Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Link to Dumb Review of Savage LRP

Really zippy .243?

One last note about comfort. As tested, this gun tops the scales at about 14 pounds. That type of weight does wonders for soaking up the recoil of the very zippy .243

I got a better group with an off the shelf Kimber .257 and a 2x7 scope shooting off a rest consisting of a sock filled with beans laid on a 4x4:

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course, if you were shooting varmints in any number, as is the task of the Savage in review, that Kimber would kick the snot out of you and you'd think it was "zippy" too.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice "radius" on those groups. smile

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
well, it looks like he's saying it's a consistent .5" rifle to me? I'd be pleased with that, especially if it was doing it consistently with the barrel very hot. I have never been bothered by the recoil of a .243, but then again, I've never fired one more than 40 times or so in a single sitting.

it looks to me like the low comb of the HS stock that the writer mentions could be alleviated somewhat if he'd drop that scope down in some shorter rings.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It looks to me like he is saying it is consistently a 1" rifle. As he refers to 1/2 inch group radius. One inch also appears to be consistent with the groups photographed.

I like this quote also:
Whereas I can do about forty rounds with my little Ruger Mark II before I throw in the towel,

I generally feel a bit of fatigue after forty rounds of 160's from the STW in an afternoon. Or 100 rounds of 165's from an '06. But 40 rounds of 243????????

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It looks to me like he is saying it is consistently a 1" rifle. As he refers to 1/2 inch group radius. One inch also appears to be consistent with the groups photographed.

I like this quote also:
Whereas I can do about forty rounds with my little Ruger Mark II before I throw in the towel,

I generally feel a bit of fatigue after forty rounds of 160's from the STW in an afternoon. Or 100 rounds of 165's from an '06. But 40 rounds of 243????????

ha ... now I see what you're talking about with the groups in the pics. I actually think this "radius" method is ingenious! it allows me to shrink the internet groups of all my rifles by a full 1/2!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, first off never buy a varmint rifle with a synthetic stock without a Monte Carlo cheek rest or adjustable tactical type rest. I learned that way with a couple of stocks - they are useless. Most rubes buy scopes with huge objective bells that require medium or high rings, so they have to crane their neck to get a picture.

Next, that AccuTrigger is simple to adjust, so Bozo and his trusty sidekick Clem, try to adjust it down to mimic a set trigger, or a Jewel trigger - if indeed they ever handled a Jewel or set trigger. What the article described was an AccuTrigger that was set too light so it wouldn't release the sear. Of course the Savage 12 LRP is a three screw action and very sensitive to screw torque. Setting the screws for function and accuracy requires a bit of testing and a precision torque gauge.Somewhere around 35 inch pounds on the front screw, the same on the middle screw and 30 on the rear screw is about right. Mucking up the torque settings can cause the trigger to malfunction if the bedding is crap and you gave the screwdriver to Godzilla. If the author sent the rifle back to Savage he is moron and shouldn't be allowed to shoot rifles or be out after dark with tattooed women wearing leather pants.

Accuracy is relative. Here is a group from a homemade Savage 12 LRP clone in .223 Remington. The group measures .206" and contains 7 shots at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

Here's another set of groups fired with various action screw torque settings all shot using the same load in another .204 Ruger Savage LRP clone I cobbled up. 35, 35, 30 in lbs is the top left target.

[Linked Image]

Even the .243 WSSM I built will shoot down in the .2's. But of course that's with handloads.

So, bottom line is if you are going to review a rifle for the Bubbas with pork-rib grease smeared all over their faces while doing a tailgater at the stadium, then the article deserves a bucket of Hell's a Poppin BBQ Sauce and a trail pack of Cottonelle wipes as first prize. As for you Kimber owners, just bow in silence when the Savage guys walk by.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 09/07/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (14idaho, 280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.