-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Other than physically handling a gun how do you determine the proper LOP ? Also am i measuring it right,from the trigger to the shallowest point of the butt pad ?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you mean your LOP or a weapons?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Do you mean your LOP or a weapons?

I mean how do you know the rifles LOP fits you right

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A rifle's fit is not as critical as a shotgun, unless you will be shooting the rifle...well, like a shotgun.

To put it simply, you should be able to shoulder your weapon with your eyes closed and find it pointing exactly where you want it, without making adjustments, when you open your eyes.

Of course, there are people who make a lot of money "fitting" guns for people, but it's not exactly rocket science.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff Cooper was a big man and liked a 12.75in LOP. I find that about perfect for me. I can shoot a light 308 Steyr Scout with a conventional scope all day long and the scope never gets close to my eye.

I bought a TI take-off with a 12.375 LOP and put it on a 7mm SAUM and I occasionally got tapped from prone bipod position if I didn't hold the gun firmly. So, for me, that is TOO short. YMMV.

If you get a stock too long, it'll really slow down offhand snap shooting. That is why Cooper favored a short stock.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get by with too short.

Too long can cause problems.

To answer your question, you'll know it's right when you can quickly and comfortably get behind the gun.

I have rifles that go from 12.5" to 13.75" and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to use any of them.

I do prefer a longer LOP when shooting prone though.

If you practice with what you have, it pretty much becomes a non issue...unless you're a giant or a midget.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok thanks guys. I'm looking at a stock that Brownells carries but LOP is 13 7/8 w/o the recoil pad,that would put it around 14 7/8 with a pad. Too long imo,my 2 rifles are 13 3/4 & 13 7/8 both feel right.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If the rifle is going to be used in cold weather compensating for the extra clothes is a good idea.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If the thumb is about 1&1/2 inches in front of the nose when the gun is mounted that is about right. Shotguns are usually fitted a little longer than rifles.

Having the rifle "point' where you are looking when you mount it has a lot more to do with drop at the comb and heel than LOP. Havng cast on or cast off can help that also, but many think, and probably rightly so, that this increases felt recoil for heavy kickers. I like to have it though.

Although it is indeed not rocket science,those that take time to get a properly fitted stock will enjoy shooting a lot more.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/04/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Read this -may need to take into account normal amount of clothing when shooting:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/LOP-Measurement/how_to_measure_your_lop.htm

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Read this -may need to take into account normal amount of clothing when shooting:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/LOP-Measurement/how_to_measure_your_lop.htm

That is probably the biggest, most untruthful wives tale ever told. It does not take in account different body structures, length of neck, size of chest, etc. As an example,women will typically have a different LOP than a man of similar stature.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And it does not take into account where you mount your scope or head - but it's a basic place to start and has been recommended by more than one stock maker through the years.

So - if it's "the most untruthful wives tale ever told" - do enlighten all of us - how does a person make a reasonably accurate measurement prior to ordering a replacement stock?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my pencil barrel Browning Safaris (small ring Mauser action) came with a padded stock about one inch short and floated in a less than professional manner. The dealer had it priced about like an action as he was convinced by the float job that it did not shoot. I bought the little .308 intending to have it built into a .280, but I shot it as is and was delighted to find out it was a tack driver, at least for three shots. I mounted the scope far enough forward to eliminate a problem. The rifle is OK in shirt sleeves and comes into it's own on cold days with heavy clothing. Another custom stocked Mauser has a steel butt plate on a stock about i/2" shorter than normal. It fits so well that recoil is managed well, and it too is a joy to use. I wear a 35" sleeve on dress shirts. IMO, short is not a bad thing on rifles. jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/04/12.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He already gave it to you...

Using the old wives' tale my LOP would be over 16". My correct LOP is far shorter.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.