Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am beyond tempted. I guess I need to price out a wood stock for it. I am torn between this one or the wood/blued Hawkeye on CDNN in.....wait for it.....270 win. Grabbing flame suit now. Hmm....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/55942/Ruger+HAWKEYE+35+WHL+*LTD*17119

BP-B6

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At that price I am really tempted to buy another.

They were really hard to find for awhile, and the dealers that had them were asking a lot for them. I was kicking myself for a long time for letting the one I had go, and considered paying $699 just to get another one.

I finally got one from Bud's a month or so ago, but still paid $40 more than this for it.

I would snag one now if I was you.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

+1 !!!!

Fifth,

Go for it!!! That's an excellent price, IMHO!

I haven't hunted anything with it yet, but I really like mine!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Stainless Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen tuned by Lone Star Armory. Pillar bedded in factory synthetic stock. Scope rings lapped. Extractor blackened. Trigger tuned to 3.5 lb pull.
Bolt lugs lapped. Action polished. Extractor tuned."
http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/ruger35wh/rgr35wh.html

Originally Posted by Fifth
I am beyond tempted. I guess I need to price out a wood stock for it. ...

Oh, and like you, I also like stainless rifles in walnut stocks! grin Here's my Ruger M77 Mk II in .338 Win Mag:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/338/IMG_0277-640x425.jpg[/img]

http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/338/ruger338.html

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, if i didnt already have the same rifle in 358 Winchester, I'd have one of these 35 Whelens, very nice.

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm going to give this until tomorrow morning, and if my lust for this rifle has not yet cooled, one will be headed my way eek!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It isn't going to be going down in price--so if you want it, you'd better get it.

If you don't like it by next year, just resell it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am beyond tempted. I guess I need to price out a wood stock for it. I am torn between this one or the wood/blued Hawkeye on CDNN in.....wait for it.....270 win. Grabbing flame suit now. Hmm....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/55942/Ruger+HAWKEYE+35+WHL+*LTD*17119

Fifth, I'm surprised at you. Really a 270?? eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
At that price I am really tempted to buy another.

They were really hard to find for awhile, and the dealers that had them were asking a lot for them. I was kicking myself for a long time for letting the one I had go, and considered paying $699 just to get another one.

I finally got one from Bud's a month or so ago, but still paid $40 more than this for it.

I would if it were a 9.3x62 ;), then I'd slap it into a walnut stock and "rock on" grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I know, I know. What I really want is a 6.5-06 but finding that in a factory rifle is near impossible. I suppose the 264 WM is an option but I've got enough magnum barrel burners at the moment and think the 6.5-06 would fill a nice hole in my rifle stable. The 35 Whelen is arguably the harder one to justify, as if a gun purchase can be "justified"......looney. Anyway, I do have a hole between my 300 WSM and 375 Ruger but the logical choice is a 338WM. But who ever said a rifle looney is logical? The 35 Whelen has good style points in my book so it is getting some serious consideration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang, if i didnt already have the same rifle in 358 Winchester, I'd have one of these 35 Whelens, very nice.

Gunner

Whether it's a .318 Westley Richards (.330" bullet diameter), .333 Jeffery (.333" bullet diameter) .338-06, .358 Winchester, 9x57, .35 Whelen, .350 Rigby, 9.3x57, or 9.3x62, it's difficult to beat one of the the mild-mannered medium bores for all-around practicality and usefulness, IMHO.

Just my two cents....

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I know, I know. What I really want is a 6.5-06 but finding that in a factory rifle is near impossible. I suppose the 264 WM is an option but I've got enough magnum barrel burners at the moment and think the 6.5-06 would fill a nice hole in my rifle stable. The 35 Whelen is arguably the harder one to justify, as if a gun purchase can be "justified"......looney. Anyway, I do have a hole between my 300 WSM and 375 Ruger but the logical choice is a 338WM. But who ever said a rifle looney is logical? The 35 Whelen has good style points in my book so it is getting some serious consideration.

Fifth,

Now, now... You've simply got to decide whether you want another small bore or medium bore rifle!

And, quite frankly, your .300 WSM and .375 Ruger have all the the bases covered, IMHO.... With that said:

How much difference do you think there truly is between a 6.5-06, .264 WM, .270 Win, .280 Rem (and the 7x57 Mauser and the 7x64 Brenneke) to really matter or make any type of practical difference and/or effectiveness on game?....

Note: I have never taken any game with any of the cartridges mentioned above... I'm not trying to pass myself off as any kind of expert in such matters... There are many folks on here that have far more hunting experience than me...

