Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello all,

I just got home from a Crazy Mountain Goat hunt. It was a wonderful and beautiful hunt.

My brother in law and I flew into Bozeman last Thurs. We stayed with family and woke up on Friday to a haze across the Gallatin Valley from the fires. From Belgrade you couldn't see the Bridgers.

We met the Outfitter at the Clyde Park Tavern with a trailer full of horses for our hunt. Friday was filled with fitting saddles, sighting in rifles and a steak dinner.

Saturday morning we left camp for the ride up into the Crazies. The weather was perfect and the scenery was spectacular. The Crazies were more rugged than I had imagined. It was evident as well that they were exceptionally dry.

[Linked Image]

We made camp around 9000 feet in a small high pasture after crossing a 1/2 mile of rockslides and shale. Leading horses across that area was something that adds to the adventure and I will always remember.

[Linked Image]

We watched a Nanny and kid dance on the cliffs right from camp. Watching the kids play amongst the rocks I just struggled with is truely humbling and impressive. We saw another group of 7 nannies and kids and tried to put a stalk on them but they got nervous and moved to higher ground. We went to bed watching another group of 7 nannies and kids.

In the morning we went after the group of 7 nnanies and kids we had seen the previous night. After hiking a mile across rockslides we watched the ease into the next basin and knew we would never catch them. We stopped to take a break and saw a billy watching us from the cliff above the bowl we were in. He was 800 yards away watching us. The decision was made to stalk this goat. The billy saw us the entire time. My hunting partner and guide thought that the goat would stay because he felt like he had the upper hand, which in fact, he did have. We stalked within 350 yards when another goat stood up which looked larger. I went the last 5 yards to a rock, threw down my pack, leaned tmy 270 across my pack and found him in the scope. I shot and heard the 130 gr Accubond hit and the goat went stiff legged. I hit him again and he just stood there. Just as I was about to shoot again, he lunged but didn't have any power and fell into a rock slide. As we heard the rocks fall, we waited for a rolling goat to exit the chute and hit the bottom but it never happened. He was hung up in the cliffs. The only option was to go get him. We used toe holds to climb up to him. It was something my wife and mother would have been very angry to see me do.

[Linked Image]

When we reached him, I couldn't have been happier. He was a beautiful goat and in great shape. He had fallen about 20 yards after the final shot but hadn't broken anything up and was on a little bench that was perfect for skinning him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The game fish biologist has him aged at 8-9 years old and the horns were 9 5/8" with 5 1/2" bases. His hair was very good for this early in the season. It was a wonderful adventure and I have memories to last a lifetime.

[Linked Image]

ddj

Last edited by trouthunterdj; 09/06/12. Reason: spelling

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Jealous here. Great story and goat! Thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats and awesome story -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Awesome! I'm Jealous!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats. The Crazies are indeed spectacular.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story! Thanks for bringing us along and congrats.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very cool.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! A dream of mine.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! Goat hunts are special. I'm sure you'll be thinking of this one for a long time.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Outstanding, gorgeous country, REAL hunting and just a totally neat story of getting a damned nice RMG.

Now, try to save the $$$$$ and see about a Dall's or, if you can swing the cost, maybe a Stone's ram. I think I would go to Alaska or the Canadian "Territories" for the former and shop VERY carefully and cautiously here in B.C. for the latter.

I consider a "fair chase" RMG to be as fine a "trophy" as exists in North America and I love watching them play in places that any human would break his neck in two minutes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love it. The horses got orange safety vests too!!!

Hey Bubba, check that funny looking elk cow over there. You know the one with the stuff strapped all over her back. Should I shoot? Naw, something just ain't right about her . . .

Nice goat and adventure BTW. I am very fortunate that I get to see Goats from my office window on their late winter / early spring range. Can see them with the nekkid eye.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Congrats.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, and a great story. Full body mount?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent post - thank you and congrats on a wonderful trophy & memories for a lifetime.

I put in every year in Oregon hoping to draw a mtn goat tag, maybe one day!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Guys. I think I will have to do a full or half body mount with this goat.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very nice, and congrats. Sounds and looks like a spectacular hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice! Good write up. I am jealous!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Awesome! I'm Jealous!

Me too!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congrats! Now thats real hunting there.

Fantastic trophy and exceptional pictures.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.