Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action
2. Surgeon Long action bottom metal
3. Kreiger #2 24" 280 AI barrel (questionable)
4. McMillan Remington Hunter stock
5. Jewell trigger (I was kinda iffy on this one)
6. Leupold PRW rings
7. Glass is totally undecided

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

So, any criticisms or advice? Anything I'm forgetting?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds very nice.

I'd go blind mag, an EDGE, and skip the Jewell. Great trigger but on a rough and tumble hunting rifle I prefer simpler, more robust fire control.

It'll be great just the way you specced it though.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
-Skip the bottom metal go ADL
-#2 Kreiger CM barrel pretty small for a Rem Hunter Mcmillan, I'd go classic & move up to #3 or #4 SS.

Jewel triggers have mixed reviews, but they work for me and like'em alot.

Just my opinion^^^^

Anyway you go, look forward to seeing the completed pictures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe some Talleys instead of the PRWs? Just as solid, but much lighter. I'd make sure that tube went at least .6" at the muzzle, after having rifles with skinnier barrels.

Sounds AWESOME though.

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by slg888
-Skip the bottom metal go ADL
-#2 Kreiger CM barrel pretty small for a Rem Hunter Mcmillan, I'd go classic & move up to #3 or #4 SS.

Jewel triggers have mixed reviews, but they work for me and like'em alot.

Just my opinion^^^^

Anyway you go, look forward to seeing the completed pictures.

I didn't think Kreiger would go below #5 in SS. Am I reading their chart wrong?

Is the bottom metal preference a performance preference or just personal?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
IC B2

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Sounds very nice.

I'd go blind mag, an EDGE, and skip the Jewell. Great trigger but on a rough and tumble hunting rifle I prefer simpler, more robust fire control.

It'll be great just the way you specced it though.

TBH I didn't go EDGE because I wanted some molded in color. 85 black, 15 purple (I know it's not for everyone, but I think I'm going to like it)

Would the standard Xmark be a better way to go?

Anyone have an opinion on the kreigher vs. lothar walther?

Last edited by Torque; 09/16/12.

George Orwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Torque
85 black, 15 purple

I know that they all come out different, but I'd be afraid that you won't even see the purple with that combo and ratio.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't think Kreiger would go below #5 in SS. Am I reading their chart wrong?

Is the bottom metal preference a performance preference or just personal?
In .284 they may go #4 SS, I'm not 100% sure Torque.

Bottom metal is preference, see no need to have the 'Sniper lookin box' hanging down below my stock, not neccesary for a hunting rig IMO. If I wanted a DBM, I'd go H&S flush mount. I think they just came out with Gen-2.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ColdBore
85 black, 15 purple

I know that they all come out different, but I'd be afraid that you won't even see the purple with that combo and ratio.
I agree with Gary. Maybe in the bright ass sunshine you may see some purple.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action
2. Surgeon Long action bottom metal
3. Kreiger #2 24" 280 AI barrel (questionable)
4. McMillan Remington Hunter stock
5. Jewell trigger (I was kinda iffy on this one)
6. Leupold PRW rings
7. Glass is totally undecided

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

So, any criticisms or advice? Anything I'm forgetting?

Are you stuck on the Surgeon 1086? there nice but designed more for a tactical setup and pretty heavy, you might look at a Defiance or Borden action, a Rock Creek #3 5R barrel is the perfect hunting contour and they shoot awesome,save your $$ on the surgeon BM, an ADL would be cheaper and lighter, you won't find a nicer trigger than a jewell, if not a Jewell than get a regular factory trigger tuned by Niel Jones and by all means skip the Xmark, and it's hard to beat a Mcm classic for all around hunting unless the Rem hunter fits you better and a #5 is the smallest Kreiger will go on a SS .284, Bartlien may go a bit smaller but you would need to call Frank Green to find out,study the blueprints for other builds alot of info in there ,I would try to keep it 7 3/4- 8 #'s all up...good luck with your project!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned numerous Jewell triggers for my competition rifles and generally have had good luck with them, the one issue I did have was an intermittent fail to fire (trigger would not release). I had not made any adjustment to it except to set it at an even 2# so it was not a self-induced failure, I sent it back to Jewell and they took care of it.

However with that being said I would be a bit hesitant to put one on a hunting rifle since that incident. I recently purchased a Shilen trigger and could not be happier, it was $85 at Midway, I put it on one of my varmint rifles, adjusted it to 1 - 1/4 pound pull, and with my electronic pull gauge it is within an ounce on every pull.