With that stated, I would like to post a few pics of my "companion" rifle to my .35 Whelen that I posted above....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Stainless Ruger M77 Mk II in .280 Remington customized by Lone Star Armory. Action, barrel, and bottom metal have been vapor honed to a matte finish. Pillar bedded in factory synthetic stock. Scope rings lapped. Bolt and extractor jeweled. Trigger tuned to 3.5 lb pull. Bolt lugs lapped. Action polished. Extractor tuned."
http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/ruger280/rgr280rem.html

Hmmm.... A .280 Rem and a .35 Whelen.... Not a bad pair to have, IMHO... A fella do could a lot worse!!... grin

Fifth,

You will always be able to buy a rifle in .270 Winchester. Rifles chambered in .35 Whelen, produced by a major manufacturer, are not that common... Buy the rifle in .35 Whelen and enjoy it. A Ruger chambered in .35 Whelen may have some value in the future... Any rifle in .270 Win not so much... Just my two cents....

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's a little something that might give some folks a better appreciation and understanding of the. .358 Winchester and the .35 Whelen:

An article from African Hunter magazine:

The 9x57 Mauser

The 9mm Mauser is one of a number of cartridges based upon the old German infantry round, the 8x57mm adopted in 1888. A popular sporting cartridge in itself, the 8x57 spawned a number of others as cartridge designers busily necked it up and down to accept different calibre bullets. Most of these fell by the wayside, or at best achieved a moderate popularity. One version, which did achieve popularity, was the 9x57mm sporting round. For those of you who may be confused, 9mm refers to the calibre and the 57mm designation is indicative of the length of the cartridge case. This turned out to be an exceptionally well balanced and effective sporting round, and became one of the more widely used medium bores in Africa during the pre-World War II era.

It is one of those splendid calibres which just plain worked, without being possessed of spectacular velocities, or bone-jarring recoil for that matter. None of the old time hunter/writers of that era waxed particularly lyrical in its praise, but simply took it for granted that it would do its job effectively and with the minimum of fuss and bother. Fairly typical, were the comments made about it by John Taylor in, "African Rifles and Cartridges", where he does not have much to say about it bar "�I had a very nice little 9mm Mauser one time. I seldom used it other than for the pot, which it had no difficulty in keeping filled". It is not, and never was a heavy, dangerous game calibre, and those who tried to use it as such were asking for a sticky end, but nonetheless round-nosed solid ammunition was readily available for it. Many individuals used such bullets in their 9mm Mausers quite successfully on the big stuff with nary a hitch nor hiccup, but nonetheless such practices are not to be recommended! For any game animals up to but not including the thick-skinned, heavy animals the 9mm Mauser was wonderfully effective, proving yet again the effectiveness of larger calibre bullets of good sectional density at moderate speed.

The ballistics of the 9mm Mauser are somewhat confusing, as there were a number of bullet weights available and two distinctly different load levels. Bullet weights available ranged from 205 grains up to 281 grains, but the standard Kynoch loading (and the one which established this cartridge's reputation) was a 245-grain round-nosed bullet (available as a solid or a soft-nose) at 2150 feet per second. Other factory ammunition was loaded somewhat hotter, particularly the German DWM sporting ammunition, which offered a 247-grain bullet at an alleged 2310 feet per second. Under Zimbabwe's National Parks regulations the 9mm Mauser fits quite happily in the calibres suited for Class 'C' animals (general big game), which includes Kudu, Zebra, Sable, Waterbuck and the like.

As noted, popularity was very high in Africa as this calibre, as well as being effective, was available in the well-made and reasonably priced (and absolutely delightful) Mauser sporting rifles of the era. Popularity even spread across the Atlantic to America, where Winchester chambered the model 54 bolt-actioned rifles for it and most of the major ammunition companies loaded 9mm Mauser ammunition. Sadly, the 9mm Mauser did not really catch on in the States. The American gun buying public have always been highly suspicious of any calibre with the dreaded millimetre designation attached to it, and I would not be surprised if the Americans were going through one of their periodic high velocity and long-range phases at about this time. If they were, the moderate speeds of the 9mm Mauser would doubtless fail to excite them in any way. Whatever the reason, it failed to prosper. A few (a very few) Model 70 Winchesters were made for the 9mm Mauser in 1937, using leftover Model 54 barrels and probably as a special order item only. It then sadly expired as far as the Americans were concerned. Incidentally, if you show a Winchester model 70 in 9mm Mauser calibre (in good, original condition of course) to a serious pre '64 Model 70 collector, best make sure that he's sitting down first, he may hurt himself when he falls over. When he picks himself back up again, prepare to have ever-increasing quantities of money offered to you for it (or to be seized by the throat until you agree to give it to him)! The 9mm Mauser is one of the rarest of all the pre-'64 Winchester variants.

