Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been sprayed in the eyes/face with OC in training a few times. After being sprayed, we were required to draw our PR-24 baton, administer a few jabs/strikes to a training bag, then handcuff a semi-compliant fellow student.

Bottom line, OC will make your eyes/nose burn and runny, make you wish to close your eyes, make it hard to breathe, irritate your mouth, throat, lungs, sinus.

But, if you have a strong combat mindset, and determination, it will not neutralize you.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

But, if you have a strong combat mindset, and determination, it will not neutralize you.

Crap I screwed. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Crap I screwed. grin

God..me too..

I dont think I could have a strong combat mindset when Im flopping around on the ground screaming like a little girl! cry

But I do think bear spray is a good idea, cause if the wind isnt with you, you'll get some in your face,and that way you wont be able to see what is about to happen to you... eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
LOL.

I can just about guarantee that any human trying to defend their young from danger, would not be stopped by a blast of OC to their face.

Would a bear? I can't say, but it seems unlikely to me.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No way in hell im pepper spraying Yogi...... Ive been subjected to it twice and it didnt "neutralize" "subdue" or "deter" me either time....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats cause you ain't right boy....

besides, all you need is that .22 mag derringer and some kerosene..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That will definitely,deter, neutralize or subdue a boar hog..... or so Im told....whistle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Plus...you can warm your hands on the fire...if he will hold still long enough... grin

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Not sure how itd work on ol Ephraim though.... May just wind up fighting a flaming bear... grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
interesting read: BEAR STUDY. i carry spray more often than not, even though i have most of the handguns mentioned in this thread.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There have been numerous instances where bears have been stopped by pepper spray, and numerous instances where they've been stopped by handguns.

One of the instances that happened in Montana a few years ago involved a couple of guys bowhunting elk in a creek drainage not far north of Yellowstone Park. One guy had a .45 auto and and the guy had a big can of pepper spray.

They ran into a sow grizzly with cubs, about 50 yards away, according to their later estimates. She did the standard threat stuff--popping her jaws, bouncing on her front legs--and the guy with the .45 cut loose, apparently at what might have been too long a range for his skills. Dunno the load.

He wounded her, and she charged, got him down and started mauling him. The other guy drew his spray and applied it liberally. The bear ran off and stayed away. Luckily the spray-guy was a doctor and got his partner patched up and into a hospital.

This is an example of one, but educational. The guy with the handgun was evidently nervous and started shooting long before he should have, since the bear was threatening, not charging. And yes, pepper spray did drive off a wounded, angry mama grizzly.

I also know a few people who have pepper-sprayed black bears, and in every instance it worked, though none of the bears were mamas with cubs.

The most exprienced bear man I know, Phil Shoemaker, carries both pepper spray and a revolver when guiding fishermen during summer in Alaska. We had a big brown bear sow come galumphing up to us, because it was being chased by a dumb-ass woman with a point-and-shoot camera from another fishing party slightly upstream. The bear was not happy and at 15 feet away from us stood there trying to decide whether to charge. Phil had his right hand on his revolver and his left hand on the spray, which may be the belt and suspenders version of bear defense.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been sprayed in the eyes/face with OC in training a few times. After being sprayed, we were required to draw our PR-24 baton, administer a few jabs/strikes to a training bag, then handcuff a semi-compliant fellow student.

Bottom line, OC will make your eyes/nose burn and runny, make you wish to close your eyes, make it hard to breathe, irritate your mouth, throat, lungs, sinus.

And you knew it was coming, and you held your breath. If you'd never seen or heard of the stuff before and you were bellowing and snorting and running and somebody sprayed your face with about ten of those little squirts (like you recieved in training) all at once (equivalent to the UDAP) you'd have gone down like you took a 240 burst in the chest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil had his right hand on his revolver and his left hand on the spray, which may be the belt and suspenders version of bear defense.

I see an opportunity for a new Cabelas' product there...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

And you knew it was coming, and you held your breath. If you'd never seen or heard of the stuff before and you were bellowing and snorting and running and somebody sprayed your face with about ten of those little squirts (like you recieved in training) all at once (equivalent to the UDAP) you'd have gone down like you took a 240 burst in the chest.

I've been hit with OC and I've seen others get hit. Not a squirt, a sustained stream from less than 2 feet away after doing a fair amount of PT, i.e. you are sweating and breathing hard. No way to not get the "full effect". And in my case the fun just started. There was work to do while you were feeling the awesomeness.

Different people react differently, dunno about bears. But I do know that if the wind is wrong I'm [bleep]. I don't carry bear spray, but I do carry a 629 or a 586 stoked with rounds that will do what I need them to do.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You might as well add this tool to your anti-bear arsenal.
It might prevent any major internal damage when YOU wear it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11916675&010=SKU-10922384&003=3934892&camp=CSE:Nextag:11916675

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil had his right hand on his revolver and his left hand on the spray, which may be the belt and suspenders version of bear defense.

I like that...spray and if that don't work..... I'd hate to shoot a bear unless it was the only alternative....but I'd hate it worse to not be able to shoot a bear if the only alternative was me getting chewed on.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd also hate not being able to shoot a 2-legged varmint because it was more than 30 feet away--and 30 feet is about the outer limit for pepper spray.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what I'm getting from this is that the term "spray and pray" really originated with capsicum ursine repellants, not with nine millimeter pistols as is commonly believed.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It was a combination of the two... grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Keep guessing.

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.