-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Checked one out the other day and liked what I saw. It is a nice sized package for a 9mm carry gun; small but allows a full grip. It is light, the sights are decent and it is not expensive. Any experience or reviews? Accuracy? Reliability? My FIL has a Taurus 709 that shoots well for me. My concern is that you hear such a wide range of opinions and views on them. Any experience based comments are welcome.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
bump

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The shop I frequent has more problems-failures-dissatisfied customers with Taurus handguns than any other brand they sell. However if you you don't plan on shooting it I am sure it will be fine they do look nice. Or you may get lucky, I am sure that some percentage of the guns they make are ok. Sorry but I have no first hand experience with them as I steer clear of things when people I have known for 20 years tell me to consider something else. They are less expensive, they are a good marketing company, they look good, they have been innovative with the raging whatever series, but the innards are suspect.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The shop I frequent has more problems-failures-dissatisfied customers with Taurus handguns than any other brand they sell. However if you you don't plan on shooting it I am sure it will be fine they do look nice. Or you may get lucky, I am sure that some percentage of the guns they make are ok. Sorry but I have no first hand experience with them as I steer clear of things when people I have known for 20 years tell me to consider something else. They are less expensive, they are a good marketing company, they look good, they have been innovative with the raging whatever series, but the innards are suspect.
That about covers it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Should be able to get a Cz82 for less.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Many thanks, all!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a PT111 Millenium Pro that my Dad gave me when he stopped carrying a pistol. it has never jammed in several hundred rounds of ball and jhp 9mm ammo. It is no Glock, but I think Taurus gets a bad rap undeservedly. YMMV

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Brother in Law has the Millenium Pro 9mm. He needed a carry gun that was still comfortable to shoot a lot for not a ton of money. I have to say I'm not a Taurus fan, but I have shot that gun a lot, and it has yet to hiccup. Accuracy is on par with a Glocks, and it has great sights.(Heinies). If I needed a budget 9, I could go with one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Third gen. PT111 is a tough, well-made, and very reliable pistol.
It has good safety features and second strike capability.

Downsides are: peculiar sights which may need to be altered to hit your point of aim;
expensive mags and lack of aftermarket accesories; and
odd trigger pull which takes practice to get tight groups.

If you like the 709, don't be afraid to buy a PT111 as the're almost the same pistol.

Last edited by night_owl; 09/05/12.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a new Taurus PT111 9mm Millennium about ten years ago.
I do not see the word - PRO - on the gun. After ten years its a
very reliable pistol. Never jammed or FTF. Got my Taurus for $300
and the dealer included two extra Mec-gar mags.
I guess they upgraded it and added the word PRO. As the sight on mine
are they very basic 3 dot type. I'm happy with it.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I have a PT111 Millenium Pro that my Dad gave me when he stopped carrying a pistol. it has never jammed in several hundred rounds of ball and jhp 9mm ammo. It is no Glock, but I think Taurus gets a bad rap undeservedly. YMMV

Ron

I bought this same pistol for my wife. I have perhaps 1000+ rounds through it and it has never jammed. The load that I shoot is 7.8g of AA#7 with a 124g What ever. This pistol is super accurate with this load with the Speer Gold dot being the most accurate bullet that I have shot.

Taurus has extremely good customer service. The 9mm was so accurate and functioned flawless, that I bought the upgraded version of the 45 ACP. I had problems with it. Taurus had FEd Ex pick it up, and I had the pistol back in 3 weeks, and it is has never jammed since.

Just a note, that my wife shot the 9mm so well that I sold the Smith Stainess model 60 38 Special.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Got a new Taurus PT111 9mm Millennium about ten years ago.
I do not see the word - PRO - on the gun. After ten years its a
very reliable pistol. Never jammed or FTF. Got my Taurus for $300
and the dealer included two extra Mec-gar mags.
I guess they upgraded it and added the word PRO. As the sight on mine
are they very basic 3 dot type. I'm happy with it.

I also had a Taurus PT140 Millennium about 8 or more years ago. I don't remember seeing the word, "Pro" on it either. I probably only put a couple hundred rounds, at most, through it, and had no problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked on Gunbroker just to get a price on the Taurus PT111.
Lots of used PT111 for sale and the range is $300 - $350

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Hotload
I looked on Gunbroker just to get a price on the Taurus PT111.
Lots of used PT111 for sale and the range is $300 - $350
Too much money. We sell new ones for $410.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.