Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hey All,

I was down in St. Paul a few weeks ago visiting my sister and we decided to hit some garage sales. Well, I came across a lone Outer's gun cleaning rod at one sale and inquired as to whether or not he had any other firearm related items he would be willing to sell. He said "I've got a couple of shotguns I would sell". One was a Remington Model 48 Sportsman and the other was this Stevens 16 Gauge side by side. The price was right, so I ended up with both of them. Both are used and show hunting wear, but not too bad and like I said, the price was right.

The Steven's has no serial number, and has the dog engraved on the left side of the receiver and the other side is marked "J.Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A." The right side is also marked "5100". When looking for info online, I've seen them referred to as a Model 5100. Some say that the action only is a 5100, which was used on many different shotguns, but the shotgun is a 530 or 311. I've seen some 530's so marked on the receiver where this one is marked 5100 and I believe the 530's are a single selective trigger??? As for the 311, I think this pre-dates the Model 311. There is no boss code on it. I've also read that the engraved dog was only used during the 1930's. Anyone out there have any experience with these that can give me an idea of manufacture date and which model this actually is? Here's some pictures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]\
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any information anyone can supply would be appreciated. Thanks.

Randy

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can't give any technical info, but that looks like a 5100 to me. A very solid and decently balanced double, a little "heavy for its guage" but also very strong. Don't know what you paid, but you got a good 'un. Those things last a few lifetimes if not messed with. Can't give you a date, but prewar anyway. Can't tell from the pictures--does it have two triggers or one?

I'd keep it original for auld lang syne; use "spreader loads" if the barrels are too tight for your general use (instead of rechoking), and keep it away from those "Cowboy Shooters" and their hacksaws!

Dontcha love garage sales?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info. It does have the double triggers. It is marked '5100' but I'm wondering if that's the model of the shotgun or just the action, and the shotgun is a different model??? That reminds me, is there a way of determining choke size? I'm not going to do anything to it but maybe take it pheasant hunting. I paid $150 for the pair of shotguns, and yes, I DO love garage sales!!!!

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eh hem, Ill need you to return those to Minnesota promptly. Something to do with city ordinances, but lets not bicker over the details.

smile

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a similar in 20 Ga. Marked 5100 very small and faint on right side. Left side "Ward's Western Field Deluxe" Below that but much smaller "SB 530" "2&3/4 only". It has a mid rib sight, 28" barrels, choked imp/cyl and modified, single non selective trigger, checkered forearm and grip, red rubber butt pad marded "Western Field' trade mark. Nicely balanced. I researched it and found it was Stevens 5100 and prewar. I misplaced any additional info unfortunately. I bought it at a local sherriff's dept liquidation sale. It needed some TLC, and the front bead replaced, plus a stock and forearm refinish that included steaming out most of the major nicks; I left a few for character. It's a workin' gun.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It seems that the info I've found says that the 530's had the single selective triggers, so that's why I think this is not a 530, but maybe they came either way. From what I've found, the '5100' marking on the action is the action model #, and was used by different company's, including Springfield and evidently Ward's Western Field, among others. Maybe this one of mine is from the 1930's cool Any other comments???

Sorry about invading your turf, Grogel, but it worked out pretty well for me!!! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now I'm curious. Wonder what the "SB" prefix of the 530 stands for. It can't be for single barrel on a double. Maybe "Store Brand"?

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can find these with the "Ranger" brand, too. Same good old gun.

I believe that some of the standard gun reference books like "Cartidges of the World" will have the choke measurements for 16 guage. Or any standard reference on shotguns like Askins or Zutz. You'll need an inside caliper to get the measurements of your chokes. MOST of the 28" barreled 5100s were M/F, but as Kojak's 20 shows, sometimes they are IC/M. And of course sometimes they got rechoked.... But any of these chokes will do for pheasant hunting as long as you can resist taking birds up close with the full choke barrel. Easier to say than to do! Or just get a box of spreaders and put 'em in the full barrel when you are in tight cover.

16s rule.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a 16 Ga S X S with dubble triggers, 2 3/4 inch chamber . On the left side of the action ( SHOPLEIGHS KING NITRO ) On the right side of the action ( 5100 ). Stevens made the shotgun for Shopligh Hardware Company St Louis, Missouri which was in business from the mid 19th century untill the mid 20th century.. The parts book I have list the 5100 with the Stevans Mdl 311 side by side shotguns. It was commmon for Stevens to make guns for other companies.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.