What of modern-day use? Unfortunately, the years have not been kind to the 9mm Mauser. After World War II, the Mauser factory was in ruins and the last thing on anyone's mind was sporting rifles and calibres. As Europe settled down, various calibres were resurrected for continued sporting use, but the 9mm was not among them. Factories continued to make ammunition for the many rifles still in use, but no new rifles were made and it was only a matter of time before the 9mm Mauser slipped into obscurity. Newer, faster and generally more gee-whiz calibres were being brought out to tempt the buyer, and whereas some old classic calibres have been re-introduced in the States, it seems no one is about to repeat the unhappy pre-war American experience with the 9mm. They tried it once, it didn't work out so they're not going to try it again! Craig Boddington, in his excellent book "Safari Rifles", sums the current position up most aptly when he states, concerning the various 9mm's, 'Of them, the 9x57 Mauser enjoyed a degree of popularity, even in America. Although the bore diameter has potential, the European cartridges had generally low velocity�No 9mm rifle cartridges are currently listed by RWS. Rather than spend more time on them, let's turn to some metrics that still have real importance in African hunting".

The calibre is, of course, as effective as it ever was, but it just doesn't feature anymore. This is a pity. Modern powders and cases should make it easy to boost velocities and power levels significantly. Loading up to the aforementioned DWM specifications with a more aerodynamic spitzer or spire-point projectile would flatten trajectories, too. However, consider that with a 100 yd. zero, the original bullet will drop about 9 inches at 200 yards, which is better than most would think (and is as far away as most of us should ever consider shooting). At DWM speeds with a spire-point bullet, we're now looking at a six-inch drop at the same range, so one can see that the 9mm is more than adequate at all practical ranges. You can get out of your head the notion that it's only good for bowling-alley distances. It's a funny thing, but all those I have spoken to who have ever used the 9mm Mauser for hunting (and some who still do) are all highly enthusiastic and voluble as to its effectiveness. All are agreed that it is splendid for hunting, none have a bad word to say about it, and to a man they bemoan the difficulties they experience in obtaining ammunition (although it has to be said that one particularly enthusiastic user's experiences as to the singularly devastating effects of his rifle were largely due to the fact that his bullets were travelling virtually sideways upon striking his game, due to a severely eroded bore)!

You aren't going to buy any currently manufactured rifles in 9mm Mauser, and neither are you going to stroll into your average neighborhood gun shop and be able to buy any ammunition. Nonetheless, there are a number of perfectly good rifles still floating about, and what's a fellow to do if one wishes to shoot a cherished old heirloom in this calibre? Never fear, all is not lost. Reloading dies are available, and readily obtainable 8x57 Mauser brass is easily expanded or fire-formed into 9mm. The correct bullet diametre is .356", whereas American bullets are .358". However, American bullets can be swaged down (or put on a centreless grinder) and thus made to work. Before doing this, I would slug the bore of my particular rifle to find out the exact groove measurement, as a lot of these older rifles can vary considerably in their bore dimensions. You may well find that .358" bullets can be used as is. You may equally find that further reduction is necessary, however! Another option is Stewart's Bullets in South Africa, who will custom-make bullets of whatever size you need. I would stick to round-nosed bullets in the 250-grain range at the original 2150 feet per second, particularly if using open sights. If your rifle is 'scope or peep sighted, feel free to experiment with pointy bullets at higher velocity. Just go carefully, and don't over-strain a fine old rifle (or yourself, for that matter). It isn't a magnum, so don't try and turn it into one! I have seen some of the old Kynoch 9mm Mauser ammunition in this part of the world. Beware. It is now extremely old, and primers may well not go off. Furthermore, the primers are more than likely corrosive. I would use it as a source of components only. This, of course, does not apply to the new Kynoch ammunition, which is first class in every way. However, the new Kynoch catalogue makes no mention of 9mm Mauser ammunition.

