Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Smart woman. You better hang on to her.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
The last time that I hiked along the AT, I ran into a group of Mennonite (aka "car Amish") families at one of the more popular scenic overlooks. They had to walk close to four miles, one way, to get there. Some of the mothers, wearing full-length dresses, were even carrying babies that were too young to walk on their own, and there were plenty of other children along, too.

I'd have felt pretty stupid if I showed up wearing an 8" barrelled .44+ caliber cannon strapped across my chest. YMMV.

Exactly. Same with the NP's. I know I can, I just choose to be discreet.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by toad
and in what world is the 4#+ .45-70 BFR a 'hiking revolver'?

The one where people want to live and not be desert.

You obviously do lots of hiking.

Travis

I used to and there a lots of other ways to shave weight without putting you life on the line.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah, it's called scandium.

Give "dramatic" another go. You're almost there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it's called scandium.

Give "dramatic" another go. You're almost there.

Travis

Well I'll let you look for a 475 Limbaugh in Scandium.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'll let you tell me which portion of the Appalachian [bleep] Trail requires a .475 Linebaugh.

I'm all ears.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll let you tell me which portion of the Appalachian [bleep] Trail requires a .475 Linebaugh.

I'm all ears.

Travis

So you've move to [bleep] Appalachian area now LOL. Travis you're a dick.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The OP is asking about a revolver for the AT.

A dick? What are you, captain obvious today?

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by raverym14
First time post. I am going hiking on the Appalachian Trail in 2 weeks, and wondering what some thoughts are on loads and guns for carrying along. I have a Smith 21 .44 Spl and a Smith 57 .41 Mag. I also have a Super Redhawk .480......

Out of those three, I'd roll with the M21 44 Spl.

Buffalo Bore makes a 255gr SWC at 1000 fps. That wouldn't be horrid, if you don't roll your own.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=88

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
S&W Mdl 43... wink

This, then...

If.. If a guy just had to carry a gun on the AT, this would be ideal...

Highly accurate, very lightweight, and will do all that needs doing with a handgun on any AT trip.

The threat of aggressive dogs or rabid critters is real, if slight.
The protection offered by such a revolver as the original Model 43 is just as real as the threat, and handily carried, as well.

I'd still have along the battery operated motion detector alarm, as an aid to sound sleep. And the canister of OC would still and always be my preferred protective device.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd still go Kahr P45 (very flat, very light, 7 rounds) or Glock M22 (can't hurt the damn thing, massive firepower) if people and digs and "critters" were the main worry.

If it's bears, especially large ones, you need to tool up for that a little different, I'm told.

But 7 rounds of .45 ACP in a pistol you forget it's even there because it's so light is pretty cool.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We are not talking about a romp through a Kodiak Island alder thicket or a trek over the Khyber Pass of A-Stan, this is the [bleep] Appalachian Trail. Cannons are not needed, nor is fire superiority, despite what you crazy bastards might imagine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap

The why is easy. They want to be rich and famous, a legend in their own time MIND. grin

Fixed it for ya...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
We are not talking about a romp through a Kodiak Island alder thicket or a trek over the Khyber Pass of A-Stan, this is the [bleep] Appalachian Trail. Cannons are not needed, nor is fire superiority, despite what you crazy bastards might imagine.

You can tell who's done time under a heavy load or two. I spent some time in Bob Marshall this summer. Didn't mind the weight of a Glock 20 one bit. There it's justified. On the AT, I'd carry something a bit lighter, but I have several to choose from. A S&W 360 357mag Scandium Kit Gun is about perfect, unfortunately they no longer make them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Ha! Jeepers-creepers, it's the AT for crying out loud! I've been to "one" of the two--not A-stan or Kodiak, but the upper reaches of the Kuskoquim River in AK where we saw brownies every day, some considerably within 100 yds. I've also spent time in the Bob
Where I saw a bear (blacks, though there are obv griz there too) for every two days there.
That's all.. smile. I agree with those who stated the first greatest challenge with carrying a side-arm is deciding when and how you'd use it, not the WHAT you'd carry, then your skill level, then the armamentarium.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/17/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You guys do realize, don't you, that Ravery, the OP, hasn't posted since the day he started this thread and he hasn't been on-line for more than a week?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
He's probably on the AT. He said two weeks.

Hope he makes it out alive, however unlikely that may be without all the essential knowledge/wisdom shared here......grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
He's probably on the AT. He said two weeks.

Hope he makes it out alive, however unlikely that may be without all the essential wisdom shared here......grin

Ha! Hope he makes it back in one piece. If he hasn't been eaten by an 800 lb. black bear, or sexually molested by a gang of toothless hillbilly meth addicts he should consider himself lucky.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Reminds me of a local news story. A hiker went missing in the Bob Marshall about a year ago. He was a former Marine, LEO guy. Found his remains just recently.

The newspaper story said he had a 38 revolver. They think the weather got him though. Bad early storm rolled in on him, and it looked like he made a makeshift shelter under some boulders.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Day hiker? No tent?

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
204 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.