Here is where I am on it -
for competition (weight of pull less than 1 pound) go with the Jewell, for hunting go with the Shilen. I am thinking that the Shilen is one of the great bargains out there, the break is as crisp and clean-breaking as a Jewell (set at hunting weights), it was less than half-price and is a simpler design.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Aside from the cleaning/rusting possibilities why go for the ss over the chrome moly to achieve the contour ?

George Orwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Call me crazy but.. seeing as your going all out on the other stuff.

the heart of any rifle is the barrel.. why'd you choose kreiger?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by drover
I have owned numerous Jewell triggers for my competition rifles and generally have had good luck with them, the one issue I did have was an intermittent fail to fire (trigger would not release). I had not made any adjustment to it except to set it at an even 2# so it was not a self-induced failure, I sent it back to Jewell and they took care of it.

However with that being said I would be a bit hesitant to put one on a hunting rifle since that incident. I recently purchased a Shilen trigger and could not be happier, it was $85 at Midway, I put it on one of my varmint rifles, adjusted it to 1 - 1/4 pound pull, and with my electronic pull gauge it is within an ounce on every pull.

Here is where I am on it -
for competition (weight of pull less than 1 pound) go with the Jewell, for hunting go with the Shilen. I am thinking that the Shilen is one of the great bargains out there, the break is as crisp and clean-breaking as a Jewell (set at hunting weights), it was less than half-price and is a simpler design.

drover

The Shilen is somewhat less exspensive, but a Jewell is the best feeling trigger I've ever used,and I have yet to have any issues so I will run them till I do, I just think they get alot of negative press that is not warranted, If they are setup correctly and in good working order they work and feel great, I guess I could used a Shilen if I had to... smile

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Cocadori

This is only my second project. So, I'm pretty new. The tone of your question suggests you think there are better barrels out there. I selected Kreiger based on two things:1)reputation,The vast majority of people I read that talk about their Kreigers love them. 2)customer service. My original choice was Brux. I have contacted them on two separate occasions about shank length. I realize I'm still a newb about this so my questions may have been phrased incorrectly. I needed to get the shank length for the McMillan stock fitting when I ordered (Rick called and needed it) it since it was going to be fitted with an oversized recoil lug. They gave me the shank length off of their website. To clarify my question, I reiterated the measurement I needed and why. They gave me the same measurement again. It's nothing against them, but they seemed to busy to give me a correct answer, and they didnt bother to call me to clarify. Kreiger on the other hand answered all of my questions, gave me the correct measurements the first time I called. Once again, that is not a burn against Brux, the impression I got is that they were very busy.

So, which barrel would you suggest?

George Orwell
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
BTW, thank you all very much for the feedback and suggestions. My questions to you are not meant to argue with your suggestions. I just want to understand the "why" of the choice.

George Orwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cocadori

This is only my second project. So, I'm pretty new. The tone of your question suggests you think there are better barrels out there. I selected Kreiger based on two things:1)reputation,The vast majority of people I read that talk about their Kreigers love them. 2)customer service. My original choice was Brux. I have contacted them on two separate occasions about shank length. I realize I'm still a newb about this so my questions may have been phrased incorrectly. I needed to get the shank length for the McMillan stock fitting when I ordered (Rick called and needed it) it since it was going to be fitted with an oversized recoil lug. They gave me the shank length off of their website. To clarify my question, I reiterated the measurement I needed and why. They gave me the same measurement again. It's nothing against them, but they seemed to busy to give me a correct answer, and they didnt bother to call me to clarify. Kreiger on the other hand answered all of my questions, gave me the correct measurements the first time I called. Once again, that is not a burn against Brux, the impression I got is that they were very busy.

So, which barrel would you suggest?

Bartlein or Rock

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I highly doubt Krieger takes much of a back seat if any to Bartlien or Rock Creek, show me a better barrel crafter than these three......I didn't think so smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not a thing wrong with most any barrel. Pretty odd for someone to question why you'd choose a brand??...wth.....unless its for contour reasons. Kreiger makes a fine barrel...but so does everyone else. I'd choose a maker that will contour a ss barrel in contour you'd want.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Purple and black sounds cool but like some have said it won't show up...will be a blacked out wash. I can imagine what your lookin for but have to advice as how to get there. It a roll of the dice man!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.