I have before me a fairly typical and utterly delightful Mauser rifle in 9mm calibre. It is an A-grade, meaning that it is of a style designed to appeal most to the British tastes and market (and is my favourite Mauser sporter style). It has a 24" barrel, with shallow 'V' rearsight and bead foresight mounted on a chequered ramp, a style I find far easier to use than the normal old European deep-V and barleycorn arrangement. Additional folding leaves upon the rearsight block go up to 500 metres. The forward sling swivel is mounted upon a barrel band in front of the fore-end, a style sure to delight the hearts of purists. The action is, of course, the marvellous Model 98, and is of commercial Obendorf Mauser manufacture with the top of the forward receiver ring finely chequered so as to avoid glare (and look darned good to boot). The magazine box is equipped with a side-swinging release lever, a style I am highly enamoured with, which combines rigid locking, ease of release and fine appearance. The stock is of classic design, of course, with a modest cheekpiece and extensive hand-cut chequering. The fore-end has an ebony tip (minus white-line spacer, I'm glad to say) and the buttplate is black Bakelite with the Mauser logo moulded in. The comb of the stock is supremely comfortable for use with the iron sights, and the entire rifle as a whole certainly comes out as more than the mere sum of its parts. The balance is impeccable. It begs to be handled, to be put up in the shoulder and aimed with, and then having wormed its way into the heart, one cannot but yearn to shoot with it. From there, the progression is entirely natural; what would it be like to hunt with? I'll bet it carries nicely in the field, just the ticket for typical bushveldt hunting conditions. That big, long bullet wouldn't half be effective on game�. before you know it, you're arranging a 'classic' hunt with some friends old rifles only, no 'scopes allowed, that sort of thing.

I very much doubt we'll ever be seeing the 9mm Mauser back again as a viable, commercial entity. However, I hope this encourages those of you who may have one of these fine old rifles to use it again. Make the effort to assemble some ammunition. Shoot with it. Hunt with it. Disregard the temptation to have it re-barreled to some other more easily obtainable calibre, especially if the bore is still decent. Ignore the seductive siren songs of the new, blistering, high-speed magnum cartridges with long-range performance figures you don't need and will never use. I note with dismay that the American market is once again obsessed with Magnumitis II, if you thought the currently extant group of magnums were powerful, wait and see what the latest crop has to offer! (we won't mention heavy recoil, ear-splitting muzzle blast, poor barrel life; bullet failure and meat loss�mustn't be spiteful, must we�). Ignore the current fads, and give the old timer a chance again. The 9mm Mauser hasn�t 'gone off' or anything over the years, and is of course as good as it ever was. Just because up-to-the-minute hunters are using new wonder-magnums, it doesn't mean the game is now somehow tougher or is going around in bulletproof vests. The 9mm Mauser is quite capable of getting the job done, and doing so with such a classic will, I like to think, give an added measure of satisfaction.

----------------

[Linked Image]

If you would like a pdf file of the article about the 9x57 that I posted then you can download it here:

http://www.bunduki.com/bob/magazine/AH-the9x57Mauser-Perspectives.pdf

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If McMillan would make the mk-ii classic stock in edge tech I would order one of these in a heartbeat

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Whether it's a .318 Westley Richards (.330" bullet diameter), .333 Jeffery (.333" bullet diameter) .338-06, .358 Winchester, 9x57, .35 Whelen, .350 Rigby, 9.3x57, or 9.3x62, it's difficult to beat one of the the mild-mannered medium bores for all-around practicality and usefulness, IMHO.

Just my two cents....

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Absolutely agree BF, my 358 W and 9.3X62MM are both very mild mannered, on recoil and muzzle blast, but hit game like a semi load of pig iron. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tough to beat a Ruger Whelen. If I did not have my old tweaked tang RS I would be all over that SS one. The 225 TSX and RE-15 has been the deal on elk, moose, bear and hogs.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There just damn good solid dependable rifles Ed, I like 'em, I've said it before and hate to admit it now, but I have an old tang safety Ruger 458 Win Mag. that's the most accurate BB rifle I own or have ever fired. blush

Gunner

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Hope you got one, they're gone now.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Hope you got one, they're gone now.

No Sir, I didnt order one, I have same in Ruger S/S 358 Winchester and a 9.3X62MM built on a Heym Mauser action, to much over-lap. cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Touch to beat a Ruger Whelen. If I did not have my old tweaked tang RS I would be all over that SS one. The 225 TSX and RE-15 has been the deal on elk, moose, bear and hogs.

[Linked Image]

Ed, I love the hell out of those old rugers like that: So much that I had to buy one over the weekend.....:

Let's just say it's the 30-06's little brother whistle blush:
[Linked Image]
.....and I'm looking for a good deal on some 130 gr. partitions.

I'd love to have one of those 35 whelen's but my 9.3x62 has that job covered (damnit!!!!):
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes the old '62 is a fine round. My FN I put together in 2000 with a Karnis reworked stock and my Weaver mounts. laugh Used a B&C Medalist for years, bottom from 2002.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.