Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I looked back several years to see if anyone has posted about this rifle. I apologize if I missed it.
Marlin 45/70 Cowboy 26" octagon barrel. I have not purchased a rifle in a long time and I would like to get a big bore I like the classic old look and the octagon barrel fits that for me. I know about the Shilo Sharps but I would like a repeater not a single shot.
What is your take on this rifle Pro's and Con's
Or are there other options for me out there.
I appreciate any input thanks.

GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The one I have is an excellent rifle, very accurate with several loads both factory and hand loads, jacketed and cast bullets. It came out of the box working smoothly with an acceptable trigger so I have'nt done any tuning or tweaking on the operating mechanics. The stock is pretty plain would have liked a little more grain in the wood but every one of these rifles I've seen were kind of plain. Even with the 26 inch octagon barrel it is surprisingly light and handles well. The only complaints I had was the hard plastic buttplate was slick and allowed the stock to move around especially with heavy loads. Replaced it with a thin rubber buttplate problem solved with no stock cutting. When shooting heavy loads with my fingers inside the lever loop recoil would slam the lever into my fingers and cause the action to unlock. A slight modification of my shooting style solved that. Have never mounted a scope only used the factory sights probably not optimum but they work well with alittle practice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had one of these for about 8 or 9 years and love it. I handload for it and have stayed with smokeless, for the most part, and a wheel weight cast 405 gr bullet. Shoots well and, as qbd said above, have found no need to replace the factory barrel sights. The lever can cause some discomfort when shooting heavier loads, but there is really no reason I have found to shoot the heavy loads - it shoots well for me in the 1500 to 1800 fps range. Get the rifle, you'll like it . . . then you can save up for a Sharps wink.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
F
F
I've had mine for a little over eight years now and have taken deer and hogs with it. I put a Williams WDOS rear sight on it as I prefer the small "V" notch blade that's available and I'm considering a tang sight. The only other thing that I changed was the stock finish. The first time that I hunted with it in the rain, the stock spotted badly and it bugged me. I stripped it down and put an oil finish on it and it looks great even when wet. When I first got it, I was casting some hard 405gr gas checked bullets that were stepping out at 2000fps. The rifle didn't mind at all but my shoulder complained. I've since backed down to a 405gr hollow based bullet at 1500fps and still have never recovered a bullet. I've tried at least half a dozen different cast and jacketed bullets in mine and it has been accurate with all of them. The only complaint that I might air is that it get's a little heavy if I do a lot of hiking with it. That's why I'm shopping for another 1895 in a guide length rifle.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The marlin 45-70s are all really nice.

I'd love to take a Cowboy and have the bbl/mag cut to 20", and put a decelerator recoil pad on it.

I had a standard 1895 way back when, gave it away to a friend. In recent times I picked up an 1895 GBL.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I do like the marlins I have a 22 , 44 spl/mag and a 3030
Thanks for all of the info. as soon as I get paid for a job I did two months ago I think that I am going the order the 45/70. I just need to think about how I want it and try to do the special order thing. I am thinking about putting some kind of long range sight on it (not a scope) I would like to keep the traditional look for it. What would you guy's suggest.

Thanks again for all of the info.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
They're great rifles but tough to find. If you do run across one, pick it up and don't let it go.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Prime example......here's auction with an hour left on a NIB Marlin 45-70 Cowboy and it's sittin' at $1125! GB auction

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I called my gun dealer yesterday and he told me that they are still making them but they are back order. He told me that he can get me one for $760.00 plus all of the Cali. crap and I will have to weight for it. I am expecting a big check to come in and when it does I am seriously considering ordering a new one and weighting for it.
I have been reading the big bore forum here and think that this my be my best bet to enter into a big bore.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
FWIW - I probably wouldn't buy one of the new Remington-made Marlin rifles - and DEFINITELY wouldn't buy one sight unseen because they've had a ton of issues getting the fit right on these guns.

If I were you, I would hunt a real Marlin down and even pay a little premium for it if I had to. If you absolutely can't find one that doesn't cost you and arm and a leg, I MIGHT consider one of the new ones if the fit/finish was perfect and they were getting positive reviews from happy users.....

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don't believe that Remington has made ANY of the Cowboy series Marlins. I might be wrong but I have not seen one, or heard about anyone else having one.

These are fantastic rifles, it is amazing that a rifle with such a long barrel can be so light and perfectly balanced.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in any city on earth" ... Steve McQueen
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And kick like a f'ing mule. I had one, nice but kicked real bad. I had to get a real tall front sight for mine when I used heavy slugs, although I did put a peep sight on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't had mine out of the safe in a while, just dug it out to apply a bit of oil, been a bit humid here lately. I like older Marlins, but this one filled a niche that needed filling. Dont like the crossbolt safety much, put a sourdough blade and peeps on it for steel matches and its accurate. Ballard rifleing, 405gr HB Lee, 20to1 alloy, 3031 and its good to go. The rams dont argue at all....

NRA Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.