inch "kit gun". Take a few snake shot, a few 38's and a few full power 357's and hit the trail.

If I had to choose from what I have it would be my Taurus 44 mag tracker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
enjoy your trip and leave your heavy metal at home... a portable motion detector available for ~ $20 should let you sleep well...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

I figured you might be one of those who'd shot at one of the varmints mentioned.

My question wasn't directed at those with actual experience. Few of us have had to fend off any of the three large varmints mentioned in the original post. I certainly haven't, but the majority still offered firm opinions. Was just wondering about their experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by raverym14

As a guy that backpacks on occasion, I highly recommend you carry whatever weighs the least.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed deer, grouse, snakes, and porcupines with 45 ACP, 38 Special, and .22 Rimfire revolvers on the trail during my 35 years of hiking and woods rambling.

I killed a mountain lion with a 300 Weatherby once, and was glad to have such a powerful arm, but I have tried to stalk them since then carrying a 220 Swift, and would do it with a 22 Magnum lever action rifle, but not a 38 Revolver.

My experience has me carrying a light rifle more often these days. T/C Carbines can be built as light as 44 ounces in 35 Remington, a serious cartridge for any of the mentioned purposes.

Most of my hiking is in the Siskiyous Mountains, and the nearby Marbles and Trinitys.

On long hikes I often carry my Taurus Ultra light Model 85 38 Special. The reason is because weight becomes burdensome on long hikes.

For day hikes I like my Model 625 in 460 Rowland, I loaded a pile of Speer shot capsules up with number 12 shot years ago, and one of them travels in the number one position. Number 12 is the bomb on snakes.

I think the next trail gun I buy will be a Kel-Tec PMR-30 in 22 Magnum. Then I wouldn't have to carry any extra ammo.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Travis said.

I'm in the mid fifties and everything weighs more after mile ten.

The thing I learned "down range" was that everything is too #%^*in' heavy, even for the young Soldiers and Marines.

Pepper spray works on all concerned and involves less paperwork when effectively employed, I'm told.

I'd hate to have to know how you'd advise the police and what you'd have to do to demonstrate fear of injury.

Also, check the gun laws along the route. Some ain't friendly.

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/03/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i normally carry a 38 special airweight in non grizzly country with a couple of shot cartridges included for rattlesnakes

or if i think i might need better accuracy i go with my walther pp 32 auto. it's a bit heavier

or in grizzly country i don't leave home without my ruger super blackhawk 44 magnum with hardcast 300 grain bullets

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.